Moderator: Global Moderator

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Maddy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:52 am

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:31 am
[W]hat happens to the fat skimmed off milk?
WiseOne, now that you've tackled indoor farming, you really have to try making your own dairy products. I get my milk straight from the cow, but even store-bought raw or unhomogenized milk will work. It's so quick and easy, and from one gallon of whole milk you get a whole array of milk products for the week.

I generally buy milk by the gallon, and I immediately use about half of it for yogurt. Simply scald on the stove, cool to "baby bottle" temperature, pour into a quart mason jar, whisk in a dollop of culture (any fresh, live yogurt), and tuck away in a warm place for 8-12 hours. (I use a shelf on the wood cookstove in the winter, but I have successfully used a crock pot sans lid, and the top of a water heater.) That's Product No. 1.

I let the remaining half-gallon of milk sit in the refir for a half a day so that the cream separates to the top. I then ladle off the cream--two thirds into a quart mason jar (for butter) and a third into a pint mason jar (for sour cream). I commence vigorously shaking the larger, cream-filled mason jar for 5-10 minutes, past the "whipped cream" stage, and past the point where a discernible ball of butter has become noticeable. When there is a big, well-formed lump of butter sloshing around in a watery medium, I decant off the buttermilk (Product No. 2)--to later be used in whatever baking project I've got going. I take the lump of butter, knead salt into it, and form it into bars (Product No. 3).

I then take the pint jar of cream and set it in a warm place overnight. The shelf on a wood stove works great, but really any warm place will work. In the morning, you have a very nice batch of sour cream (Product No. 4).

All that takes only about 20 minutes. It's kind of a kick to get so many different things from one gallon of milk.
Homemade sausage turns out to be super simple, yummy, and about 1/3 the price of pre-made stuff (that doesn't taste like cardboard).
Please tell us how!
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Wow, Maddy, that is awesome. You are a super hero! I felt like I was reading a chapter from Little House on the Prairie, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I was buying raw milk for a while, and seriously, it is outstanding, not just taste wise, but in how it made me feel. And this is from a guy who is somewhat lactose intolerant in regard to pasteurized milk. Right now, I'm trying dairy free to see if that helps me feel better and lose a few pounds, but if I do go back to dairy, I need to remember to make the effort to get the raw milk. Fortunately, we do have a local dairy that sells raw milk, despite the state regulators constantly giving them grief. The stuff isn't cheap. It's like two or three times the price of pasteurized milk, but totally worth it. If I do go back, maybe I'll be inspired by your post to make all those great products that you listed.

Yes, WiseOne, please tell us how to make the sausage.

Raw milk and sausage, now those are the types of "supplements" that I can support.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:39 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:31 pm
WiseOne,

RE: oils & fats.......What is considered bad/good? And is the answer based on published research in, say, NEJM or similar? EV Olive oil is considered good by virtually all sources. But what about:

Butter?
Lard?
Coconut oil?
Palm Oil?
Canola Oil?
Corn Oil?
Soybean ('vegetable') oil?
Butter, Lard, coconut, palm: good.

Rest bad.

But, can I elaborate on that greatly? No. Something about un-natural processing to make canola/corn/soybean oil and high Omega 6 concentrations in them.

------A link to why canola is not good:

https://heartmdinstitute.com/diet-nutri ... anola-oil/
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:44 am

Maddy that is an awesome system!! Your post is pasted into my recipe book.

Sausage is dead simple!!!! You can make it with ground pork from the grocery, but then it comes out hard (but still delicious). To do it properly you need a meat grinder. I got a KitchenAid mixer attachment. Get pork shoulder or butt, which is usually a cheap cut, and some type of pork fat. Back fat is supposed to be best, but I haven't put in the legwork needed to find it. Lard does fine plus I use saved bacon fat. You want sausage to be somewhere between 10-20% fat by weight. Put the meat & fat through the grinder (helps if both are slightly frozen), then add salt and spice mix, mix well (use your hands, or I let my KitchenAid do the work). I don't bother stuffing into casings, I just roll into balls. I freeze these in a pan until hard, then store in a freezer bag. I might try the casings one day and see if that's worth the trouble, but I'm quite happy cooking sausage in patty or meatball form.

Check out this website for spice mixes: http://www.sausagemania.com/recipes.html. Warning, to my taste they use too much salt. My favorite mix, per pound of sausage mix, is: 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, 1 crushed or minced garlic clove, 1/2 tsp sage, and 1/8 tsp nutmeg.

Re health impact of fats - I agree with Cortopassi. The question isn't whether there's data to say a particular fat is good, it's that there's no strong data to support the stance that a particular type of fat is bad. The studies are mainly observational/correlative, which is worthless. Consider the history of hormone replacement therapy for primary prevention of heart disease: first there were reams of correlative studies that "proved" that HRT reduced heart disease risk by as much as 50%, which would blow statins and just about any other modifiable risk factor out of the water. So lots of women were put on HRT for this reason alone. Then WHI came along with a prospective, double-blind, randomized controlled trial. This study was stopped early when it became clear that HRT actually INCREASED heart disease risk. And so it goes for pretty much any intervention aimed at primary prevention. Apart from controlling type 2 diabetes, NOTHING, including aspirin or cholesterol lowering agents, has managed to show an overall positive benefit when rigorously tested. Different story for secondary prevention, but even there the benefit is minimal (something like 1% chance that an individual will benefit from a treatment).
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:53 am

WiseOne-- Perfect! I've been wanting to try both sausage and jerky for some time now. This is great!

Re making butter: I forgot to mention that it's important to let the milk come to room temperature before shaking the jar. If you don't you may end up never getting past the whipped cream stage--which ain't all that bad, I suppose. If you take care to do that one thing, making butter is pretty much foolproof.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:17 am

Just another bit of evidence of the dietary changes that started happening in the early 70s, I just watched Woodstock on American Experience (highly recommend it). Half a million people there, and tons of archival footage of the crowds, workers, bands, cops, etc.

Again, just like my Apollo observation, none were fat. It was even more shocking because there were SO many people, you'd expect to see some overweight. And this is where a LOT of the guys (and some of the girls) were topless walking around. Rail thin.

I always romanticize the late 60s in my head, but when they put it all in perspective, Vietnam, worry about the draft, MLK, Kennedy, it must have been a stressful time to be a late teenager/early 20s in 1969.

I though this was great. There was one kid who put down all these things as to what was wrong with him on his draft physical!

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Maddy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:52 am
I generally buy milk by the gallon, and I immediately use about half of it for yogurt. Simply scald on the stove, cool to "baby bottle" temperature, pour into a quart mason jar, whisk in a dollop of culture (any fresh, live yogurt), and tuck away in a warm place for 8-12 hours. (I use a shelf on the wood cookstove in the winter, but I have successfully used a crock pot sans lid, and the top of a water heater.) That's Product No. 1.
I used to make clabbered milk. No culture, but no boiling. Just milk and no space for air in a small container, stored on the shelf at room temp. Wait a few weeks. Not bad. I used raw milk from the farmer’s market, sold furtively in a brown bag. They don’t sell it here anyore.
Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:24 am
Something I noticed, since I've always been a space buff and I've been reading and looking at a lot of archive videos and books and magazines from Apollo.

Look at the crowds watching the Apollo launches. Look at the workers. Look at the mission control people.

Find me an overweight/obese one. Bet you can't.

I told my wife about this because we’ve been watching all the Apollo stuff on public TV, as well as the amazing film that came out earlier this year. (The one with the cool Matt Morton soundtrack using only instruments and synthesizers that were available in the sixties) .
Funny thing is, when I told her your comment, she said I’d said pretty much the same thing when we were watching. :) I have no memory of that.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:23 pm

Funny!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Evidently those nerds had higher testosterone than the average man today as well.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:15 pm

Do you guys know any good resources for cutting programs in preparation for things like photoshoots?

I've been basically doing all bulking since I started doing bodybuilding, and need to lose that last layer of fat and subcutaneous water to get photo-ready vascularity and all that. However, I've never done it before and am totally lost on the proper cutting process. So many conflicting things found on Google...
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:22 pm

You've been bulking for a long time and you still only have a 'last' layer of BF?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:51 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:22 pm
You've been bulking for a long time and you still only have a 'last' layer of BF?
Yup!

'Cause even while bulking my calorie intake was still a pittance compared to when I was just a lazy couch potato.

I mean, I'm still a couch potato, but now just in an investing sense.
Canadian-Couch-Potato-Social-Image.jpg
Canadian-Couch-Potato-Social-Image.jpg (280.66 KiB) Viewed 32980 times
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:00 pm

How much time do you have before the photo shoot?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:00 pm
How much time do you have before the photo shoot?
So it's actually on my own schedule, and will basically be whenever I'm ready. These extra photos will be added to my current portfolio of photos that include things like headshots for acting.

So, fairly flexible with time, but still I'd like to "peak" no later than possible. Like... before this year is through would be nice. :D
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:47 pm

So what advice do you need, you've just never had to cut before? Here's a quick Barney-style breakdown:

The keys are keeping your protein high, to maintain muscle mass, and burning off more calories than you take in. You need more protein to maintain lean body mass in a calorie deficit than you did to gain muscle mass when you were bulking. Also, the leaner you are, the more protein you need, whereas if you start out super obese you can get by with less protein. Cutting is pretty simple, but not easy. You just need to experiment a bit to find the easiest way for you.

People cut successfully on pretty much every kind of diet you can think of*. PSMF works. CKD works. Low fat works. You just have to figure out what you can tolerate. What I mean is.. some people like the foods they can eat on a keto diet, and they make them feel satiated, and they can still do ok in the gym. Other people say they feel like they're really weak and nauseated on keto. Likewise, some people feel great eating chicken/rice/broccoli and can keep that up for a while.

Same deal applies to how much to eat. Some people naturally will under-eat and lose weight after they consciously went on a bulk (these people usually lose muscle because they don't pay attention to their protein). Some people can eat "all the keto foods they want" and lose weight (because they're so satiated they stop eating). You can go anywhere from PSMF levels, where you're basically eating protein and EFAs and nothing else, which rips the fat off your body incredibly quickly while you feel like you're dying.. to figuring out what your current maintenance calories are (where you don't gain or lose weight) and subtracting a bit from it, which slowly drops your bodyfat over a longer period of time. And anywhere in between. Pick based on your tolerance and goals.

* To clarify, I meant every type of diet a bodybuilder would think of. I don't think I need to say that the juice detox diets regularly pushed by women's magazines are retarded.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm

There seems to be a higher proportion of bodybuilders here than in the general population. Is there something about bodybuilding and the PP that makes them go hand-in-hand? I'm thinking of a former member and prolific poster who was also a bodybuilder.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm
There seems to be a higher proportion of bodybuilders here than in the general population. Is there something about bodybuilding and the PP that makes them go hand-in-hand? I'm thinking of a former member and prolific poster who was also a bodybuilder.
:D
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:56 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:47 pm
So what advice do you need, you've just never had to cut before? Here's a quick Barney-style breakdown:

The keys are keeping your protein high, to maintain muscle mass, and burning off more calories than you take in. You need more protein to maintain lean body mass in a calorie deficit than you did to gain muscle mass when you were bulking. Also, the leaner you are, the more protein you need, whereas if you start out super obese you can get by with less protein. Cutting is pretty simple, but not easy. You just need to experiment a bit to find the easiest way for you.

People cut successfully on pretty much every kind of diet you can think of*. PSMF works. CKD works. Low fat works. You just have to figure out what you can tolerate. What I mean is.. some people like the foods they can eat on a keto diet, and they make them feel satiated, and they can still do ok in the gym. Other people say they feel like they're really weak and nauseated on keto. Likewise, some people feel great eating chicken/rice/broccoli and can keep that up for a while.

Same deal applies to how much to eat. Some people naturally will under-eat and lose weight after they consciously went on a bulk (these people usually lose muscle because they don't pay attention to their protein). Some people can eat "all the keto foods they want" and lose weight (because they're so satiated they stop eating). You can go anywhere from PSMF levels, where you're basically eating protein and EFAs and nothing else, which rips the fat off your body incredibly quickly while you feel like you're dying.. to figuring out what your current maintenance calories are (where you don't gain or lose weight) and subtracting a bit from it, which slowly drops your bodyfat over a longer period of time. And anywhere in between. Pick based on your tolerance and goals.

* To clarify, I meant every type of diet a bodybuilder would think of. I don't think I need to say that the juice detox diets regularly pushed by women's magazines are retarded.
Yes, I basically started out just trying to gain muscle and keeping the body fat level reasonable, but never specifically have I done a cut.

I started bodybuilding about 2 years ago, so I'm not super huge or anything, but have put on enough muscle mass that I get 1 or 2 comments a week about being "in shape".

In a nutshell, I have mass, just not much definition.

My impression is that my body has always easily put on mass (the good and the bad kind), but it's very challenging for me to lose weight. So, I know this will be difficult either way.

Thank you for these tips, I'll do further research and experimentation.
Xan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm
Maybe we're the same person and this account was just a long con. >:D
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:13 pm

This trainer, Ngo Okafor, seems to have an approach with a high degree of efficacy.

Essentially taking normal looking people and getting them photo/video ready in the same sort of "bootcamp" style that a celebrity would engage in for a film. It looks like he centres around circuit work and low carb intake diet plans.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/kzx3 ... nude-scene
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 pm

you might check out drew baye i have been following his strength training body weight program for a while now, and his videos and books seem exceptionally solid from a biology/physiology/science based standpoint, he is also a body builder and does cutting for competition, so if his cutting programs are on par with his other advice i bet they are good.
I am not a body builder so i haven't read his body building advice, my focus so far is strength/health/injury free.. but i have had some muscle gain and a good amount of fat loss from diet (keto-ish)... :D

BTW drew baye is planing on competing as a body builder again in 2020 using a body weight only program (just to prove some point) it is cool and a bit surprising to think that is possible...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:31 am

l82start wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 pm
you might check out drew baye i have been following his strength training body weight program for a while now, and his videos and books seem exceptionally solid from a biology/physiology/science based standpoint, he is also a body builder and does cutting for competition, so if his cutting programs are on par with his other advice i bet they are good.
I am not a body builder so i haven't read his body building advice, my focus so far is strength/health/injury free.. but i have had some muscle gain and a good amount of fat loss from diet (keto-ish)... :D

BTW drew baye is planing on competing as a body builder again in 2020 using a body weight only program (just to prove some point) it is cool and a bit surprising to think that is possible...
Drew Baye... never heard of the fellow, but looks like a good source for training info!

Thank you. Will research his ideas and programs further.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:07 pm

I'm pulling out the nuclear option, guys.

I'm calling a professional nutritionist today...
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:15 pm

Why?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:45 pm

One of my friends has a sister who is a nutritionist and is striking it our on her own for the first time with a private practice.

Given that she's new at this and is a friend, i'm getting the "friends and family discount". It comes out to being next to nothing, so I figure why not. Will report back on what she says!
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:13 am

Just another indicator of what started happening in the 70s and getting fatter. No other oil other than soybean comes close to having such an increase.

If I see soybean oil in a product, I put it back on the shelf. For example, we've made our own salad dressing with olive oil for years.