The DHS is a worthless embarrassment

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

The DHS is a worthless embarrassment

Post by Pointedstick »

That's the paraphrased version, of course. :)
http://freebeacon.com/national-security ... atch-list/

At least 72 employees at the Department of Homeland Security are listed on the U.S. terrorist watch list, according to a Democratic lawmaker.

Rep. Stephen Lynch (D., Mass.) disclosed that a congressional investigation recently found that at least 72 people working at DHS also “were on the terrorist watch list.”

“Back in August, we did an investigation—the inspector general did—of the Department of Homeland Security, and they had 72 individuals that were on the terrorist watch list that were actually working at the Department of Homeland Security,” Lynch told Boston Public Radio.

“The [former DHS] director had to resign because of that,” he said.

DHS continues to fail inspections aimed at determining the efficiency of its internal safety mechanisms, as well as its efforts to protect the nation.

Lynch referred to a recent report that found the Transportation Security Administration, which is overseen by DHS, failed to stop 95 percent of those who attempted to bring restricted items past airport security.

“We had staffers go into eight different airports to test the department of homeland security screening process at major airports. They had a 95 percent failure rate,” Lynch said. “We had folks—this was a testing exercise, so we had folks going in there with guns on their ankles, and other weapons on their persons, and there was a 95 percent failure rate.”

Lynch said he has “very low confidence” in DHS based on its many failures over the years.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The DHS is a worthless embarrassment

Post by Greg »

Thanks for the post. Good job federal people. I blame myself for our ineptitude.  ;)
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

I hope you're not one of those 72 people! ;D
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj »

Pointedstick wrote: I hope you're not one of those 72 people! ;D
How could one know? As far as I've read, it's impossible for one to know if they've been placed on a watchlist.  Though I guess you would find out if/when you're denied the ability to travel.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

drumminj wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: I hope you're not one of those 72 people! ;D
How could one know? As far as I've read, it's impossible for one to know if they've been placed on a watchlist.  Though I guess you would find out if/when you're denied the ability to travel.
One couldn't. It's a secret. That's why the idea of prohibiting such people from buying guns is unconstitutional; it amounts to denial of civil rights without due process.

The whole idea of a "no-fly list" flies in the face of constitutional governance, but good grief, if the damn thing exists, you'd think they could at least prevent those people from working in the very agency in charge of investigating them!
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj »

Agree on all points.  My question How could one know? was sarcastic, I just forgot the smiley
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

There is no doubt in my mind that Islamic terrorists have infiltrated the DHS and the TSA. It would just be wrong to profile them now wouldn't it? Think about that the next time you board a plane or see one fly over a tall building.
Last edited by Reub on Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.