Dietz Oil Burning Lanterns

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Dietz Oil Burning Lanterns

Post by Coffee »

Anybody else here into dietz-style oil burning lanterns? I figure this forum is just quirky enough to have somebody else who is also into these things.  Pretty cool little contraptions!

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dietz Oil Burning Lanterns

Post by Lone Wolf »

I've never actually held one myself but I've always loved the look of these things!

Reminds me of what I imagined myself holding when I played the marvelous Zork series back in the day.  :)  (A kid needs a good lantern to keep the grues off his back.)

Do you own one?  Where'd you pick it up?
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I have one.  I've had it since I was a kid.

I don't use it.  I just look at it.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i have a two of these antique brass mine lamps that i am waiting to pick up from my parents house, they will most likely be decorations only..

-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

Lone Wolf wrote: I've never actually held one myself but I've always loved the look of these things!

Reminds me of what I imagined myself holding when I played the marvelous Zork series back in the day.  :)  (A kid needs a good lantern to keep the grues off his back.)

Do you own one?  Where'd you pick it up?
I don't own one of the brass ones... yet.  I'm thinking of collecting them, though.  I've got a few of the cheaper Wal Mart "hurricane lamps" that I've been playing with (same design, more cheaply made, painted metal in black or fire house red).  I marvel at the simplicity of the design and the history behind these lamps. 

A little oil goes a long way. (Sounds like a Hannukah story, eh?)

Lamp oil (sythetic kerosene) works a lot better, because it burns clean and doesn't smell like the kerosene does. 

There's a whole community of collectors and more info, here:
http://www.lanternnet.com/
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
hogtied
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by hogtied »

I own three.  I hang one outside near the driveway on a pole at night when company is coming over.  We live on a semi-rural dark road.  It helps our guests find the house easier.  We also use one in our truck camper to take the chill off before we retire at night.  Also have two hurricane oil lamps in the house for the in between time for when we loose power and before we get the generator going.