When the cops are the criminals

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: When the cops are the criminals

Post by Reub » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:09 pm

You're citing a handful of cases in a big, diverse, violent society. It's a much smaller issue than the blacks being killed by other blacks in large numbers all over the country. And yet no protests and no outrage. Verrry interesting!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:43 pm

Reub wrote:You're citing a handful of cases in a big, diverse, violent society. It's a much smaller issue than the blacks being killed by other blacks in large numbers all over the country. And yet no protests and no outrage. Verrry interesting!
It's more like a gushing river of pig corruption and incompetence -- we don't see or hear about everything because only the top one tenth of the top one percent even makes it to the lamestream media.

I can't imagine the jaw-dropping firestorm if that pig had actually shot the poor autistic guy. Fry, piggy, fry!!!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:46 pm

MachineGhost wrote:Fry, piggy, fry!!!
You're better than this MG.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:54 pm

New stats. Blacks more likely than whites to be stopped. Once stopped, not more likely to be shot.
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html
Kbg wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:Fry, piggy, fry!!!
You're better than this MG.
+1
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:07 pm

Kbg wrote:You're better than this MG.
Really? If he had actually shot and killed that autistic guy, would y'all be feeling the same way?

"Fry" was metaphorical. That sniper deserves to be punished but he won't; he will get off with a slap on the wrist just like they all do. There is no real accountability in that crony club.

I note from the article that dualstow posted that the police are the single greatest threat to your life REGARDLESS OF SKIN COLOR. That is why they are called pigs. I'm not apologizing for it until they quit acting like it. Don't be a pig apologist.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:37 pm

Chicago police pull over driver who didn’t use turn signal, allegedly find contraband. The motorist spends a year and a half in jail. Yikes! Dashcam footage shows he signaled. Charges dropped. Seventh Circuit: But he cannot sue the officers or the city. The statute of limitations started running the day after his arrest—not when the charges were dismissed.

Orange County, Calif. officials bill mother $16k for son’s stay in juvenile detention. She sells her house, but the proceeds do not cover the debt, and she declares bankruptcy. Ninth Circuit: She need not pay the (curiously inflated) remaining balance. Moreover, officials’ unrelenting pursuit of the debt and policy of imposing such debts undermine the credibility of government and the integrity of the legal process.

Prosecutors characterize San Francisco murder victim as a family man. In fact, the victim was a gang leader and murderer himself. Moreover, a gang investigator lied to the jury about how he came to know the victim. Ninth Circuit: The government’s conduct “falls short of what we expect,” but the jury’s verdict stands.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:22 am

MangoMan wrote:It drives me crazy that virtually no one in metro Chicago uses turn signals [Is that the case in other parts of the US?]. I know of no one who has EVER received a ticket for this. If the cops started enforcing, there would be no time for real crimes like teenagers smoking pot. ::)
And as hypocritical as it is, I am often guilty of not signalling as well. But I am really trying to be more consistent about complying.
Yes, it's just the general long-term downtrend of increasing American self-centeredness, lazyiness and incompetence. The problem is we as humans are very attuned and highly sensitive to social signals so if everyone starts more and more to act in a way that isn't conducive to the public good, you start feeling like why should you make an extra effort when no one else is bothering -- which eventually turns into resentment once the bad habit has become widely ingrained. Obviously, there are numerous drivers out there that are woefully ignorant, unware or simply don't give two shits about what I just said above about their dangerous behavior. In a free market, you are completely free to be a fucking idiot.

Self-driving cars is a free market fix to the above problem without relying on more patriachery and enforcement. Sometimes I wonder how far we can continue to go as we keep patching up problems and flaws of human misbehavior with more free market solutions. Is it infinite???

Like PS, I hate cars and dislike maschismo car culture, but its really the idiotic humans in those cars that I truly loathe. Humans are dangerous to one's own well-being and nothing but trouble!

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:49 am

MangoMan wrote:)And as hypocritical as it is, I am often guilty of not signalling as well.
I'm sorry, but I find that to be bizarre.

I had a short driving career. I stopped after I went to college and lived overseas for many years. When I came back to the States, I maintained a driver's license but never bought a car. But when I did drive, I always signaled.

What annoys me the most is drivers who signal as they're turning. That's more obnoxious than failing to signal altogether, in my opinion.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:21 am

dualstow wrote: What annoys me the most is drivers who signal as they're turning. That's more obnoxious than failing to signal altogether, in my opinion.
i was surprised to discover "the short signal" is now a built in feature on some newer cars, with a lever tap you get a signal that automatically turns off after a few blinks...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:43 am

l82start wrote:
dualstow wrote: What annoys me the most is drivers who signal as they're turning. That's more obnoxious than failing to signal altogether, in my opinion.
i was surprised to discover "the short signal" is now a built in feature on some newer cars, with a lever tap you get a signal that automatically turns off after a few blinks...
I'm not positive about this feature, but I think it is intended for lane changes on a straight road, not for right angle turns.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:06 pm

i thought thats what dualstow was objecting to, short signaling for lane changes...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:54 pm

l82start wrote:i thought thats what dualstow was objecting to, short signaling for lane changes...
Both lane changes and turns. As a pedestrian, I appreciate the turn signals although I don't usually trust my life with them. Lots of people signal and drive straight on through. Another problem.
MangoMan wrote:I always signalled when I first started driving. I think MG hit it on the head with:
MachineGhost wrote: why should you make an extra effort when no one else is bothering -- which eventually turns into resentment once the bad habit has become widely ingrained.
Ok, but did you stop throwing litter in a trash can because people around you litter?

To be fair, I haven't driven so long I probably don't have the right to judge. It just seems strange to me to fail to signal and simultaneously be annoyed when others fail to do it.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:16 pm

Smokers who think the street and sidewalk are their ashtray, man if I was a cop, every one would get a $500 ticket.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:54 pm

Cortopassi wrote:Smokers who think the street and sidewalk are their ashtray, man if I was a cop, every one would get a $500 ticket.
I knew this Native American guy who would always put his cigarettes out in a little metal tray and carry them home on foot for disposal. Some kind of herbal tobacco. But, he's the only one I've ever heard of who does that.

Remember when cars had ashtrays in the doors?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:08 am

dualstow wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:Remember when cars had ashtrays in the doors?
I do, but the sad thing is, even back then, instead of butts flicked out one by one randomly on a street, there were always little piles of ashes and butts left in parking lots all the time. Grrr...!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:34 pm

dualstow wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:Smokers who think the street and sidewalk are their ashtray, man if I was a cop, every one would get a $500 ticket.
I knew this Native American guy who would always put his cigarettes out in a little metal tray and carry them home on foot for disposal. Some kind of herbal tobacco. But, he's the only one I've ever heard of who does that.

Remember when cars had ashtrays in the doors?
I've gotta hand it to the Native Americans, they really do use every part of the cigarette.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:58 pm

Turmoil in Milwaukee! Blacks rioting, burning and hunting down innocent whites for beatings.

And what's it all about? Well it turns out that a black man was killed by a cop. More unwarranted violence against innocent blacks by an authoritarian white police force?

But hold on! The black man turned and pointed a gun at the cop before he was shot dead (on video). Oh, and the cop was a black man too. And so is the police chief.

It really doesn't matter though in Obama's America.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:25 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
dualstow wrote:I knew this Native American guy who would always put his cigarettes out in a little metal tray and carry them home on foot for disposal.
~
I've gotta hand it to the Native Americans, they really do use every part of the cigarette.
;D
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:34 pm

dualstow wrote:
Kriegsspiel wrote:
dualstow wrote:I knew this Native American guy who would always put his cigarettes out in a little metal tray and carry them home on foot for disposal.
~
;D
;D X 2
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:12 pm

Lincoln, Neb. police pull over double amputee, point guns at him. Unable to exit the vehicle as commanded, the motorist falls face-first onto the pavement, where he is handcuffed and remains while a (fruitless) search of his vehicle proceeds. Eighth Circuit: Police should have known that the bald, middle-aged driver was not their suspect, a young man with braids (and, presumably, legs). No qualified immunity.

Anaheim, Calif. police officers approach citizen who flees immediately, shedding what turns out to be a glass pipe and cell phone as he runs. An officer shoots him dead. Jury: Which wasn’t excessive force. Ninth Circuit: New trial. The jury was prejudiced by testimony about the deceased’s gang membership and recent meth use.

DeKalb County, Ga. police summoned to home where unstable father brandishes a kitchen knife, flees from a tasing, and then is shot dead as he reemerges with the knife. Eleventh Circuit: Qualified immunity on most of the family’s claims, but a jury should decide whether the shooting was appropriate.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:55 am

The police version is at odds with that of Scott’s family, who have insisted that he was disabled, sitting in his car reading a book, and had no gun. “He sits in the shade, reads his book and waits on his kid to get off the bus,” Scott’s sister told reporters. “He didn’t have no gun, he wasn’t messing with nobody.”

In a video posted to Facebook Live from the scene, Scott’s daughter Lyric can be heard yelling at investigators on the scene not to plant a weapon in Scott’s car. “Because that’s what the fuck y’all do,” she said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... e-drop-gun

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Was this moda? ^-^

Man accosts three hijab-wearing women on the street. He departs, but not before a bystander calls police. Police find man; put him in joint lock, handcuffs, and squad car; and then book him for disorderly conduct. Wait a tick! Minnesota law requires officers to have personally witnessed a misdemeanor if they’re going to arrest (sans warrant). City: The officers didn’t arrest him; the bystander did, by virtue of filling out a citizen’s arrest form that police provided. Eighth Circuit: Qualified immunity.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:39 pm

It was Moda.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:45 pm

Pulled over for speeding, grieving man stunned when officer drives him 100 miles to be with family
fixed link or http://bit.ly/2cSs83u

EDIT: thank you, Xan,I fixed the link. 'Twas a lazy paste.
Last edited by dualstow on Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:54 pm

I think this is the link you're aiming for:
http://kfor.com/2016/09/27/pulled-over- ... th-family/