Which "buy it for life" items you own?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Which "buy it for life" items you own?

Post by Pointedstick »

MachineGhost wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: Are stainless steel or traditional ceramic or enameled cookware no good, either?
Who implied they weren't?  I'd avoid lead enameled cookware though!  Ceramic/enamel is safest, following by stainless steel.  After that you get into that over-aluminumized nonstick category which is a mine field of vagueness and deception.  Finding that Greblon was like a needle in a haystack.
I'm not impressed. My parents own some of these and the coating seemed very thin. It was already flaking off in some places. The Amazon reviews are full of people claiming it's coming off, too.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

MachineGhost wrote:
WildAboutHarry wrote: Yeah, but aside from that what don't you like about it?

I suspect that most of the minute quantities of iron that are released from cast iron cookware quickly react with food and are therefore are no longer "free" iron ions.  In general, the body is pretty efficient at excreting excess iron.  Poop is rust-brown for a reason.
Hmm, maybe it is wrist-spraining heavy, it rusts upon any water contact or food sticks to it?

No offense, but suspicion is not scientific evidence.  And if your ferritin levels were above 200 as is common as you get older, would you then still say "the body is pretty efficient at excreting excess iron"?  So when it comes to toxins, I err on the side of suspicion.  And all the better with scientific evidence to back it up!  Everything I said is backed up by such if anyone wants to be Low Class and ask for independent verification. ::)
I found myself worrying about this so I did some research and came to the conclusion that cooking with cast iron is safe. Iron is not a toxin; it is a necessary mineral for metabolic processes that only becomes harmful in excessive quantities, which is why the human body has myriad natural processes to prevent the absorption of excess dietary iron in the first place and get rid of excess iron that is mistakenly absorbed (sweating, skin shedding, gastrointestinal lining regeneration). And I suspect I do not have a genetic disorder that prevents these systems from working because I do not display any of the symptoms typical of it.

http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ot ... -overload/
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

[quote=MachineGhost]No offense, but suspicion is not scientific evidence. [/quote]

None taken.  I used the word "suspect" to not sound like a know-it-all.  Iron ions are highly reactive, and any "free" iron would react with materials in food.  Now if you cook your beans in boiling vinegar in cast iron...

If you are truly worried about toxins I suggest not eating.  Food, all by itself, is full of nasty stuff.

And see PS's post on iron toxicity.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Pointedstick wrote: I found myself worrying about this so I did some research and came to the conclusion that cooking with cast iron is safe. Iron is not a toxin; it is a necessary mineral for metabolic processes that only becomes harmful in excessive quantities, which is why the human body has myriad natural processes to prevent the absorption of excess dietary iron in the first place and get rid of excess iron that is mistakenly absorbed (sweating, skin shedding, gastrointestinal lining regeneration). And I suspect I do not have a genetic disorder that prevents these systems from working because I do not display any of the symptoms typical of it.

I actually remember that post and it pacified me for awhile.  But in supplements or food, we're talking about organic ferrous iron which is iron in the natural state.  The type of iron used in cast-iron pots/pans is inorganic and already oxidized, i.e. toxic.  If you wouldn't ingest, say, oxidized cholesterol in milk/egg powder, fructose or Omega-6 on a regular basis....  But I end this here; lets get back to the main topic!

P.S.  I'm pretty sure the genetic disorder you're referring to is hemochromatosis.  My Gma has a SNP mutation for it.  Which is sheer irony.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

MachineGhost wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: I found myself worrying about this so I did some research and came to the conclusion that cooking with cast iron is safe. Iron is not a toxin; it is a necessary mineral for metabolic processes that only becomes harmful in excessive quantities, which is why the human body has myriad natural processes to prevent the absorption of excess dietary iron in the first place and get rid of excess iron that is mistakenly absorbed (sweating, skin shedding, gastrointestinal lining regeneration). And I suspect I do not have a genetic disorder that prevents these systems from working because I do not display any of the symptoms typical of it.

I actually remember that post and it pacified me for awhile.
I just wrote it right now. :P Let's take the discussion to that thread.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
georgieK

Post by georgieK »

Lots of useful information in this thread. Thank you.
I am very interested in this topic and I created a blog/website devoted to the "buy it for life" way, name www.Permabuy.com
I hope I'm not breaking any rule by mentioning my website. All criticism welcome, it's still in its initial stage. A lot of work yet to be done. I'm very happy to see people passionate about this topic.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

an earlier thread in the same vein for those who weren't around when it happened is the "The AK-47 version of everything..." thread http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ot ... /#msg49671
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

I just love this kind of thread. It stokes the abnormally large part of me that wants to replace every object in my life with a version that will last 100 years.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

dualstow wrote: porlex ceramic blade steel exterior hand coffee grinder (japan)- thanks to gizmo rat
I think I finally have tennis elbow. Great device, but maybe coffee wasn't meant to be hand ground every day.
🍍
gizmo_rat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gizmo_rat »

dualstow wrote:
dualstow wrote: porlex ceramic blade steel exterior hand coffee grinder (japan)- thanks to gizmo rat
I think I finally have tennis elbow. Great device, but maybe coffee wasn't meant to be hand ground every day.
You're doing it wrong :)

http://www.shapeways.com/product/3TB9N9 ... d=41895157
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

That is so funny, gizmo_rat, as I actually looked into the drill bits at the same time that I posted! :D Someone posted a link to them on reddit where I was searching for info on "barista wrist."

Amazon ASIN# B000NPXHUM

I probably will get the drill bits for the future, but since I need 150ml of ground coffee at a time, I'm going to use the electric grinder for now.

Coffee aside, I also happen to need a new drill, and this is the thread to ask. Does anyone have a favorite?
🍍
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

dualstow wrote: That is so funny, gizmo_rat, as I actually looked into the drill bits at the same time that I posted! :D Someone posted a link to them on reddit where I was searching for info on "barista wrist."

Amazon ASIN# B000NPXHUM

I probably will get the drill bits for the future, but since I need 150ml of ground coffee at a time, I'm going to use the electric grinder for now.

Coffee aside, I also happen to need a new drill, and this is the thread to ask. Does anyone have a favorite?
For non-construction use, probably anything, honestly. I like Bosch tools and have put mine through hell recently. All perform like new. I had a cheap old old Black & Decker hand-me-down drill from my parents that was purchased in the early 90s that I recently gave away to a relative because it just didn't have enough power for heavy use, but it will probably last forever as long as its limitations are respected.

I don't like cordless tools. The batteries eventually die and have to be replaced, and will tend to wear down between uses. And battery technology is rapidly advancing, so companies are constantly coming out with new tools with new expensive incompatible batteries. Corded tools are cheaper, too.

Anyone have a recommendation for good pants? I'm finding that my pants are falling apart these days due to all the construction-type stuff I'm doing. I mostly wear Cargo-style jeans and BDU pants but haven't found one that really lasts yet. There's always at least one part that wears out faster than the rest of it (pockets, crotch, cuffs).
Last edited by Pointedstick on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

Duluth Fire Hose pants (the original ones, not the "Duluth Flex").  I find that they fit a lot better than Carharts, look better and wear better.
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
babysquirrel

Post by babysquirrel »

+1 on the Duluth Fire Hose Pants.  Far superior to Carhartts.  The only Carhartts worth owning are the double-front, riveted original model which are hard to find.  The single front, carpenter-type Carharrts don't last and are over-priced.  I've worked outside my whole life and the Fire Hose pants are the best.  Incredible customer service / warranty from Duluth as well...
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

I'm actually wearing Carhartts right now, and they're starting to fall apart. I'd love the fire hose pants but their minimum waist size is too big for me.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

dualstow wrote: That is so funny, gizmo_rat, as I actually looked into the drill bits at the same time that I posted! :D Someone posted a link to them on reddit where I was searching for info on "barista wrist."

Amazon ASIN# B000NPXHUM

On the drill front, I'm not sure I would buy the one that I have again, although it's been decent.  I would definitely look for something with a 1/2" shank as opposed to the typical 3/8".  I've always liked Bosch and DeWalt, but I currently have a Craftsman 19.2V cordless drill that hasn't died yet so I will keep on with that.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Thanks, Hoost. All I've looked at so far is the Porter Cable which I found when I typed "drill" into the Wirecutter site.
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-bes ... -projects/

I don't use a drill very often, especially since my renovation guy is still doing some follow-up work. But, I plan to in the future. It's good to have a drill around.
🍍
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

Hey dualstow,

I'm not too familiar with the Porter Cable tools, so I'm not sure how they hold up.  I've become more wary of a lot of the online articles suggesting one item as the best, as it seems they usually end up being sponsored (and not disclosed).  It's hard to know if you're getting an honest opinion.  I'm not sure if Consumer Reports has reviewed any recently...I'll try to remember to check when I get home.  Another option might be to ask your renovation guy what he likes.  I'm sure he uses a drill regularly, and probably has some good insight on what might work for you.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

That's true. I had planned to run the Porter Cable by him, but maybe I should just ask him for a recommendation.
🍍
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Porter cable is a mid-tier brand, above Ryobi and big box store brands, but below the high tier products.

That said, a PC drill will probably serve you just fine.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

I have a corded Black and Decker, 1/4 inch chuck, 1974 vintage, made in USA, that was given to me new in 1974 and has (and still does) performed admirably for most anything I've needed. 

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

When wirecutter says "best", they are making certain assumptions that they disclose up front.  Usually they are looking for the best value for the average consumer, not the best at any price, or the best for a pro.  Basically, what will get the job done without breaking the bank
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

thanks guys
🍍
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT »

Cast Iron pans / dutch oven

Primo XL oval ceramic grill
Jay-UMN

Post by Jay-UMN »

I was gifted a bosch set (cordless) with both impact drill and hammer drill. I haven't used them extensively but the impact driver is awesome for wood screws and whatnot. This one is a 3/8" drive for the regular/hammer drill (have not used hammer drill function).

Currently on sale at home depot below.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-18-Vol ... /202716953