The Ultimate Headlamp Setup

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

The Ultimate Headlamp Setup

Post by MediumTex » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:45 pm

I've always been a fan of headlamps, but I've always had trouble finding one I really liked.

My search may have ended recently, though.

I picked up a new 226 lumens LED mini Maglite on Amazon, put lithium AA batteries in it (which reduces the weight and they last longer than alkalines) and put it in a Nitecore flashlight headband.

The flashlight can be purchased from Amazon for about $22 here.

The headband can be purchased for $7.50 ($11.00 with shipping) here

So for around $30 you can have what looks like a small sun on the top of your head.  The amount of light this setup generates is amazing relative to the size and weight of the whole setup.  After wearing this new setup for a bit I put my old headlamp on and I swear it looked like I had a candle on my head compared to the new light.

The light can be removed from the strap and used as a regular flashlight and the strap can be used with other small flashlights as well, so overall it's a very versatile setup as well.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Ultimate Headlamp Setup

Post by WildAboutHarry » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:25 am

Thanks MediumTex.  Not having a headlamp was  a problem I didn't know I had until I read your post :)
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:46 am

I know you're into the permanent portfolio, but don't tell me you're doing your own mining.
:-)
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:39 am

I love that flashlight holder! Don't think I'd buy the Maglite, though; I'm a huge, huge, HUGE fan of Fenix flashlights. I've carried a P3D daily for 6 years and it's as good as the day I bought it. Totally fulfills the "small sun" criteria. Never breaks. Never dims. Been using the same two rechargeable batteries for those 6 years. The amortized yearly cost of ownership for the whole setup--light, batteries, and charger--has been about $8.

Edit: also, if anyone is going to buy that headlamp as I just did, I found a working coupon for 5% off: NITECOREMT5
Last edited by Pointedstick on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:08 am

Until you own a headlamp, you don't realize how useful they are.

Once you have one, though, you never want to go back.
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 am

I have an uneven crawlspace that I have to go into from time to time (rats, plumbing issues, etc.) and always carry a big flashlight.  That leaves only one hand to catch myself on the inevitable stumble (or head hitting the floor joists).

So, MediumTex, this headlamp thing is the real deal?

Using headlamps reminds me of the old Donkey Kong game, where the parrot (or fish, or whatever) carries a flashlight for you, and if you turn too quickly the screen goes dark and something bad usually happens.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:29 am

WildAboutHarry wrote: I have an uneven crawlspace that I have to go into from time to time (rats, plumbing issues, etc.) and always carry a big flashlight.  That leaves only one hand to catch myself on the inevitable stumble (or head hitting the floor joists).

So, MediumTex, this headlamp thing is the real deal?

Using headlamps reminds me of the old Donkey Kong game, where the parrot (or fish, or whatever) carries a flashlight for you, and if you turn too quickly the screen goes dark and something bad usually happens.
I have several headlamps that I use for different purposes (riding a bike at night, working in the dark, working under a car, working in low light conditions, etc.). 

This new setup, though, is very versatile, inexpensive and performs well.  If anything, the light is too bright for some applications.

What you find with many headlamps is that the light and battery makes the setup top heavy, the strap doesn't want to stay on your head or the light simply isn't bright enough.  All of those weaknesses are addressed in the setup I am describing, plus you have a nice flashlight to use away from the headstrap if you want to.

Make sure you use the AA lithium batteries, though.  The lighter weight compared to alkalines is a big part of what I like about the setup.
AgAuMoney
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AgAuMoney » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:20 pm

WildAboutHarry wrote: I have an uneven crawlspace that I have to go into from time to time (rats, plumbing issues, etc.) and always carry a big flashlight.  That leaves only one hand to catch myself on the inevitable stumble (or head hitting the floor joists).
Likewise.  But I don't like headlamps.  Specifically, I don't like the light moving with my head.  (I do like that new mini-mag. I just don't put it on my head. :)  I've experimented with mounting a light on my shoulder, that seems to be a better position to me.)

In my crawlspaces (both under and over the living quarters) I just put up lights.  It cost a few dollars, but not much compared to my perceived convenience.  There is enough fixed lighting to navigate, and a few "trouble lights" on cords that I can plug in nearby and move to get the illumination needed for the task at hand. (Which I used to put in the lighting, and just left some of them in there.)  It's all powered by an extension cord with an end on a hook just inside the hatch.  Open the hatch, pull out the cord, plug it in.  Let there be light.  When done, unplug the cord, coil it (or toss it in if that's your style), hang it on the hook, and close the hatch.
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:29 pm

+1 on the headlamps.

About a month ago my wife and I turned off the utilities for three days (Yes, it was voluntary!) to test our preps and see how we'd do without modern conveniences.  (Used the propane stove, solar oven, the kerosene lamps, LED lamps, etc...)

On a lark, I picked up a couple of cheapie headlamps the day before, at Walmart.  I think they were Ozark brand.

Holy cow!  Those headlamps were some of the best $8 I've ever spent. 
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:19 am

MediumTex wrote:What you find with many headlamps is that the light and battery makes the setup top heavy, the strap doesn't want to stay on your head or the light simply isn't bright enough.  All of those weaknesses are addressed in the setup I am describing, plus you have a nice flashlight to use away from the headstrap if you want to.
Sold.  Off to Amazon and Battery Junction.
AgAuMoney wrote:Likewise.  But I don't like headlamps.  Specifically, I don't like the light moving with my head. 
That is my concern, but I've never used one, so I will give it a try. 

But I also now have a crawlspace illumination project to add to the list.  I like the idea of combining fixed and corded lights.  While I do have some big spaces where a fixed light makes sense, I also have some tight spaces where a more portable light (headlamp or work light) would be needed.
Coffee wrote:About a month ago my wife and I turned off the utilities for three days
How did you keep your wine cellar at the proper temperature? :)
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 pm

Yup.  You was careful to keep the Two-Buck-Chuck from going bad.

[For those of you who don't live near a Trader Joe's:
http://pleasanthill.patch.com/articles/ ... k-fcdf12dc
]

The light from the headlamp is diffuse enough that you don't notice it.  It's just that anywhere you look, you can see.  I think there's probably an upper limit as to how bright a headlamp could be though.

Ours have an on/off button that also has three settings of light intensity.  Which is great if you're a guy trying not to pee on yourself.
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
TripleB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TripleB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Two words:

Surefire Minimus.

http://www.surefire.com/minimus.html
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:53 pm

TripleB wrote: Two words:

Surefire Minimus.

That's nice, but it's $150.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:20 pm

MediumTex wrote: That's nice, but it's $150.
I thought you were loaded like Gumby where cost doesn't matter.  Are you saying there's no value in it worth $150? ;D
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Surefire Minimus.
How about Zebralight, such as H51w? Half the price. On brief look, better reviewed.
http://www.zebralight.com/Headlamp_c_7.html
AgAuMoney
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AgAuMoney » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:42 pm

MediumTex wrote:

Surefire Minimus.

That's nice, but it's $150.
And uses a '123A'.  I really like AA and AAA batteries that I can get by the gross at costco or use the long-life NiMH also available almost anywhere and switch back and forth as fits the current usage pattern.  I use a few 'D' cells also (mostly big flashlights), and some 9v, but I got rid of my last Cr123 gadget some years ago and using that battery is almost reason enough for me to avoid acquiring a new gadget.
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:40 am

AgAuMoney wrote: And uses a '123A'.  I really like AA and AAA batteries that I can get by the gross at costco or use the long-life NiMH...
That may be why the Zebralight is so well liked. Well constructed, waterproof to 2m for 30 minutes, 2-200 lumens output, and runs on 1 AA battery, including NiMH. I just ordered one last night.
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:04 am

Coffee wrote:Yup.  You was careful to keep the Two-Buck-Chuck from going bad.
Alas, it is now $2.49 Chuck.  Doesn't quite roll off the tongue. :)
RuralEngineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by RuralEngineer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:35 pm

I saw headlamp and expected to see pictures of people wearing lights on their heads with colored filters so it doesn't spook the predators while you snipe them with a rifle.

You might be a redneck if...