Moderator: Global Moderator

pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Low-cost smart phone plans

Post by pugchief » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:09 am

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:17 pm
We use Mint for the kids lines. $15/month (if you prepay for the year) for unlimited talk/text and 3GB 4G data though I believe it is unlimited 3G/2G after the fast 3GB.
Please clarify: You and your wife don't have phones? Or Mint is good enough for the kids, but not reliable/quality/something else for you so you have Verizon/ATT?
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:31 am

pugchief wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:09 am
Please clarify: You and your wife don't have phones? Or Mint is good enough for the kids, but not reliable/quality/something else for you so you have Verizon/ATT?
Work pays for my phone and my wife uses more data plus she has been on an unlimited plan with her siblings since early in our marriage (Verizon I believe). Before work paid for my plan I was also on a Mint plan myself and it was great for me.

Hopefully that helps!
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:48 am

Thanks, IG.

So on Mint's website, the coverage map shows huge areas of no coverage, particularly west of the Mississippi. If you are on vacation in one of these areas, the phone just doesn't work? Or you roam? Or what?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:21 pm

Doesn't it use T-Mobile's network?
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Mint is a T-mobile MVNO. As far as coverage area west of MS, that is pretty common. The reality is that many of those areas are just not populated and have few towers where post-paid customers can roam for coverage.

I didn't have any coverage issues and we live in the west. We live in the Salt Lake City area and have traveled to many national parks and places of interest in the Western US. We seemed to mostly have coverage along any freeways until you get too far off the beating path. There are those cases where you just don't get service, but they are few and far between.