Documentaries Worth Watching

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Documentaries Worth Watching

Post by MachineGhost »

Been on a documentary kick lately. Most are just okay (3 stars), but I plan to list the ones here that warrant 3.5 stars or higher.

First up is the documentary Sugar Coated. I was expecting the usual overblown hype with little in the way of actual facts, but it's actually interesting and prominently features Dr. Robert Lustig, who is a man on a mission to save us all from toxic sugar. My lack of respect for him reversed and went up a notch. There's also another Very Important Person ringgleading what's going to eventually be the next big "Tobacco" case against the sugar industry since she lucked into a collection of incriminating sugar lobby documents from the 70's.

http://www.sugarcoateddoc.com/
Last edited by MachineGhost on Tue May 31, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Documentaries Worth Watching

Post by MachineGhost »

Next up is Human Planet from BBC. If you're squeamish or a vegetarian/vegan/animal rightist, you may want to skip this one. It highlights humans and their methods of survival, most in the planet's extreme and undeveloped zones. Better yet, its new film and not yet another cut and dice rehash of BBC stock like everything else they offer seems to be. It's all very interesting and sometimes even wonderful!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00llpvp
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Documentaries Worth Watching

Post by MediumTex »

If you don't have HBO it's worth subscribing for a month for $15 just for their documentaries.

I would start with the one about Snowden, then the one about Scientology, then the one about the Mexican border fence/wall.

There are probably 10 more that are also worth watching.

Away from HBO, watch the documentary about Paul Newnan's racing career. Fabulous!