Re: Best iPhone Apps (or Android)

Post by MilfordTony »

Amazon Instant
Bean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Bean »

Attempt to list some that I don't think have been listed yet and that I use regularly

iOS:
Weatherunderground, blows other weather apps away
Alienblue, for reddit
Google voice, for my other phone number
Great clips, silly, but the app check in saves a huge amount of time
Sky guide, location and position aware guide to the stars
Opentable, if you need a dinner reservation this is fantastic
Google drive and assorted apps
Speed test
Uber
Dropbox
Fandango

I have a ton more, as I am an app junkie :(
“Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business and a third let him keep by him in reserve.� ~Talmud
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

There was an Uber driver in front of me the other day. I swear he looked like he couldn't drive at all. I'll hesitate to use them in the future.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

dualstow wrote: Yes, this undermines the purpose of seeking secure apps, but eventually I'll find something and stick with it. Oh, and unlike Silent Circle, which MG mentioned a few years ago, this is free.
Wicker is the free go to secure chat app now.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MachineGhost wrote:
dualstow wrote: Yes, this undermines the purpose of seeking secure apps, but eventually I'll find something and stick with it. Oh, and unlike Silent Circle, which MG mentioned a few years ago, this is free.
Wicker is the free go to secure chat app now.
Just saw this. Checking out Wickr (no 'e') now at the Play store.

In the WSJ today:
Moxie Marlinspike: The Coder Who Encrypted Your Texts
http://www.wsj.com/articles/moxie-marli ... 1436486274
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Does anyone use apps for Person2Person payments? I've been wondering about this since I have a regular weekly pizza night with friends. But, we do get by on cash & credit cards.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

dualstow wrote: Does anyone use apps for Person2Person payments? I've been wondering about this since I have a regular weekly pizza night with friends. But, we do get by on cash & credit cards.
My bank has "bill pay" which is functionally almost equivalent and is deducted from checking.  I sometimes use it, but prefer the credit card route when possible since my bank bill pay does not offer discounts like my credit card does - better protection and MUCH better claim dispute process (but I've only used that a couple of times).  When I dine with friends, we usually just split the bill evenly using our respective credit cards and don't worry about if one person buys something more expensive - it all evens out over time.  Works well.  Sorry, this does not address your app question however.

... M
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

moda0306 wrote: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:24 pm I'm kind of on an app craze lately.  A few of these are my favorites to use:

1) 10bii Financial Calculator
2) Sleep Cycle sleep tracker
3) My Fitness Pal calorie tracker (This is by far my favorite)
4) Kindle for books
5) Audible (Not really... haven't used it yet but I love Podcasts and have heard this is a great app for audiobooks)
6) Pandora for streaming music in tons of categories (I like this better than my iPod as I get songs I've never heard)
7) Songster for guitar tabs
8) Google Maps (turn by turn is FAR better than crApple Maps)

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Since a fair amount of time has gone by since this was originally asked, anyone want to give their updates for an the Android phone I am using with my GoogleFi service?

I am trying to use it more but it's always going to far down the list when I can be using a full keyboard with this (or any other computer) or my iPad Mini when I am out. Love the Mini because it is so light! And, it is not pure torture to use its keyboard, which is how I feel whenever I have to use the keyboard on a phone.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."