The true nature of matter

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

The true nature of matter

Post by doodle »

So I've started reading a bit more lately in the realm of quantum physics (looking at things at the atomic and subatomic level). Although on a macro scale we appear to inhabit a material world, on an atomic level we are 99.9999999999 etc. empty space....which makes me wonder more about what "matter" really is. I'm curious if anyone has done any delving into this subject and has some good reading that they recommend. I find it fascinating to discover that the reality as it appears to our five senses is really quite different from the reality that modern science is beginning to uncover.
All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone. - Blaise Pascal
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The true nature of matter

Post by dualstow »

I've read Quantum Reality by Nick Herbert, although I'm sure there are tons of more recent books on the subject.
If you want something even more dated (and flawed), the Dancing Wu-li Masters is fun.

If I were to read a new book on the subject, I might go with author Brian Cox.

Oh, I've also read the cartoon guide to Q.P.
---
Murphy's Law:if Reub had bought silver (see SLV thread), then silver would have gone down.
Here's my summary of quantum physics: if you even look into quantum physics, you affect quantum physics.
Last edited by dualstow on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I like Lone Wolf's idea that we each have a kingdom within our skulls and that is the only reality we really know.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Gosso
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gosso »

I heard Joseph Campbell say this, "Those who think they know, don't know.  Those who know they don't know, know".

I just listened to a podcast with Joe Rogan and Duncan Trussell, which seems appropriate for this topic (they discuss Simulation Theory, and the nature of reality).  You can fast-forward to 44 minutes remaining, although the first few minutes with Gary Busey is great! (Warning: Contains vulgar language):

http://duncantrussell.com/joe-rogan-in- ... ssion_id=0
Last edited by Gosso on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by 6 Iron »

I really enjoyed reading Brian Greene's book on this topic several years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Elegant-Unive ... roduct_top

It might be tough sledding for those with a minimal science background, but is very clearly written and entertaining. He has other books dealing with time/space and the universe, that are also great. Bonne chance!
notsheigetz
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by notsheigetz »

doodle wrote: I'm curious if anyone has done any delving into this subject and has some good reading that they recommend. I find it fascinating to discover that the reality as it appears to our five senses is really quite different from the reality that modern science is beginning to uncover.
I think Timothy Leary did some serious study along these lines back in the 60's and early 70's. I did a few experiments myself and like Mr. Leary I learned early on that the pixels we see on our computer screens don't tell the whole story.
This space available for rent.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MediumTex wrote: I like Lone Wolf's idea that we each have a kingdom within our skulls and that is the only reality we really know.
A wise man once said that every person is the center of his/her own universe.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I discovered a really good book on Quantum Physics yesterday evening. Title is Quantum: A Guide for the Perplexedby Jim Al-Khalili. It's from 2003, so there are newer books out there, but I really like the layout of this one. Very clear, easy to understand text, interspersed with essays by other well-known scientists throughout. Even though I have other books on the subject, I think I'm going to have to pick this up.

Same bookstore: I noticed that the Bogleheads guide is still there, but nothing by Rowland/Lawson productions. I wonder if the pp book will end up there eventually.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Does matter really matter?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Thankfully, Harry set up a portfolio to thrive in both an expanding and a shrinking universe.