Media Fast

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Media Fast

Post by craigr »

I'm in the middle of a 30 day media fast. Not reading any news at all (I never really read financial news before anyway). I haven't done this in a while, but I forgot how relaxing it is. A lot less tension and I'm able to focus on projects that are more important than staying up to date on largely useless information.

If you've never done one, give it a shot and see how much more relaxed you are. If something really big and newsworthy is going on, you'll hear about from the people you know. Think of it like a big noise filter for information you need to pay attention to vs. a bunch of irrelevant stuff the media makes to stay in business.
TripleB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Media Fast

Post by TripleB »

I've toyed with the idea, Craig, but ultimately I enjoy reading the news and find it to be a mental exercise. It makes me feel more connected to the world because of reading the news daily. I also feel like reading the news makes me more of a citizen than a subject.

On the extreme end, if no one read the news, the government would be able to get away with anything they wanted. Then one you find TSA groping your 6 y/o in front of your home garage because no one bothered to make a big deal over the incremental unconstitutional activity they have been up to. Because of the news, and social networking, the TSA was forced to apologize this week for violating the rights of passengers coming OFF a train in the US. Much like "terrorists" are said to do certain things to see the reaction of police, I believe the government does certain things to see the reaction of the people.

On a mental exercise level, I find that I enjoy thinking critically about the news each morning. I pretend to be a consultant and advise the business or political leaders who are making decisions. Of course, no one is listening, but the act of synthesizing the advise, and outlining the various angles seems to provide self stimulation.

I will say that the news I should be avoiding is that of consumer technology. I go through cyclical periods in my life where I check sites like Engadget and other sites daily to find out about the newest iShit device, then get super excited in anticipation of it coming, only to be massively dissapointed once it launches and I read the reviews. I find that in times of my life where I only check sporadically, I feel better, and then get a nice surprise when I'm able to buy something without the hyped anticipation, and frequent vaporware announcements.

For example, I waited 4 years for Pulp Fiction to come out on Blu Ray, frequently reading of new and new delays. If I just didn't think about it, or head any news on it, and just saw it in Wal Mart one day, I'd be much happier.

As far as financial news, most of it isn't really actionable, especially if you are using the PP, so even if I listen to it, it doesn't cause me to do anything. I've learned not to be anxious about anything that happens.
Indices
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Indices »

I work in PR so I can't do it. I think it would work wonders though. The news is very depressing.
smurff
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by smurff »

TripleB wrote:
On a mental exercise level, I find that I enjoy thinking critically about the news each morning. I pretend to be a consultant and advise the business or political leaders who are making decisions. Of course, no one is listening, but the act of synthesizing the advise, and outlining the various angles seems to provide self stimulation.
This is a good idea, BBB, and helps keep you from freaking out over weird stuff that happens.  Especially since the process allows you to come up with solutions.  And when you see the officials actually coming up (independently) with some of the same solutions you did, it increases your confidence in your own problem-solving skills.

In some countries with parliamentary systems (especially those that are part of the British Commonwealth), political parties have actually formalized this strategy.  When the winning party appoints ministers and other officials to take control of government after an election, the other political parties each appoint their own "shadow government," complete with their own shadow ministers, to follow the actions of the real ones in power.  (The term "shadow" in this case does not refer to anything nefarious.  It refers to the thing that follows you and moves like you when the light is shining.)

The shadow ministers consult and advise their own party leaders on what actions their own party should have taken given the party platform, what mistakes their counterparts make, and what the next step should be given the action taken.  This is one explanation for why in such countries when a new party comes into power, they already have experienced individuals, fully ready to take on the ministerial positions, with a minimal need to re-invent the learning wheel. 
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

craigr wrote: I'm in the middle of a 30 day media fast.
This actually doesn't strike me as that big a challenge. 

It's not usually that hard to channel surf through Fox News or CNBC unless there is something particularly offensive going on (not in the news, but just on one of their train wreck programs). 
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
Wonk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Wonk »

craigr wrote: If you've never done one, give it a shot and see how much more relaxed you are. If something really big and newsworthy is going on, you'll hear about from the people you know. Think of it like a big noise filter for information you need to pay attention to vs. a bunch of irrelevant stuff the media makes to stay in business.
I converted to a low-information diet a while back and I agree it can be liberating.  I don't do news anymore as I find it distracting to my other interests.  I'll check in periodically for "just in time" information sourcing rather than "just in case" perusing of daily headlines.  You will get some weird looks from time to time though.  Over the weekend someone mentioned Muammar Gaddafi and I wondered out loud where he might be hiding.  I got the raised eyebrow and snarky "Man, he's been dead for a few weeks.  Do you live in a black hole?"

I guess so.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Adam1226 wrote:
craigr wrote: I'm in the middle of a 30 day media fast.
This actually doesn't strike me as that big a challenge.  

It's not usually that hard to channel surf through Fox News or CNBC unless there is something particularly offensive going on (not in the news, but just on one of their train wreck programs).  
In general I watch no television except for NetFlix from time to time. So I not only am not watching the news, but I have very little knowledge of a lot of pop culture relating to TV shows. I tended to be more news oriented than TV show oriented so giving it up was a little harder. But I emphasize just a little.

But the positive is that I've been incredibly more productive the past few weeks. Reading some news or commentary a few minutes here and few minutes there really starts to add up. Not to mention breaking concentration and keeping thinking towards interrupt-driven instead of allowing long periods to concentrate.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Wonk wrote:"Man, he's been dead for a few weeks.  Do you live in a black hole?"

I guess so.
And the fact that he knew about it immediately still had absolutely no impact on his life one way or another.
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

craigr wrote: I'm in the middle of a 30 day media fast. Not reading any news at all (I never really read financial news before anyway). I haven't done this in a while, but I forgot how relaxing it is. A lot less tension and I'm able to focus on projects that are more important than staying up to date on largely useless information.
Great idea.  I agree that this feels fantastic.

I take the occasional "news fast" when the news starts to feel particularly contentious or tedious.  (The wrangling over the debt ceiling, for example, kicked off a most-pleasurable two-week fast.)

It's an opportunity to take your precious time and apply it to gathering information or performing tasks that you actually enjoy.  What could be more important?

Enjoy your time off.  Try not to get too jealous of those of us that are getting up-to-the-minute details about the latest man\men that Kim Kardashian\Lindsay Lohan is\is not currently dating\married to\in jail with.