The Olympics

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Olympics

Post by dualstow »

Kriegsspiel wrote:After seeing what other Arabs have done to avoid even competing against Israelis, I'd call this progress.
True. I remember at least one judoka declining to fight in past years. I think he was Jordanian, and they're one of the milder countries. My guess is that it was not just a personal decision, but that he had been asked to drop out.

Off topic, but meanwhile Egypt cut off power to Gaza this year and it barely made a ripple in the news and social media.

For an Egyptian olympian to do this...well, I guess one must keep up appearances.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

I don't know crap about gymnastics but I've seen Simone a couple of times. The anchors have said she may well be the best technical gymnast ever. She does make the super complex stuff look easy. Women's gymnastics is certainly different from the Cold War days where the women were thin, muscled and elegant looking. The body shape now is short, squat, highly muscled. Honestly no comment good or bad here, but it appears the physics of what they do is really driving the selection of the best young athletes for the sport.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Kbg wrote:I don't know crap about gymnastics but I've seen Simone a couple of times. The anchors have said she may well be the best technical gymnast ever. She does make the super complex stuff look easy. Women's gymnastics is certainly different from the Cold War days where the women were thin, muscled and elegant looking. The body shape now is short, squat, highly muscled. Honestly no comment good or bad here, but it appears the physics of what they do is really driving the selection of the best young athletes for the sport.
It was the Romanian influence at the time. I do wonder if they're taking non-testable, pro-hormone steroid analogs nowadays. They have that "look".

Check out some of the female weightlifters. They're almost the same look, just more extreme. The small, Asian women lifting 300+ lbs make me feel very emasculated. Golly!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

You need to embrace those women, MG. Figuratively, of course.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Two American swimmers were taken off of a plane in Rio today by police for questioning about their robbery at gunpoint complaint done by men dressed in police uniforms. Evidently, the Brazilian authorities are saying that the four American swimmers who were robbed were making it up. Brazil is a third world country for sure....and a banana republic. And you know that us having the weakest leader in our history is not a deterrent for them.

http://news.trust.org/item/20160818012935-utx7p
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

So this is Obama's fault too? :D
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Actually, I was wrong. Brazil is a second-world country, not third. Third world is predominantly in Africa and SouthEast Asia now. The only pocket left in North America is where all the unaccompanied Dream Act kiddies are from... Central America.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

MachineGhost wrote:Actually, I was wrong. Brazil is a second-world country, not third. Third world is predominantly in Africa and SouthEast Asia now. The only pocket left in North America is where all the unaccompanied Dream Act kiddies are from... Central America.
Brazil is second-world? They were allied with the Soviets during the Cold War?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Looks like somebody needs to brush up on his Horowitz.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

dualstow wrote:
Kriegsspiel wrote:After seeing what other Arabs have done to avoid even competing against Israelis, I'd call this progress.
True. I remember at least one judoka declining to fight in past years. I think he was Jordanian, and they're one of the milder countries. My guess is that it was not just a personal decision, but that he had been asked to drop out.

For an Egyptian olympian to do this...well, I guess one must keep up appearances.
I assumed Kriegsspiel was referring to the Munich attack, as opposed to earlier examples of hand shaking refusals.

If we've gone from shooting and blowing up 11 members of the Israeli Olympic delegation to just a refusal to shake hands here and there, that's a move in the right direction I would say.

When measuring progress, I guess it all depends on your starting point.

Refusing to shake an opponent's hand when it is customary because of the opponent's nationality looks pretty childish. Why even agree to compete against someone if you are going to act like that?
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MediumTex wrote: I assumed Kriegsspiel was referring to the Munich attack, as opposed to earlier examples of hand shaking refusals.
Ha, could be, but that was a looong time ago. Which was it, K? Refusal to fight (not just shake hands) or Munich?
Refusing to shake an opponent's hand when it is customary because of the opponent's nationality looks pretty childish. Why even agree to compete against someone if you are going to act like that?
It's a PR move. It is childish, but it tickles those who already hate Israel.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

dualstow wrote:
MediumTex wrote: I assumed Kriegsspiel was referring to the Munich attack, as opposed to earlier examples of hand shaking refusals.
Ha, could be, but that was a looong time ago. Which was it, K? Refusal to fight (not just shake hands) or Munich?
It's a PR move. It is childish, but it tickles those who already hate Israel.
Tickling hate.

That ties in nicely to my Hate thread.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Yea, I thought it was a pretty funny timeline. They've gone from taking and killing hostages, to binge eating to avoid having to face an Israeli, to facing them, but acting like little bitches. With any luck, by 2028 they'll just fight each other and have some tea afterwards.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Kriegsspiel wrote:Yea, I thought it was a pretty funny timeline. They've gone from taking and killing hostages, to binge eating to avoid having to face an Israeli, to facing them, but acting like little bitches. With any luck, by 2028 they'll just fight each other and have some tea afterwards.
Wow, I hadn't heard about the binge eating. Maybe they could have a sumo match.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Xan wrote:Brazil is second-world? They were allied with the Soviets during the Cold War?
No idea what you're referring to.

I clearly see American NeoCon Exceptalism at work in the above map. Does anyone else?

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Reub wrote:Two American swimmers were taken off of a plane in Rio today by police for questioning about their robbery at gunpoint complaint done by men dressed in police uniforms. Evidently, the Brazilian authorities are saying that the four American swimmers who were robbed were making it up. Brazil is a third world country for sure....and a banana republic. And you know that us having the weakest leader in our history is not a deterrent for them.

http://news.trust.org/item/20160818012935-utx7p
Looks like we're the assholes again. No robbery. Just Americans vandalizing a gas station toilet,trying to cover it up, and failing badly.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

dualstow wrote:Looks like we're the assholes again. No robbery. Just Americans vandalizing a gas station toilet,trying to cover it up, and failing badly.
America! F. Yeah!

Is there a less likable elite athlete out there right now than Ryan Lochte?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Oh, my map is based on the Human Development Index, which is what we commonly use for investing purposes.

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Tyler wrote:
dualstow wrote:Looks like we're the assholes again. No robbery. Just Americans vandalizing a gas station toilet,trying to cover it up, and failing badly.
America! F. Yeah!

He is just awful, no doubt.

But... Suppose you were in America and vandalized a toilet. (Yes, that's a bad thing to do.) And then the security guard of the gas station came up and drew his gun and said he needed hundreds of dollars for the repairs, right then and there. Wouldn't that be considered armed robbery? Maybe it's standard procedure in Brazil. But I do see that the swimmers might have legitimately considered themselves to have been robbed.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Xan wrote:
Tyler wrote:Is there a less likable elite athlete out there right now than Ryan Lochte?

But... Suppose you were in America and vandalized a toilet. (Yes, that's a bad thing to do.) And then the security guard of the gas station came up and drew his gun and said he needed hundreds of dollars for the repairs, right then and there. Wouldn't that be considered armed robbery? Maybe it's standard procedure in Brazil. But I do see that the swimmers might have legitimately considered themselves to have been robbed.
I suppose the response could be interpreted in any number of ways. I hate vandals. When I heard a story from a Taiwanese friend about a guy who was deported for stealing a Xmas tree from a store in Taipei, I thought good. Even the Taiwanese girl thought the response was inappropriately harsh -- "It was just a prank!" --but I thought good riddance.

When that guy got caned for vandalism in Singapore, I thought, that's what they should do here.

At least no one got shot.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Xan wrote: But... Suppose you were in America and vandalized a toilet. (Yes, that's a bad thing to do.) And then the security guard of the gas station came up and drew his gun and said he needed hundreds of dollars for the repairs, right then and there. Wouldn't that be considered armed robbery? Maybe it's standard procedure in Brazil. But I do see that the swimmers might have legitimately considered themselves to have been robbed.
If that's what he originally said had happened, people would probably be more sympathetic. But here's what he actually said:
"We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over," Lochte said. "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cell phone, he left my credentials."
He claimed to have been pulled over and robbed by men posing as cops, specifically said he had done nothing wrong, lied about his wallet being taken, and even embellished it with a machismo gun-to-the-head moment. Basically, he falsified every detail to make himself look better.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

TennPaGa wrote:I agree with dualstow's description.
Yeah, me too. Thanks for posting that. What jerks all the way around.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Xan wrote:
Tyler wrote:
America! F. Yeah!

After a few wild nights in Budapest, me and some friends were on the train back to Germany when one of them got shot in the back of the head.

Or at least that's what it looked like when he projectile vomited all over the seat table and the guy sitting across from him. He must have gorged on red food coloring at the train station. Anyways, in his half-drunk, clumsy way, he tried to clean it up as half the compartment emptied out. I guess someone told the authorities, because at the next station a European Railway Pit Crew stormed the car with squeegees and mops in hand. The enforcers extorted, if I remember correctly, 200 euros for their trouble.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Xan wrote:
TennPaGa wrote:I agree with dualstow's description.
Yeah, me too. Thanks for posting that. What jerks all the way around.
Ugly American swimmers.

Those guys look like a bunch of obnoxious sneering entitled frat guys.

Phelps has the right idea with his Andy-Griffith-as-a-pot-smoking-young-man persona. People love that stuff. Lochte and his buddies? They just come across as a bunch of rich assholes.