How Palmer Luckey Created Oculus Rift

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

How Palmer Luckey Created Oculus Rift

Post by MachineGhost »

[quote=http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovatio ... 49/?no-ist]When the Rift arrives in stores, it will be an imperfect, fledgling product, but one that promises previously unimaginable new experiences. Luckey himself agrees with this assessment. “This is the Model T,” he told me. “We want to be where the Tesla is eventually. What we have now is something that’s affordable, that’s good enough for people, and that will be able to sustain the growth that’s needed to get to the Tesla.”

And what, I asked, is the VR equivalent of the Tesla in this analogy? Perfect virtual reality, he replied—by which he meant a digital experience that is indistinguishable from real life. “That’s the end goal,” he said. “We’ll get there within my lifetime.”

For now, though, Luckey is buoyantly happy with the development of the Rift, and with his role at Oculus. He doesn’t get to do as much engineering work these days, but rather than feel left out, he’s glad to leave the grunt work behind. “It wasn’t like I was handing off my baby to someone,” he explained. “It’s more like I was handing off changing the diapers to someone, and I still get the baby.” He remains plenty busy doing precisely what he loves: building excitement for what will be the first true wave of popular virtual reality—a wave that he, to his continual amazement, helped to create.[/quote]
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How Palmer Luckey Created Oculus Rift

Post by Pointedstick »

Turns out we're crating the Matrix ourselves; no malevolent AI robots necessary.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

I really abhor the idea of the signal-to-noise ratio getting even worse with Facebookers, et al. sharing "experiences".  Gag me with a pitchfork!  The future is starting took more and more like Existenz than Star Trek:(
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj »

MachineGhost wrote: The future is starting took more and more like Existenz than Star Trek:(
Wow, I didn't realize that was a well known movie.  My college friends were really into it (watched it a number of times with them), but certainly didn't expect to see it brought up on a personal finance forum 15 years later!