moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Best iPhone Apps (or Android)

Post by moda0306 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:24 pm

I'm kind of on an app craze lately.  A few of these are my favorites to use:

1) 10bii Financial Calculator
2) Sleep Cycle sleep tracker
3) My Fitness Pal calorie tracker (This is by far my favorite)
4) Kindle for books
5) Audible (Not really... haven't used it yet but I love Podcasts and have heard this is a great app for audiobooks)
6) Pandora for streaming music in tons of categories (I like this better than my iPod as I get songs I've never heard)
7) Songster for guitar tabs
8) Google Maps (turn by turn is FAR better than crApple Maps)

Anyone have any other suggestions?
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Best iPhone Apps (or Android)

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:40 pm

Air Droid for file transfer
Binary calculator - everything from base2 to base20
Chrome Browser
Pixlr by Autodesk

Shazam
Stocks - by Goldfish Labs, the one with the bull icon. Nice and clean.
Trucaller - caller ID and spam blocking
Weatherbug
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:23 pm

Walmart "price catcher" app - Scan a Walmart receipt.  If a local competitor has a lower advertised price,
you get an eGift Card for the difference. 
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:38 pm

JotNot  turns your phone into a scanner/fax machine.

FunGolf serves as GPS for most gold courses.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:21 pm

For iOS, main ones I use more frequently than the "play with" apps:

Dark Sky and/or SeasonalityGo for weather
RadarScope for weather
Fantastical for calendar
Evernote for multipurpose notes
Day One for journaling
Dropbox (primarily only if you use it on the laptop or desktop)
iBooks and Kindle for books
Tunein Radio for radio and limited podcast ability
Downcast for podcasts
Various airline site apps for travel
Flight+ for tracking air tickets, flight tracker, schedule changes
Walgreens for pretty much all things Walgreens
My Verizon to track cell usage, bills etc. for Verizon wireless
YouTube
Flipboard or Zite or Reeder for a news aggregator
Numbers, Pages and Keynote for office apps
Scanner Pro for scanning
AppAdvice to get tips on best apps
Yelp and OpenTable for restaurants
Navigon for navigation - mainly useful if you go somewhere that does not have cell service
PCalc for calculation if you need more than the basics
Translate by Google

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:24 pm

Mountaineer wrote: Tunein Radio for radio and limited podcast ability
I forgot to mention tune-in. Greatest app on both platforms. Dial up a radio station from anyplace that streams. So great.
The Sirius satellite radio app is terrible and full of bugs. Tune-in is free and works!
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:16 am

Flixster
Lastpass
Soulver (ios)
Mvelopes
SigFig
OurGroceries
Authenticator
OSMAND+ (android offline gps)
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:00 am

+1 for OurGroceries.  If you have more than one person in the household, it's indispensable.
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:06 am

Xan wrote: +1 for OurGroceries.  If you have more than one person in the household, it's indispensable.
Yes, the biggest headache is getting your spouse in the habit of checking it while at the grocery store! :) It's great too if you use the last of something...just add it to the list right away and it automatically syncs.
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:17 am

Android:

Press - rss feeds
Pocket - save articles for later
LastPass
Authy - Google Authenticater substitute
Twitter
Pocket Casts - podcasts
FlightRadar24 - see what flights are zooming above you
StormFly - Live Weather Wallpaper
Here Maps and Viago - maps apps with offline maps

Financial:
Billguard - check credit card charges
Level - budgetting
Acorns & Betterment - investing
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:22 am

Jan Van wrote: Android:

Press - rss feeds
Pocket - save articles for later
LastPass
Authy - Google Authenticater substitute
Twitter
Pocket Casts - podcasts
FlightRadar24 - see what flights are zooming above you
StormFly - Live Weather Wallpaper
Here Maps and Viago - maps apps with offline maps

Financial:
Level - budgetting
I have heard good things about HERE maps from some of the folks on the motorcycle forums.  Is it out of beta and on the play store now?  How big is a typical map file?  I have almost 20GB of maps for OSMAND...entire US vector maps, hillshade, and contours, but still have some room on my SD card.
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:59 am

hoost wrote:I have heard good things about HERE maps from some of the folks on the motorcycle forums.  Is it out of beta and on the play store now?  How big is a typical map file?  I have almost 20GB of maps for OSMAND...entire US vector maps, hillshade, and contours, but still have some room on my SD card.
It's still Here Beta, but is now available in the Google Play store. Nice thing is, you can download per state or the whole continent. Biggest state is California at 520.1 Mb. North Carolina is 311 Mb.
More map sizes:
USA: 4,970.8 Mb
Netherlands: 349.7 Mb

Africa: 1,666.5 Mb
Asia: 7,638.6 Mb
Australia/Oceania: 851 Mb
Europe: 9,474.4 Mb
North and Central America: 7,119.6 Mb
South America: 1,819 Mb

I also have Viago with a couple offline maps I had to pay for, and it has some more nice extras like Lane Assist, which is really handy. Unfortunately I have had problems a few times where Viago didn't want to start up when I was out of an internet signal. Kind of defeats the offline maps purpose I'd say. Here maps helped me out one of those times...

Viago: USA without Alaska = 1.6G, USA & Canada = 2G, Western Europe 2.5G, can't download individual states or countries (but sometimes smaller areas, like Benelux & France 734Mb!
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:14 pm

For long driving trips or long commutes, I like Waze. It tracks real-time traffic conditions based on other people using Waze, so its turn-by-turn navigation automatically re-routes you if necessary to avoid sudden traffic jams, accidents, sudden road closures, etc.

If you like craft beer, a fun app I recently started using is Untappd. Even if you don't use it for the silly social aspects (checking in to pubs/restaurants, earning "badges," etc.), it's useful for searching for certain hard-to-find craft beers in your area--or any place you're interested in. You just type in the name of the beer or search for it by brewery, and it'll list all the locations where Untappd users have found that beer.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:26 pm

One more iOS suggestion that I use several times per day.  I really like the seamless integration with TouchID on the iPhone: 

1Password

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:11 pm

Jan Van wrote:
hoost wrote:I have heard good things about HERE maps from some of the folks on the motorcycle forums.  Is it out of beta and on the play store now?  How big is a typical map file?  I have almost 20GB of maps for OSMAND...entire US vector maps, hillshade, and contours, but still have some room on my SD card.
It's still Here Beta, but is now available in the Google Play store. Nice thing is, you can download per state or the whole continent. Biggest state is California at 520.1 Mb. North Carolina is 311 Mb.
More map sizes:
USA: 4,970.8 Mb
Netherlands: 349.7 Mb

Africa: 1,666.5 Mb
Asia: 7,638.6 Mb
Australia/Oceania: 851 Mb
Europe: 9,474.4 Mb
North and Central America: 7,119.6 Mb
South America: 1,819 Mb

I also have Viago with a couple offline maps I had to pay for, and it has some more nice extras like Lane Assist, which is really handy. Unfortunately I have had problems a few times where Viago didn't want to start up when I was out of an internet signal. Kind of defeats the offline maps purpose I'd say. Here maps helped me out one of those times...

Viago: USA without Alaska = 1.6G, USA & Canada = 2G, Western Europe 2.5G, can't download individual states or countries (but sometimes smaller areas, like Benelux & France 734Mb!
Those file sizes for Here sound about like the ones I have for OSMAND+.  Looks like the vector maps are 7.2GB for the entire US including AK and HI.  CA is 570MB.  I may download it and give it a whirl.  Although, jogging my memory, I don't believe it has the ability to import GPX files...maybe that's why I didn't download it before.  I like to preplan my route before I go out so that I can avoid busy roads as much as possible on the bike.

Viago sounds like the file sizes are a bit too small to have all of the roads. Maybe that's why it still needs an internet connection.
Tortoise wrote: For long driving trips or long commutes, I like Waze. It tracks real-time traffic conditions based on other people using Waze, so its turn-by-turn navigation automatically re-routes you if necessary to avoid sudden traffic jams, accidents, sudden road closures, etc.
I've heard of people using Waze, but didn't realize that was how it worked.  Sounds like it's worth a download.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Great list!!!

Here's mine (iOS):

TinyScan (scanner...must be a lot of these programs around, this one is great and syncs easily to dropbox)
Papers - syncs from my research article library on Dropbox but also is a great pdf reader
Pandora (of course)
Kindle
Ally Bank & Mint apps
Feedly (for browsing journals)
Amazon instant video + airplay + Apple TV + Amazon Prime = no need for netflix
Uber
Wazhack - awesome game for subway rides
thinking about YNAB

Will be adding a few more soon!! :-)
Last edited by WiseOne on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:07 am

ANDROID:

- Keep for notes

- Calendar

- Vivineo for wine

- Snapseed for photos

- Pixlr potos

- Clean master utility

- Runkeeper for running and bike

- Viber phone

Live healthy, live actively and live life!
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:41 am

hoost wrote:
Tortoise wrote: For long driving trips or long commutes, I like Waze. It tracks real-time traffic conditions based on other people using Waze, so its turn-by-turn navigation automatically re-routes you if necessary to avoid sudden traffic jams, accidents, sudden road closures, etc.
I've heard of people using Waze, but didn't realize that was how it worked.  Sounds like it's worth a download.
Isn't the traffic rerouting also integrated in Google Maps now? I think they use the info from Waze. Same problem as GMaps though, you need an internet connection, else you're out of luck.
Both Here and Viago have a traffic component. Can't say how effective either is though.
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Jan Van wrote:
hoost wrote:
Isn't the traffic rerouting also integrated in Google Maps now? I think they use the info from Waze. Same problem as GMaps though, you need an internet connection, else you're out of luck.
Both Here and Viago have a traffic component. Can't say how effective either is though.
I have had GMaps reroute me before, saying the new route was faster, so you may be right.  Although as I understand it, Waze gives you various alerts as to what's ahead, and I haven't seen GMaps do that.  I will have to play around with it.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:26 pm

For what it's worth, the Navigon navigation app has traffic info, red light and camera info, and does not need either cell or internet service for the navigation with turn by turn voice guidance and the lane guidance part to work, just GPS.    I have noticed that when driving in the Seattle area, the traffic congestion information and the rerouting options worked well - you can program the app for "fast", "short", or "optimal" (not exactly sure what the optimal setting does).  Some of my travels are in the Cascades in WA where there is no cell service.  That is why I paid the $$ for Navigon vs. the free apps.  It also has a compass, altimeter, etc. that I don't use much and point of interest info (e.g. gas, hotels, restaurants) that I've used some.

... Mountaineer
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:02 pm

Mountaineer wrote:...Some of my travels are in the Cascades in WA where there is no cell service.  That is why I paid the $$ for Navigon...
That's why I bought Viago with a couple of maps, only to have it freeze on me when I was out east somewhere without cell service...  >:(
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:54 am

Wow, timely topic!  I'll have to check this stuff out.  The Adnroid app ecosystem is not very impressive, so not holding my breath.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:17 am

Mountaineer wrote: Navigon for navigation - mainly useful if you go somewhere that does not have cell service
Very impressive, but its $30!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:42 am

Jan Van wrote: Here Maps and Viago - maps apps with offline maps
What the diff between Viago and Navigon?

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:53 am

Jan Van wrote: Financial:
Level - budgetting
You and some others seem pretty comfortable having all your financial account accessibility data available on a relatively insecure phone.  Why?