The AK-47 version of everything...

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Hobbery

The AK-47 version of everything...

Post by Hobbery »

Like a Toyota Tacoma, or a Glock, or a good pair of canvas work pants....  It's not flashy.  It's value and long term durability supersedes it's cost.  It's simple and you can count on it.  It's the AK-47 version of EVERYTHING.

I'll start---  It's the Oster 76 hair clippers.  They're powerful, barber-grade hair clippers that feel like you could saw a tree in half with them.  I've read accounts of barbers using the same clippers for decades. 

These things are so powerful that you'll be sure you're going to lob an ear off or chop your head in half, but I've never even nicked myself.  It's practically a fear you have to get over at first...

Plus, if you shave your head bald (I do) but you don't want to use a razor, you can get a blade that cuts to a millimeter (#000000) which is as close to razored as you can get.   

They seem to be the AK-47 version of hair clippers. 

OK... your turn.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The AK-47 version of everything...

Post by dualstow »

I might have to buy that thing (with attachments, as I don't shave my head; I trim).
EDIT: On second thought, they don't seem to sell blades that leave hair longer than 1/2" (12 mm)
---
Rex Oxx bags, like the Sky Train, are the AK-47 of travel bags, in my opinion.
Rugged, well-made, thoughtful design, made in USA (Montana).
Last edited by dualstow on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
🍍
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

The Acme Juicerator:

Chipper/shredder power on your kitchen countertop.

I bought mine used in 1995 when it was probably about 15 years old.  Since then, I have grown older, but it has stayed the same age.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

Spending a little more often pays off in the long run.

I have a decade old HP lasterprinter which still works just fine.  I remember buying a "personal" laser printer which only lasted a year or two (also HP) and then at the suggetion of someone I know, replacing it with one of HPs more industrial strength models which has worked fine since then.  I gather HP is not what is once was however, but the principle of buying the more industrial strength model often still applies.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Benko wrote: Spending a little more often pays off in the long run.

I have a decade old HP lasterprinter which still works just fine.  I remember buying a "personal" laser printer which only lasted a year or two (also HP) and then at the suggetion of someone I know, replacing it with one of HPs more industrial strength models which has worked fine since then.  I gather HP is not what is once was however, but the principle of buying the more industrial strength model often still applies.
Same here. I have an old HP LaserJet 1200 that five years ago, I got for free because it was broken, but it was so mechanically simple that I could easily fix it. It's probably printed tens of thousands of pages on only three toner cartridges during that timeframe. I am in awe of its reliability and dependability. Forget  the wireless printers, the inkjets, and the all-in-ones that cost less than $600; they're all flaky, unreliable consumer goods designed to break after a year or two.
Last edited by Pointedstick on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

the antique coffee grinder, made in a variety of shapes and sizes manufactured in the late 1800's early 1900's and many work as well today as the day they were cast, not only highly functional but a thing of beauty as well, i have a wall mounted enterprise 350.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

Cast iron cookware.  Lasts generations.  Virtually indestructible.  A great source of dietary iron. 

Perhaps the AK-47 is the cast iron skillet of automatic weapons :)
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
melveyr
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by melveyr »

WildAboutHarry wrote: Cast iron cookware.  Lasts generations.  Virtually indestructible.  A great source of dietary iron. 

Perhaps the AK-47 is the cast iron skillet of automatic weapons :)
Except with the AK you put metal into other people's diets!

I have been really happy with my Edwin Jagger safety razor. Once you buy a DE safety razor it will last for a century and you only have to change the blades which are dirt cheap. Combine that with a cheap boar's head brush and some shave soap and you save a ton of money over the long run.
everything comes from somewhere and everything goes somewhere
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

That razor looks great, too! I'm going to have to do some online shopping b/c of this thread.
And, I think I saw that old-time coffee grinder at Deutsche Optik. I bought a Belgian postal carrier's musee (leather bag) from there once. It was too purselike, so I gave it to my favorite sister-in-law.
🍍
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

dualstow wrote: I think I saw that old-time coffee grinder at Deutsche Optik.
  eBay has old grinders all the time some older, some more collectable than others, and some that are  more common but work and look great and can be picked up cheap, the 350 pictured is reasonably rare and a bit larger than most wall/counter mounted ones (it was made for a ships galley i believe)  an original catch cup is practically nonexistent (took me 3 or 4 years to find one by way of a friend who is a collector).

i need to get into the safety razor/straight razor thing i have been curious since seeing a boggle head thread a couple years ago but haven't done anything with the idea yet

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

l82start wrote:   i need to get into the safety razor/straight razor thing i have been curious since seeing a boggle head thread a couple years ago but haven't done anything with the idea yet
I recommend a DE safety razor. I use a straight razor myself, and it's been a challenge. I think the cost/benefit balance is a bit better with the safety razor since there's a shallower learning curve, and new blades are cheaper than the expense of having someone else hone it for you.

Still, stropping your razor in the morning makes you feel like badass. ;D
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Saladmaster cookware purchased used is great.

It's obscenely overpriced when new, but can be picked up on ebay pretty reasonably.

Since it lasts forever, a 4 year old pan isn't really a big deal.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

melveyr wrote:Except with the AK you put metal into other people's diets!
A good dose of lead poisoning :)  Reminds me of my favorite line from The Magnificant Seven - "We deal in lead, friend"
MediumTex wrote:Saladmaster cookware purchased used is great.
Never heard of it, but I've suddenly developed a fondness for titanium cookware. 

Thank you EBay and MediumTex.

What the heck is a "Vapo-Lid"?
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

+1 to iron cookware and double edged razors.

Also Royal all-metal vacuums, and Kuhn-Rikon pressure cookers.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

the sanitare commercial vacuum is another great AK47 vacuum, not only are they built tough to withstand heavy everyday industrial use  they are easy to work on and every part is replaceable..

WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

KevinW wrote:...double edged razors...
I use a Gillette Super Speed.  For us old guys you can actually get a razor made in your birth month and year since they date-coded the razors.  I don't have one for my birthday yet, but I keep looking...
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones »

Fagor Duo stainless 6 qt pressure cooker. Solid construction. Cook a stew, black beans, etc in fraction of the time.

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

Thermos Nissan is something I use several times per week.  Seems unbreakable and extremely effective at maintaining your beverage's temperature.  Nothing fancy, just gets the job done...very well.

The Amazon review for the 61 oz version has a total of 8 votes for 3 stars or lower, compared to 163 votes for 5 stars.
TripleB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TripleB »

A 5 gallon industrial bucket to serve as a garbage can in my kitchen. It's white so it blends into my kitchen, and it was free. I don't bother using a bag with it because I can dump the bucket directly into my dumpster outside. It gets filled with all matter of crap from salmonella raw chicken juices to egg shells. I let fill it with water one a week, put a little bleach in, let it sit for a couple of hours, wipe it out and it's like new again.

Also use it to wash my car.

Best part is, it was free. And it's 1000x more durable than crappy Chinese made mini garbage cans from Wal Mart.
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

RCBS Rock Chucker (preferably from the early 1970s).

And, +1 on the cast iron cookware.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I bought a Leatherman ..... Wave, I think , back in 2006 when I was at Airborne School, and have used that SHIT out of that thing ever since.  Like, use every tool on it, dropped it off the roof of an MRAP, down steps, etc etc, and that thing still works perfectly. 

I don't know if some other multi-tools are indestructible (Gerber's definitely are NOT... broke my issued one in a couple months), but the Leatherman rocks.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Kriegsspiel wrote: I bought a Leatherman ..... Wave, I think , back in 2006 when I was at Airborne School, and have used that SHIT out of that thing ever since.  Like, use every tool on it, dropped it off the roof of an MRAP, down steps, etc etc, and that thing still works perfectly. 

I don't know if some other multi-tools are indestructible (Gerber's definitely are NOT... broke my issued one in a couple months), but the Leatherman rocks.
I actually think the Charge is a bit more durable as leathermans (Leathermen?) go. I had a Wave from 2004-2007, whereupon it broke when a friend used the pliers for a very basic task and I could see how the metal had been stressed. I replaced it with a Charge and it's been an absolute brick since then.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

Hobbery wrote: Like a Toyota Tacoma, or a Glock, or a good pair of canvas work pants....  It's not flashy.  It's value and long term durability supersedes it's cost.  It's simple and you can count on it.  It's the AK-47 version of EVERYTHING.
I don't know if the OP had software in mind, but I think Emacs and BSD meet these criteria.

Also it's interesting to me that almost everything that's been mentioned has been made predominantly of metal.