The AK-47 version of everything...

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The AK-47 version of everything...

Post by Pointedstick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:29 pm

moda0306 wrote: Evaporative coolers confuse me. 

I thought that when water evaporated, the temperature of the water cooled and the temp of the air rose.  I also understand that humidity makes air "feel" warmer.
Air has to give up its heat to evaporate the water. The water heats up and becomes a vapor, and the air gives up its heat and gets colder. They exchange heat, basically.

I don't fully comprehend the physics of it myself, but I understand that it has something to do with the "enthalpy of vaporization" and that water has a low enough point that hot air can vaporize it.

As for humidity, yes, it makes you feel hotter but the effect is only pronounced at high levels. Most of the time, the interior humidity in my house is under 20%, so low that my hygrometer can't take accurate measurements below that point. After the evaporative cooler has been running all day, the interior relative humidity is about 45%. It's very pleasant, Probably because the surrounding air is so cold. Extremely high humidity plus hot air is unbearable, but moderate humidity plus cold air is actually pretty nice. It's unusual, though, because most people are used to air conditioning, which removes moisture as it cools.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Mountaineer wrote: Pointedstick,

Did you ever purchase that Russian 308?  Results, comments, updates?

... Mountaineer
You know, I never did. That part of the budget is going toward a new roof and new windows. And, I suppose, toward the new evaporative cooler! I'm kind of living in a construction zone right now.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
moda0306 wrote: Evaporative coolers confuse me. 

I thought that when water evaporated, the temperature of the water cooled and the temp of the air rose.  I also understand that humidity makes air "feel" warmer.
Air has to give up its heat to evaporate the water. The water heats up and becomes a vapor, and the air gives up its heat and gets colder. They exchange heat, basically.

I don't fully comprehend the physics of it myself, but I understand that it has something to do with the "enthalpy of vaporization" and that water has a low enough point that hot air can vaporize it.

As for humidity, yes, it makes you feel hotter but the effect is only pronounced at high levels. Most of the time, the interior humidity in my house is under 20%, so low that my hygrometer can't take accurate measurements below that point. After the evaporative cooler has been running all day, the interior relative humidity is about 45%. It's very pleasant, Probably because the surrounding air is so cold. Extremely high humidity plus hot air is unbearable, but moderate humidity plus cold air is actually pretty nice. It's unusual, though, because most people are used to air conditioning, which removes moisture as it cools.
Evaporative cooling only is effective in low humidity locations (but I am not sure of the cutoff value).  That is why you do not see it used in much of the northeast, southeast and Texas Gulf coast areas for example.  Air conditioning is wonderful in those areas because it helps to remove the humidity as well as cool the air.  If you sweat a lot when you go outside when it is very hot (e.g. Houston), it is likely that evaporative cooling will not be very effective in your area (very rough guide).  If you don't sweat (e.g. Yuma) it will probably work well.

... Mountaineer

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Mountaineer wrote: If you sweat a lot when you go outside when it is very hot (e.g. Houston), it is likely that evaporative cooling will not be very effective in your area (very rough guide).  If you don't sweat (e.g. Yuma) it will probably work well.

... Mountaineer

Yuma is actually pretty humid compared to where I live. The average afternoon relative humidity there is like 45% year-round. It bobbles between 10 and 25% here. :P
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:49 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: If you sweat a lot when you go outside when it is very hot (e.g. Houston), it is likely that evaporative cooling will not be very effective in your area (very rough guide).  If you don't sweat (e.g. Yuma) it will probably work well.

... Mountaineer

Yuma is actually pretty humid compared to where I live. The average afternoon relative humidity there is like 45% year-round. It bobbles between 10 and 25% here. :P
Wow, I can almost hear the moisture being sucked from your body, and I'm a couple of thousand miles away.  Maybe that is the cause of contrails.  ;)  We can call it the hypothesis of global contrails - or just anthropogenic contrails if you like.  ;)  But we must be careful, I do not wish your evaporative cooling emissions (deadly H2O) to become too visible (physically and in the public eye).

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Just to make you even more jealous… it's a super awesome swamp cooler, not at all like those rusty boxy rattletraps on the roof. When I bought this house, it had one of those, but it was so neglected that it was all rusted out and didn't work The duct connecting it to the rest of the ductwork (in the unconditioned attic, naturally) was made out of ductboard and had mold growing on it. :o So I bought a Bonaire Durango, which is made in Australia, and they REALLY know evaporative cooling there. It has an automatic bleed system so it's not recirculating mineral-laden water forever. And it has a direct-drive fan on a 1/3 HP motor instead of a squirrel cage hooked to a motor with a belt. As a result, it uses only about 200 watts on the low setting, which is plenty sufficient to drop the interior temperature 15-20 degrees. It's astonishingly effective and cheap. I just love it to death.

Even if you don't live in a desert climate, it's often possible to get the benefits of evaporative cooling with a two-stage model, which can often be 125% efficient or more--cooling the air to below the wet-bulb temperature. My one-stage is only 90% efficient and that's all I really need here, but there are probably places west of the Mississippi that could use two-stage units.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:24 pm

Of course Pacific Northwest living requires neither swamp cooler nor air conditioner :)

We had a swamp cooler when we lived in New Mexico.  Really did a good job, but there was always a slow drip right below the vent...
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Pointedstick wrote: Just to make you even more jealous… it's a super awesome swamp cooler, not at all like those rusty boxy rattletraps on the roof. When I bought this house, it had one of those, but it was so neglected that it was all rusted out and didn't work The duct connecting it to the rest of the ductwork (in the unconditioned attic, naturally) was made out of ductboard and had mold growing on it. :o So I bought a Bonaire Durango, which is made in Australia, and they REALLY know evaporative cooling there. It has an automatic bleed system so it's not recirculating mineral-laden water forever. And it has a direct-drive fan on a 1/3 HP motor instead of a squirrel cage hooked to a motor with a belt. As a result, it uses only about 200 watts on the low setting, which is plenty sufficient to drop the interior temperature 15-20 degrees. It's astonishingly effective and cheap. I just love it to death.

Even if you don't live in a desert climate, it's often possible to get the benefits of evaporative cooling with a two-stage model, which can often be 125% efficient or more--cooling the air to below the wet-bulb temperature. My one-stage is only 90% efficient and that's all I really need here, but there are probably places west of the Mississippi that could use two-stage units.
Dude... if you drank.. I'd bring a 6'er the next time I'm in New Mexico and I'd check out your swamp cooler.  The entire concept has dumbfounded me in humid MN...

Perhaps I'll bring some ice cold lemonade.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:06 pm

moda0306 wrote: Dude... if you drank.. I'd bring a 6'er the next time I'm in New Mexico and I'd check out your swamp cooler.  The entire concept has dumbfounded me in humid MN...

Perhaps I'll bring some ice cold lemonade.
I feel like ammo is a suitable substitute for beer. They're both consumable and fun! ;D
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Desert wrote: <picks up 30-pack of Natty Light, heads to Moda's house in MN, then turns South to PS's place to honor the swamp cooler>
Uh oh.

We are all over the place.  We should all meet in Chicago or somewhere central for a PP forum party... or brawl... whatever ensues...
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:19 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Desert wrote: <picks up 30-pack of Natty Light, heads to Moda's house in MN, then turns South to PS's place to honor the swamp cooler>
Uh oh.

We are all over the place.  We should all meet in Chicago or somewhere central for a PP forum party... or brawl... whatever ensues...
we should book a cruse liner.. a crowd of pp enthusiasts an a big boat... what could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by l82start on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:22 pm

l82start wrote: we should book a cruse liner.. a crowed of pp enthusiasts an a big boat... what could possibly go wrong?
Probably a tragic boating accident! ::)
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
TripleB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TripleB » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:53 am

Pointedstick wrote:
l82start wrote: we should book a cruse liner.. a crowed of pp enthusiasts an a big boat... what could possibly go wrong?
Probably a tragic boating accident! ::)
I know many former firearms owners that experienced tragic boating accidents over the years.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:32 am

Was that picture from the Poseidon Adventure?  Next will be the Towering Inferno!

... Mountaineer
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:08 am

Mountaineer wrote: Was that picture from the Poseidon Adventure?  Next will be the Towering Inferno!

... Mountaineer
yes... the Poseidon adventure...  ;D
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:45 pm

Craig should definitely lead the panel on the myriad economic and cultural benefits of immigrants!
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:15 pm

I would also be willing to do the benediction - probably should allow at least 2 hours of prayer for all of us misguided miscreants, including the final kegger to further Pointedstick's education in the finer aspects of hops and malt.  ;)

... Mountaineer
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:17 pm

Omg do I have to? I think I stopped doing that in 9th grade.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:37 pm

Y'all forgot me and the downfall of sovereign fiat currency due to excessive money-printing and stimulus!!

- Thomas Paine
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm in on the PP union (not reunion, because we haven't united before).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:01 pm

Another Topic worth resurrecting with, hopefully, updates from those here...

Reading through these caused me to just now buy on Amazon the following:

Thermos
Air Compressor
Tire Guage

I'm trying to think of an item to contribute to this Topic but nothing is jumping out at me right now. Something I rely upon every day or use a lot.

Maybe these?

https://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Mens ... _item?th=1

In the fall of 2009 I was starting to have knee pain in both my knees. Shortly afterwards I came across a book on the knees and read it in its entirety that night. One of its recommendations was to buy the best running shoes possible just for walking. I forget how I determined which were the best but the above were what I bought for $100 in November 2009. That was a lot of money for me to spend on any form of shoes but I decided my body was worth it. I practiced several of the other things recommended in the book and the knee pain completely went away, never to come back.

And, I am STILL wearing that SAME pair of shoes even today. The only wear they are showing is that there is a slight tear on the sole of one of them. But that is somewhat deceiving as from May to August I'm either barefoot or in sandals. I don't wear them in inclement weather. And, all other times I'm a nothing on my feet person as much as possible. In other words, they have relatively low mileage on them in spite of the 10+ years I've owned them / been wearing them. And, in this era (or any era?) of constantly changing styles that 10+ years later I was shocked to see that I / you can buy a pair new that looks EXACTLY the same as what I had bought. However, now they sell for $175 rather than the $100 I paid for them!

For any of you who presently have knee pain, here is the highly recommended book...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1590771249/?c ... _lig_dp_it

And, in the book was this scale...

https://completept.com/stop-hurting-your-knees/

The Huey-Klapper Knee-Point Scale

That scale was an eye opener for me. I answered some questions and it told me how many "knee points" I could expend in a week before asking for knee problems. After answered those questions it told me that in just two nights of basketball a week I was using ALL my allowed knee points for the week, meaning all else was excess. So, I started sitting out a higher proportion of game time.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:09 am

Pointedstick wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:00 am
Benko wrote: Spending a little more often pays off in the long run.

I have a decade old HP lasterprinter which still works just fine.  I remember buying a "personal" laser printer which only lasted a year or two (also HP) and then at the suggetion of someone I know, replacing it with one of HPs more industrial strength models which has worked fine since then.  I gather HP is not what is once was however, but the principle of buying the more industrial strength model often still applies.
Same here. I have an old HP LaserJet 1200 that five years ago, I got for free because it was broken, but it was so mechanically simple that I could easily fix it. It's probably printed tens of thousands of pages on only three toner cartridges during that timeframe. I am in awe of its reliability and dependability. Forget  the wireless printers, the inkjets, and the all-in-ones that cost less than $600; they're all flaky, unreliable consumer goods designed to break after a year or two.

8-year update: I had to replace my beloved printer last year. It literally fell off a truck during my last move and after that it was never quite the same. It still printed, but the quality wasn't as good and I was unable to fix it. It has been replaced with a 10 year-old HP Laserjet Pro P1606dn, which has been similarly bulletproof so far.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:09 am
Pointedstick wrote:

I have a decade old HP lasterprinter which still works just fine.  I remember buying a "personal" laser printer which only lasted a year or two (also HP) and then at the suggetion of someone I know, replacing it with one of HPs more industrial strength models which has worked fine since then.  I gather HP is not what is once was however, but the principle of buying the more industrial strength model often still applies.
Same here. I have an old HP LaserJet 1200 that five years ago, I got for free because it was broken, but it was so mechanically simple that I could easily fix it. It's probably printed tens of thousands of pages on only three toner cartridges during that timeframe. I am in awe of its reliability and dependability. Forget  the wireless printers, the inkjets, and the all-in-ones that cost less than $600; they're all flaky, unreliable consumer goods designed to break after a year or two.

8-year update: I had to replace my beloved printer last year. It literally fell off a truck during my last move and after that it was never quite the same. It still printed, but the quality wasn't as good and I was unable to fix it. It has been replaced with a 10 year-old HP Laserjet Pro P1606dn, which has been similarly bulletproof so far.
When I started my current job in October 2008 I was given an HP LaserJet printer of indeterminate age. I am STILL using that printer and it's never really had a problem. SOME day it will stop working? The drums are not so cheap, though.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:12 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:19 pm
Pointedstick wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:09 am
Pointedstick wrote:

When I started my current job in October 2008 I was given an HP LaserJet printer of indeterminate age. I am STILL using that printer and it's never really had a problem. SOME day it will stop working? The drums are not so cheap, though.

Vinny
I've had a perfectly good Brother monochrome laser printer for 5 years or so, but I couldn't resist an HP color laser printer for under $300, so I bought it and donated the old printer to the local charity.