New York's Outdated Knife Law (NYT)

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

New York's Outdated Knife Law (NYT)

Post by dualstow » Tue May 31, 2016 2:56 pm

It's not just guns and large soda bottles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/31/opini ... ef=opinion
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New York's Outdated Knife Law (NYT)

Post by MediumTex » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:07 pm

This law is being used simply as a tool to harass the most vulnerable members of society.

It also provides a pretext for the government to steal your knife.

I'll bet if you checked in the pockets of many police officers, you would find knives like these because they are just very useful tools.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:23 pm

MediumTex wrote:I'll bet if you checked in the pockets of many police officers, you would find knives like these because they are just very useful tools.
I'm sure they have a nice collection built up, too. ;-)

Interesting that you can buy the knives anywhere, like Home Depot, but that you're in violation of the law when you walk out the door.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:26 pm

dualstow wrote:
MediumTex wrote:This law is being used simply as a tool to harass the most vulnerable members of society.

It also provides a pretext for the government to steal your knife.

I'll bet if you checked in the pockets of many police officers, you would find knives like these because they are just very useful tools.
I'm sure they have a nice collection built up, too. ;-)

Interesting that you can buy the knives anywhere, like Home Depot, but that you're in violation of the law when you walk out the door.
Same is true when you buy a baseball bat and you aren't on your way to baseball practice. The police can characterize a baseball bat as an illegal club in many many jurisdictions if they choose to.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:04 pm

Good grief! MT actually had the balls to recommend one of those terrible horrible illegal knives to me --- and I honored his recommendation. I must remember never to take it with me to the town of oversized sugar containing drinks and where only the criminals are well armed. Better I'd take a hoard of illegal boarder crossers with me.

... Mountaineer
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Good grief! MT actually had the balls to recommend one of those terrible horrible illegal knives to me --- and I honored his recommendation. I must remember never to take it with me to the town of oversized sugar containing drinks and where only the criminals are well armed. Better I'd take a hoard of illegal boarder crossers with me.

... Mountaineer
We were involved in a criminal conspiracy and didn't even know it!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:33 pm

Where is that knife recommendation post anyway? I wanted to review member Coffee's recommendations and could not find it.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:56 pm

Honestly all modern knives from reputable brands (Kershaw, Spyderco, etc) are inexpensive and awesome. Get what you think looks cool and has whatever features you want in a knife. If you don't know, just get whatever. It'll be awesome!
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:02 pm

Somebody seems to have replaced PS with a sort of a version of Donald Trump.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:23 pm

Pointedstick wrote:Honestly all modern knives from reputable brands (Kershaw, Spyderco, etc) are inexpensive and awesome. Get what you think looks cool and has whatever features you want in a knife. If you don't know, just get whatever. It'll be awesome!
I did buy a Mora based on Coffee's (?) suggestion once. They might look "cheap" but it turns out they're inexpensive and yet very well made. Leave it to the Swedes.
jafs wrote:Somebody seems to have replaced PS with a sort of a version of Donald Trump.
Once upon a time, several people accused you, jafs, of being a recently departed & disgruntled member (forgot his name), and I said no way. I still say no way, but you are starting to remind me of a member named stone. Are you stone?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:33 pm

I have a Mora as well. My wife used it to slaughter a chicken once, and it performed very well for a $9 knife. Honestly the knife on my Leatherman multitool is awesome too. It's sort of hard to mess up a knife with today's level of knife technology.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Pointedstick wrote:...
. Honestly the knife on my Leatherman multitool is awesome too. It's sort of hard to mess up a knife with today's level of knife technology.
I have a Fuse that I like very much.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:58 pm

I had a Leatherman Wave that I carried (and used) daily for eight years. I lost it a few years ago and replaced it with a Leatherman Wingman, which was nice, but broke in a year. I replaced that with another Wave and I've had it for a couple of years now and hopefully I won't lose this one! The Wave is just an incredible piece of pocket technology.

Speaking of incredible pocket-sized technology… flashlights! Holy mackerel are these things amazing. You can get AAA lights that illuminate the whole neighborhood now, for like $15. The Chinese manufacturers have reps who hang out on flashlight forums and you can literally talk to them and suggest new features and they will implement them in future product revisions or even design a custom flashlight based on crowdsourced forum ideas. I bought one such model for $7 a few weeks ago, and it's incredible. I have another even better one on order that cost me $15 and it brighter than the much larger flashlight I currently have in a bulky holster.

$7! One AAA! The pleasures of the modern world, man.

IMHO, knife technology is pretty mature now, and the next frontier for EDC stuff is definitely flashlights. It seems like every month they get smaller and brighter.

It also occurs to me that if Trump becomes president, maybe I'm not actually so into the idea of the spigot of cheap and awesome Chinese technology starting to shut off. The American flashlights were always crap. Maglites were terrible for everything except being used as clubs. Now that they have to compete with high-quality Chinese offerings from the likes of Fenix, they're a lot better now.

Wait, did I just talk myself into voting for Gary Johnson?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:15 pm

Ha! I bought a Maglite when I first moved back to the US and it never worked once. It was indeed a beautiful purple cudgel!

I own 4 flashlights, not including smartphones, and have cut myself off. I really like the nano, and will replace that when it dies.
amzn.com/B0011UIPIW
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:40 am

dualstow wrote:Honestly all modern knives from reputable brands (Kershaw, Spyderco, etc) are inexpensive and awesome. Once upon a time, several people accused you, jafs, of being a recently departed & disgruntled member (forgot his name), and I said no way. I still say no way, but you are starting to remind me of a member named stone. Are you stone?
He's not Stone. Stone was Bwitish and used the term "in my mind" alot. He's not mathjak either who had terrible grammar cuz he could only type one one finger.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:43 am

Pointedstick wrote: Wait, did I just talk myself into voting for Gary Johnson?
Does it matter now? Trump's the nominee. The silly popular vote sideshow don't mean jaxshit. I didn't even get a Republican primary ballot (they didn't process my re-registration in time I guess), or I'd be Very Very Upset.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
gizmo_rat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gizmo_rat » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:10 am

Meh, I had to purchase (at premium) an approved under 18 street legal pen knife for my daughter's unsupervised camping expedition.

Note the rounded unsharpened end to the blade. The pointed end to the scissors is OK though (sigh).
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:34 am

gizmo_rat wrote:Meh, I had to purchase (at premium) an approved under 18 street legal pen knife for my daughter's unsupervised camping expedition.

Note the rounded unsharpened end to the blade. The pointed end to the scissors is OK though (sigh).
That knife is a lovely symbol of what has happened to the modern American male.

It's kind of sad, goofy and surreal, all at the same time.
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:37 am

dualstow wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:Honestly all modern knives from reputable brands (Kershaw, Spyderco, etc) are inexpensive and awesome. Get what you think looks cool and has whatever features you want in a knife. If you don't know, just get whatever. It'll be awesome!
I did buy a Mora based on Coffee's (?) suggestion once. They might look "cheap" but it turns out they're inexpensive and yet very well made. Leave it to the Swedes.
jafs wrote:Somebody seems to have replaced PS with a sort of a version of Donald Trump.
Once upon a time, several people accused you, jafs, of being a recently departed & disgruntled member (forgot his name), and I said no way. I still say no way, but you are starting to remind me of a member named stone. Are you stone?
Nope.

I vaguely remember him, although I can't remember what kind of posts he made.

I'm just me.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:25 pm

Sounds good. ^-^
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:46 pm

;D
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:46 pm

dualstow wrote:Sounds good. ^-^
You didn't believe me, huh? Jafs could have lied!!!

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:07 pm

I think jafs is actually Daniel Craig. He's bored of making James Bond movies, which were also cutting into his forum time.
Daniel/jafs, I loved you in 'Layer Cake'.
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:13 am

My name is afs, j...afs.

You guys crack me up!
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:31 am

Somehow I can't see Donald Trump slaughtering a chicken or shopping for pocket knives.