How Much Would You Pay for this Wooden Shack?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How Much Would You Pay for this House?

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:12 pm

WiseOne wrote: Wow, and I thought NYC was bad!

My brother beat out several other bids for the last "affordable" house in another insane Bay Area location, by waiving the inspection.  He discovered mold and rot behind the walls, and ended up gut renovating the house including replacing an outside wall.  He came out ahead of the game thanks to a pile of 0% interest for 9 months credit cards and the fact that he did most of the work himself.

Anyway, I'll guess $700K.
How much does the average single-family house in Manhattan cost?

You know, I thought there weren't any left, but apparently I was wrong:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Ma ... ect/11_zm/

Although I'll it doesn't have much land either.  :D
Last edited by Libertarian666 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How Much Would You Pay for this House?

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:34 pm

$127,000 a month?

Someone pick me up off the floor.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How Much Would You Pay for this Wooden Shack?

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:38 pm

Here's some more specs:

2 bedrooms
1 full bathroom
Lot size is 1633 sq feet.
Built in 1906.
Been vacant for eight years.

Oh, and the neighbors say double-paned windows help with the backyard noise.  hehe

Here's another lovely shot:

P.S.  Note the subject title change.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:04 pm

LOL, no car!

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:58 am

Price??
All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone. - Blaise Pascal
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:14 am

If you want to cheat and look at the price:

http://fortune.com/2015/09/25/san-franc ... pest-home/
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/16-De ... 5901_zpid/

(Note: found this house from the picture through copying the location of the picture, and then putting it into Google Images to search for that location picture. The wonders of technology).

EDIT: Typos
Last edited by Greg on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
goodasgold
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by goodasgold » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:53 am

Greg wrote: If you want to cheat and look at the price:

(Note: found this house from the picture through coping the location of the picture, and then putting it into Google Images to search for that location picture. The wonders of technology).
From the "Dept. of Count Your Blessings:" And I thought buying a place in New York City was expensive! Actually, it is possible to buy a home within easy commuting distance of NYC for a lot less than this SF slumhut.

And the financial situation of NY State is a lot better (or at least a lot less bad) than California,  despite all the media hype to the contrary regarding the purported financial miracles wreaked by Gov. Moonbeam of CA. Which would you rather buy: the Brooklyn Bridge or the California High-Speed Rail line?
Last edited by goodasgold on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:41 am

goodasgold wrote: And the financial situation of NY State is a lot better (or at least a lot less bad) than California,  despite all the media hype to the contrary regarding the purported financial miracles wreaked by Gov. Moonbeam of CA. Which would you rather buy: the Brooklyn Bridge or the California High-Speed Rail line?
Illinois is in even worse shape than California.  And surprisingly, Gov. Moonbeam has been more effective (in forestalling doom at least) than Gov. Terminator.  I guess it helps to have cronies all on your side of the fence.

What an utterly ignorant idiot Gov. Moonbeam is:
California Gov. Jerry Brown recently vetoed the state’s Right to Try Act, which passed both the state assembly and the senate with bipartisan support.

In his veto message, the governor [falsely] wrote, “Patients with life-threatening conditions should be able to try experimental drugs, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s compassionate use program allows this to happen.”
Last edited by MachineGhost on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:06 pm

The asking price isn't the price.  We won't know what it's worth until it sells.  San Francisco real estate has recently been going for way over asking, either because of teaser prices or market insanity, or both.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:29 pm

Wooden Shack in San Francisco Sells for $408,000
It appears the old adage holds true: when it comes to real estate, it’s all about location, location, location.

The wooden shack that was on sale for $350,000 in San Francisco’s trendy Outer Mission neighborhood is officially off the market. The deal for the 765-square-foot residence closed on Thursday, with a pair of investors nabbing the property for a cool $408,000, according to Vanguard realtors.
From here...
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Wo ... 00291.html
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:27 pm

Hilariously, it's considered a historical landmark and can't be torn down and rebuilt!
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:02 am

Simonjester wrote:
Tyler wrote: Hilariously, it's considered a historical landmark and can't be torn down and rebuilt!
and how does that not drive the value down to squatter shack prices? it would mean the land cant be used..

I am sure it can be torn down, after completion of a $850,000 cultural resource study and a $1.5 million relocation of the "historic" structure.

Of course there is always the possibility that hobos bums vagrants the homeless underhoused citizens could have an accident with fire.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:20 pm

More Bay Area real estate:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... llion.html

$11k per square foot.  Bring your best offers!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:07 pm

Tyler wrote: More Bay Area real estate:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... llion.html

$11k per square foot.  Bring your best offers!
$2 million for a nice-sized lot in an area like that isn't crazy.  The shack actually probably lowers the value by $50,000 or so because the shack will have to be removed before a new house can be built on the lot.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Greg wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:14 am
If you want to cheat and look at the price:

(Note: found this house from the picture through copying the location of the picture, and then putting it into Google Images to search for that location picture. The wonders of technology).

EDIT: Typos
Just went to the Zillow link and it looks like it sold for about $622,000 and is now worth about $700,000.

I visited a former coworker in San Francisco in July 1981 and the prices were already back then many, many, many times what they were similar houses in Western Massachusetts. Of course, she was getting paid A LOT more than she was getting paid when we were working together.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:26 pm

It's because of prices like these (and the fact that my family is in the east coast) that I'm glad I go to California coast to visit, not stay.