Bernstein's The Ages of the Investor E-Book

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Bernstein's The Ages of the Investor E-Book

Post by WildAboutHarry »

I just finished reading this short e-book.

He discusses various aspects of life-cycle investing and offers an insightful view of liability matching in retirement.

He suggests establishing two portfolios:

A liability-matching portfolio invested very conservatively and scaled to meet income needs in retirement.  The liability-matching portfolio covers spending prior to receipt of social security/pensions and the difference between spending and social security/pensions after those start.

Assuming your assets exceed the needs of the liability-matching portfolio, he considers the balance to be the risk portfolio, to be invested to meet the intended ultimate use (charity, inheritance, etc.).

The liability-matching portfolio concept is one that I have not considered (and if you are not close to retirement it is probably not very interesting) but it is useful to consider how one would fund retirement with various permutations of spending assets, social security/pension payments, etc.

And I was struck by the two-portfolio concept he discusses.  Kind of like the HBPP and the VP.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison