Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

The Wildest Idea on Earth

Post by MachineGhost »

Very ambitious!

[quote=http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... 180952379/]The eminent evolutionary biologist E.O. Wilson has an audacious vision for saving Earth from a cataclysmic extinction event[/quote]
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Wildest Idea on Earth

Post by dualstow »

Very interesting! I was skeptical, MG, because while you are not the boy who cried wolf, you are kind of the guy who cried GAAAAAHHHHHHTLATHLEHEONELENELLSHDOIEHROEIE! (hyperbole).

But, I always love E.O. Wilson's work. He usually writes about ants and nature.
🍍
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

I'm for it, so long as those stingy marine organisms are willing to share half the ocean with us landlubbers.  Floating cities! 
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

On second thought, I am usually very skeptical of octogenarians telling all the young folks what to do, after the octos have already had their fun.

I am reminded of P.J. O'Rourke book, All The Trouble In the World.  His chapter about overpopulation and Paul Ehrlich was titled "Just Enough Of Me, Way Too Much Of You".

And another great line from that same book:
P.J. O'Rourke wrote:"Malthus," says Vice President Al Gore in Earth In The Balance, "was right in predicting that the population would grow geometrically."  Al, as the father of four children, should know.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

P.J. O'Rourke is funny but he seems to be eternally stuck as a right-winger, with no nuance about practical reality at all.  I tried to read Eat the Rich but wasn't expecting it to be a book on economics instead of funny political humor.  Zzzzz.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I forgot about this thread and when I saw the title this morning, I thought it was about the rhino airlifts.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ani ... australia/
🍍
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

[quote=MachineGhost]P.J. O'Rourke is funny but he seems to be eternally stuck as a right-winger[/quote]

He is funny, but his books vary between brilliant stuff and so-so material.  All The Trouble in the World falls into the former category, I think.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

dualstow wrote: I forgot about this thread and when I saw the title this morning, I thought it was about the rhino airlifts.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ani ... australia/
Very cool!  Meanwhile we waste time locking up colored people for smoking pot or a crack pipe while RIFFF's slaughter thousands of elephants and rhinos a year to fund their terrorist campaigns.  Stupid, stupid Repugnicans!