Honor Blackman passed away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LaDY9kjEE0

Goldfinger was one of my favorite Bond movies
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by vnatale » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:03 pm

While I was outside tonight, sitting in the sun while reading and listening to music (judging by the local forecast looks like I will not be having that opportunity again for a while!) this song popped up my iPod:

Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue - Toby Keith - Lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PXSK3iDeAI

Note: I have 10,611 songs on my iPod, almost every one of them handpicked. Meaning while I was listening to my CDs I put a note on each one that I wanted to later add one or two (or more) songs to my iTunes. It was few and far between when I'd add an entire CD. I think I did this 2007. Not added a song since. And, because there are so many songs on it (which I listen to on shuffle) for many of them it's only the second time I'm hearing that song. First time when I heard it on CD and now again when it pops up on shuffle.

Anyone know if an iPod shuffle is completely random? I.e., when I shut off the iPod is it completely forgetting the last songs it'd picked for shuffle?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:19 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:09 pm
Vinny, you and my GF must be the only 2 people left on earth that still use ipods rather than their phones for music. 2001 called and wants their music player back.
My iPod holds 150 GB of music. How much would you need to pay for a phone with that capacity?

Sometimes single use devices ARE the best devices for what they do. The iPod is so extremely well designed. While working in my garden today, without looking, I can easily change the volume or advance the song. No having to pull it out and look at endless menus / apps. Simple dedicated use. Jobs really was a genius in terms of design. I own just about everything Apple, except for the computers, which I think are way overpriced for their performance.

Plus, I already own it and all those 10,600+ songs are already on it. I cannot remember how long it took to put all those songs on at once but I think it must have taken a fair amount of time. I bought it used for $150 in 2007 and it is STILL going strong! Can play for many, many, many hours before it runs out. How long does a phone battery last for playing music?

I listen to the music on it using these: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000AJIF4E/ ... _lig_dp_it

Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone

Can believe how good the music STILL sounds on such old technology as that iPod.

And, I LOVE the headphones so much I bought another pair to keep and use at my office.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:32 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:19 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:09 pm
Vinny, you and my GF must be the only 2 people left on earth that still use ipods rather than their phones for music. 2001 called and wants their music player back.
My iPod holds 150 GB of music. How much would you need to pay for a phone with that capacity?

Sometimes single use devices ARE the best devices for what they do. The iPod is so extremely well designed. While working in my garden today, without looking, I can easily change the volume or advance the song. No having to pull it out and look at endless menus / apps. Simple dedicated use. Jobs really was a genius in terms of design. I own just about everything Apple, except for the computers, which I think are way overpriced for their performance.

Plus, I already own it and all those 10,600+ songs are already on it. I cannot remember how long it took to put all those songs on at once but I think it must have taken a fair amount of time. I bought it used for $150 in 2007 and it is STILL going strong! Can play for many, many, many hours before it runs out. How long does a phone battery last for playing music?

I listen to the music on it using these: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000AJIF4E/ ... _lig_dp_it

Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone

Can believe how good the music STILL sounds on such old technology as that iPod.

And, I LOVE the headphones so much I bought another pair to keep and use at my office.

Vinny
This is the phone I bought June 2018 - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi ... l_huc_view

Motorola Moto G6 (32GB, 3GB RAM) Dual SIM 5.7" 4G LTE (GSM Only) Factory Unlocked Smartphone International Model XT1925-2 (Deep Indigo)

I bought it at the time because it was the least expensive phone to use with Google Fi. I did pay $200 for it and it came with only 16GB so far too little memory to handle 10,600+ songs. I could have bought more GB but then it would have taken forever to convert the songs from the Apple music format to run on an Android? Or, not?

Finally I am NOT a cell phone person! Today was the first time I touched it in at least 3 weeks (if not longer). I can get everything else done that a cell phone can do better or faster or both in some other way. ESPECIALLY when I am home.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:35 am

I used an iPod until a couple years ago when I got a.. Moto G6.

Luddites unite!
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:47 am

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:51 am

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:33 am
vnatale wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:32 pm
I can get everything else done that a cell phone can do better or faster or both in some other way. ESPECIALLY when I am home.

Vinny
How do you text? My adult children, friends and GF using texting as their main form of communication.
I DON"T text!

I maintain no relationships with people that require such demanding, intrusive type communications.

Being an asynchronous form of communication Email was made for me! I look at it when I want to and I respond to it when I want to. I'm in total control when I respond as opposing to receiving a text that says "Respond NOW!"

How did you live your life prior to having the ability to texting? That's the way I live mine although I essentially stopped using the phone on any form of regular basis long ago. I know that I'm in the extreme in terms of maintaining any form of communication which either synchronous or near synchronous.

Just yesterday during our staff meeting someone brought up whether we should start using Slack. Only a few people were familiar with it. I immediately piped up and stated, "Some people hate it. It's just like texting. Demands your immediate attention with an immediate response."

Finally texting is generally done on a phone. I fly on a computer keyboards in terms of how much I can type in a given time. Therefore it is extreme torture for me to use a phone which requires any more than the minimal inputting. I've actually had to simplify some of my complex passwords because I just could never successfully type them on a phone.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:57 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:35 am
I used an iPod until a couple years ago when I got a.. Moto G6.

Luddites unite!
It was just confirmed for me last night that my present iPod with its 10,611 songs is the way to go.

I sent one of the songs on it to the musician whose CD I got it from. The song I sent to him was in WMA format. He told me he was not able to open it either on his MAC or his Android phone.

IF I had the capacity on my Moto G6 (which I don't having only 16GB on it) how much time would it take to convert 10,611 songs (120GB!) to a format that COULD be opened by an Android phone. I'd guess hours on end! Maybe even days!

Again, sometimes single purpose devices are the best tool for the mission as opposed to the five in one (or, in the case of phones 100 in one).

I'll take any of my Lumix digital cameras over the performance of any camera in any phone.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:13 am

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:59 am
Nice for you that your world allows that. In my world, if I don't text, it takes hours if not days to get a response by email.
Yes, one of the benefits of living a fairly isolated social life.

The speed at which you and I are communicating regarding this is perfect for me when taking into account the degree of control it gives me.

That said, I'm realizing I do use one form of texting or instant messaging. Messenger. I use it via Facebook and I was using it last night with two musicians plus I'll use it for "live" chats with softball teammates. But in ALL cases I'm doing it via this (computer) keyboard and not being tortured by having to use the phone keyboard.

I've trained people to understand that if you want my attention, don't call. Send me an email.

Even my office phone can get unused for weeks at a time. Almost all external communications are done via email. ZERO texting and phone calls only when that IS going to be the most efficient way to get work done with someone else.

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:17 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:13 am

That said, I'm realizing I do use one form of texting or instant messaging. Messenger. I use it via Facebook and I was using it last night with two musicians plus I'll use it for "live" chats with softball teammates.

Vinny
Not to derail the thread further, but I'm surprised you use Facebook/Messenger given all the privacy/ethics concerns re. Facebook. :o
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:02 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:17 am
vnatale wrote:

That said, I'm realizing I do use one form of texting or instant messaging. Messenger. I use it via Facebook and I was using it last night with two musicians plus I'll use it for "live" chats with softball teammates.

Vinny
Not to derail the thread further, but I'm surprised you use Facebook/Messenger given all the privacy/ethics concerns re. Facebook. :o
The whole privacy issue is not an issue for me. And, further elaborate on what you see as being the "ethics' issue.

I am a frequent user of Facebook, particularly for getting out the 1,000's pictures I take of live music and all the games of softball and basketball in which I'm a participant. And, it's a particularly useful tool for me and my softball teammates communicating with one another, e.g., who can or not make the next game.

Just a tool like any other tool that can be used for good or bad.

Just like we all loved the telephone when it was invented (well, not "us" but you know what I'm saying) but it also allowed the criminal element to do their work more efficiently and effectively.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:04 am

Mac DeMarco - On the Level
https://youtu.be/jh0hu5uK1Ic
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:37 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:02 am
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
The whole privacy issue is not an issue for me. And, further elaborate on what you see as being the "ethics' issue.

I am a frequent user of Facebook, particularly for getting out the 1,000's pictures I take of live music and all the games of softball and basketball in which I'm a participant. And, it's a particularly useful tool for me and my softball teammates communicating with one another, e.g., who can or not make the next game.

Just like we all loved the telephone when it was invented (well, not "us" but you know what I'm saying) but it also allowed the criminal element to do their work more efficiently and effectively.

Vinny
To each his own re ethics and privacy issues (or non-issues). I wish you the best in your use of Facebook. I just don't trust Zuckerberg any more than Hillary; they both have reasonably long track records and Zuckerberg seems to be the worst of the big tech companies. YMMV. You could likely make the same case re Amazon, Google, and Apple. I think Apple has the best record, even though it too probably has some skeletons in the closet. ;)

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/facebook ... 022a646c61

https://www.cmswire.com/digital-marketi ... in-ethics/

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-med ... es-n859651
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:41 am

Identify common backyard birds. Might as well while we're stuck here.
https://youtu.be/gSiH4fAXkl4
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:53 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:37 am
vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:02 am
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Vinny
To each his own re ethics and privacy issues (or non-issues). I wish you the best in your use of Facebook. I just don't trust Zuckerberg any more than Hillary; they both have reasonably long track records and Zuckerberg seems to be the worst of the big tech companies. YMMV. You could likely make the same case re Amazon, Google, and Apple. I think Apple has the best record, even though it too probably has some skeletons in the closet. ;)

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/facebook ... 022a646c61

https://www.cmswire.com/digital-marketi ... in-ethics/

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-med ... es-n859651
I trust our senators, large corporations (especially pharmaceutical ones) the FDA, the medical profession, and many others whose $$$ conflicted decisions affect me and everyone else in this country to a far lower degree than Facebook (for whatever it has done or will ever do). For me the potential negatives from Facebook are far overwhelmed by its positives.

I'm sure that if I could document all the potential privacy and ethics problems with cell phones no one here would stop using them. Cell phone usage is now considered an essential for probably 98% of our population.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:12 am

C'mon guys. You're filling up entire pages with unrelated content, and even worse, quotes of unrelated content.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:14 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:12 am
C'mon guys. You're filling up entire pages with unrelated content, and even worse, quotes of unrelated content.
The culture here (which I appreciate) is that, somehow, it's always ALL related....just like the way if you and I were in person having a conversation we'd be weaving back and forth between different topics.

Vinny
Last edited by vnatale on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:14 am
dualstow wrote:
The culture here (which I appreciate) is that in some way it's ALL related....
Of course it is, but when I get a notification that there's a new post in the youtube thread, it's kind of disappointing to find no links and just the same rants I can find in seven other threads. What's the point of making every single thread a mish-mash of anything goes.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:20 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 am
vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:14 am
dualstow wrote:
The culture here (which I appreciate) is that in some way it's ALL related....
Of course it is, but when I get a notification that there's a new post in the youtube thread, it's kind of disappointing to find no links and just the same rants I can find in seven other threads. What's the point of making every single thread a mish-mash of anything goes.
Your point is well taken. I can easily live with either as I read them all no matter where they appear.

Vinny
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:14 pm

MangoMan wrote:
vnatale wrote:
I can get everything else done that a cell phone can do better or faster or both in some other way. ESPECIALLY when I am home.

Vinny
How do you text? My adult children, friends and GF using texting as their main form of communication.

When my phone rings, I expect to hear a human voice. If you want to send me a text message, call Western Union.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:34 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:14 pm
MangoMan wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

When my phone rings, I expect to hear a human voice. If you want to send me a text message, call Western Union.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinny
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:05 am

Best Of Louie De Palma - Danny DeVito (Taxi)

"You wanna pedal dope? Ok. Deal in white slavery? Ok. But if I ever hear the word "accident," I will rip your head off and use it for a radiator cap."

https://youtu.be/3lK-BbGUD3U
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:55 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:05 am
Best Of Louie De Palma - Danny DeVito (Taxi)

"You wanna pedal dope? Ok. Deal in white slavery? Ok. But if I ever hear the word "accident," I will rip your head off and use it for a radiator cap."
https://youtu.be/3lK-BbGUD3U
And shortly after that, "What did you, put a quarantine sign in the window?!"
I really love this character. Whoever wrote his lines is brilliant, and who else could play him like Danny DeVito? The theme song is my favorite song of all time.
RIP Marcello Gandini