Executive Member

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:12 am

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:14 am

Canola oil is the only other one that's skyrocketed, but it looks like the graph is showing kg/p/y on both charts, so it's still about 12x less than soy.

I do wonder if there is something going on genetically. IE, populations that developed in warmer climates (where vegetable oils were grown) adapted to process them, whereas populations in colder climates (where animal fats are prevalent) adapted likewise.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:33 am

The main problem with canola, corn and soybean oil is that they're basically experimental. And it's not only the oils. The plants themselves are also new in the sense that they've been bred or engineered for yield, pest resistance etc. For example, wheat is an entirely new plant with substantial genetic differences from the wheat we've been eating for thousands of years.

With all the burgeoning random and poorly understood health problems, like: rise of depression & anxiety, ADHD, subjectively reported gluten sensitivity, undiagnosable "chronic fatigue" and "fibromyalgia" that's created a cottage industry for quacks, not to mention metabolic syndrome, you have to wonder about all these changes introduced into the food system in the name of reducing heart disease risk. Of course it's also possible that this is all just an effect of whiny worried well with too much time on their hands, a temptation to make medical care a hobby because someone else is paying for it, and an inability to deal with life the way their grandparents did, but there's evidence that some of these conditions are indeed real and increasingly common.

If I could go back and change one thing about history, it would be to wipe out Ancel Keyes. He should have been fired and forced to retract his papers, given all the scientific misconduct (cherry-picking data) and logical flaws (e.g. ignoring the effect of cigarette smoking).
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:01 am

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:33 am
If I could go back and change one thing about history, it would be to wipe out Ancel Keyes. He should have been fired and forced to retract his papers, given all the scientific misconduct (cherry-picking data) and logical flaws (e.g. ignoring the effect of cigarette smoking).
Yes!

Even now, though improving a lot because of the wisdom of crowds / internet effect, saturated fat still is demonized. Meat is somewhat demonized (lean cuts...). Eggs are getting less of a bad rap. Butter is doing better. Full fat milk (I can't believe I drank skim for decades). But cholesterol will still kill you if you don't take a statin.

It is heartening to see changes by companies that are appealing to Keto/Paleo in offering items that have much lower carbs and sugar. Full avocado oil mayo (but I don't like the taste!). Coconut oil offered everywhere now.

Soybean oil, though can still be found in way too much stuff. It is just amazing that it is in so many things.

But there is still a lot of continued misinformation

http://www.cardiobrief.org/2016/11/14/i ... reporters/

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:33 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:01 am
WiseOne wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:33 am
Yes!

Even now, though improving a lot because of the wisdom of crowds / internet effect, saturated fat still is demonized. Meat is somewhat demonized (lean cuts...). Eggs are getting less of a bad rap. Butter is doing better. Full fat milk (I can't believe I drank skim for decades). But cholesterol will still kill you if you don't take a statin.

It is heartening to see changes by companies that are appealing to Keto/Paleo in offering items that have much lower carbs and sugar. Full avocado oil mayo (but I don't like the taste!). Coconut oil offered everywhere now.

Soybean oil, though can still be found in way too much stuff. It is just amazing that it is in so many things.

But there is still a lot of continued misinformation

http://www.cardiobrief.org/2016/11/14/i ... reporters/

Are you saying that the picture you have here is an example of "misinformation"?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:21 pm

I haven’t read through this thread, but Smithers, how much Vitamin D do you take at once?
After some cursory reading, I ordered some since I don’t have access to the salmon I was buying pre-corona.
I only got 600 iu pills. In fact, they’re children’s vitamins. O0

As they say in Chinese, too much is too little.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:25 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:21 pm
I haven’t read through this thread, but Smithers, how much Vitamin D do you take at once?
After some cursory reading, I ordered some since I don’t have access to the salmon I was buying pre-corona.
I only got 600 iu pills. In fact, they’re children’s vitamins. O0

As they say in Chinese, too much is too little.
Currently taking 1800 IUs daily! This was on the recommendation of my family doctor.

To be fair, from what I was told, we Canadians need a lot of Vitamin D because of our lack of sun exposure. Those of you guys south of the border probably don't need as much.

I get 800 IUs from my multivitamin, and an additional 1000 from the dedicated Vitamin D supplement.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:42 pm

Thanks!
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:57 am

Strictly for the purposes of this virus season, I did 2 days in a row of 50,000 IU VD3, followed by daily 5,000 IU. That's too high for long term use, but I'll probably maintain it for a few months.

Normally I get enough sunshine that I don't supplement. I'll probably stop again when I can get back to some summer sunshine.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:05 am

50,000! Was that an experiment, Mark, or did that come from research?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:17 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:05 am
50,000! Was that an experiment, Mark, or did that come from research?
I don't know how widespread the recommendation is, but a lot of professionals attack the first sign of any flu like symptoms with a Vitamin D Hammer

Here's a bit from the abstract...
A colleague of mine and I have introduced vitamin D at doses that have achieved greater than 100 nmol/L in most of our patients for the past number of years, and we now see very few patients in our clinics with the flu or influenzalike illness. In those patients who do have influenza, we have treated them with the vitamin D hammer, as coined by my colleague. This is a 1-time 50 000 IU dose of vitamin D3 or 10 000 IU 3 times daily for 2 to 3 days. The results are dramatic, with complete resolution of symptoms in 48 to 72 hours. One-time doses of vitamin D at this level have been used safely and have never been shown to be toxic.8 We urgently need a study of this intervention. The cost of vitamin D is about a penny for 1000 IU, so this treatment costs less than a dollar.
I don't have symptoms, but I figured it couldn't hurt.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:27 am

Wow.
Vitamin D Hammer
a mjölnirvitamin complex
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:18 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:27 am
Wow.
Vitamin D Hammer
a mjölnirvitamin complex
Available (with price gouging) from Kriegsspiel's private bunker supply.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:01 pm

I'm on that D too. Probably don't have enough to support Mark's level of abuse, but I need to get more anyways. I like the chewable grape-flavored ones.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:33 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:01 pm
I'm on that D too. Probably don't have enough to support Mark's level of abuse, but I need to get more anyways. I like the chewable grape-flavored ones.
I have dissolvable watermelon ones, if only because everything else was over 600 IU.
d-rex.png
d-rex.png (113.85 KiB) Viewed 19882 times
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:35 pm

Not everyone can handle the D.

EDIT but also, goddamn dinosaur vitamins are great.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:42 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:39 am
Yep, my doctor told me to take 2000 IU / day after my blood levels at a winter physical were on the low side. The further south you live (as long as you are outside a fair amount) the less you need to supplement.
My doctor told me that literally almost everyone who lives in Canada is vitamin D deficient. In her opinion, basically every Canadian citizen should be supplementing.

The Vitamin D deficiency problem is so ubiquitous here that the blood test for it is no longer covered by our health care system. You have to pay out of pocket for it. It was $65 for me. :P
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:47 pm

I don't understand why you guys aren't eating seal livers or penguin blubber some weird local delicacy has vit D in it. Whatever you have stored in your igloos.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:57 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:47 pm
I don't understand why you guys aren't eating seal livers or penguin blubber some weird local delicacy has vit D in it. Whatever you have stored in your igloos.
We only have moose and beaver meat in my region.

It's just not enough.

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:59 pm

Some beaver is full of D.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:00 pm

Wait, we're still talking about fetishes right?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:16 pm

But you guys have all that salmon.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:16 am

Can Brain Supplements Really Help You Think and Perform Better? A Neuroscientist Weighs In

Physician and neuroscientist Dr. Tara Swart gives a reality check on the supplements that are worth taking--and the ones that aren't worth the hype

https://www.inc.com/graham-winfrey/supp ... id=sf01001
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:09 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:16 am
Can Brain Supplements Really Help You Think and Perform Better? A Neuroscientist Weighs In

Physician and neuroscientist Dr. Tara Swart gives a reality check on the supplements that are worth taking--and the ones that aren't worth the hype

https://www.inc.com/graham-winfrey/supp ... id=sf01001
Everything on that list, except possibly coconut oil and MCT (as an accidental side effect) are pretty much bullshit. And if you take enough of those to make a difference you won't be venturing far from a restroom. Here's what does work: Get your blood ketones up to around 3 or 4 mmol/liter. Or you could just be naturally crazy smart like most of the [not me] posters on this forum.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:17 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:58 pm
I thought there was more data in favor of the fish oil (omega-3) than on coconut oil, which is sketchy at best.
I don't have anything that can back me up. But, I don't believe that there is much (if any) direct nootropic benefit from either one if ingested in realistic quantities. At least that is my opinion after personally experimenting with both. The coconut oil has a large MCT component which converts to ketones pretty rapidly, so there could be some effect there, but as I mentioned that is a rough way to up your ketones. Not recommended in quantity. Likewise you can't take Omega 3's in any significant quantity (as a percentage of your daily calories). That much PUFA would do way more damage than good.

From a practical standpoint, any nootropic benefit from a dietary supplement would be measured at the noise level if you haven't already reduced carbohydrates and alcohol to a very small fraction of your energy intake. Most people report significant reduction in brain fog and increased focus after a few months of making that step. It would be like a smoker asking about workouts and nutrition to get in shape. Yes, there are some great things you can do, but first quit smoking. Unfortunately, that kind of dietary change can be extremely difficult and/or undesirable for a large part of the population.