The Olympics

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Olympics

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Take note: THIS is how you commit unsportsmanlike behavior.

Plz, I offer you my clothes?

Nope, didn't work.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:11 am

Maybe it's not so cut-and-dried after all? Apparently the "vandalism" was much less severe than reported, and the actions of the off-duty policemen who were the security guards very well might have constituted robbery:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol ... /89082232/
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:04 am

Xan wrote:Maybe it's not so cut-and-dried after all? Apparently the "vandalism" was much less severe than reported, and the actions of the off-duty policemen who were the security guards very well might have constituted robbery:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol ... /89082232/
In virtually any legal system, pulling a gun on a person and demanding money is considered robbery.

I read the story above and it sounds like it was basically a robbery. I suspect, however, that the apparent prison guards working security would probably have just said it was a standard shakedown of foreigners, and obnoxious ones at that. That's what you get when you hold first world international events in crime-plagued backwaters like Rio.

If Lochte had told the story only slightly differently to begin with, none of the bad stuff that followed would have happened. The fact that he felt the need to embellish the story to make himself sound more courageous and the danger more acute is unfortunate because apparently someone did point a gun at them, they did produce law enforcement credentials, and they did demand money. In other words, all of the important details of Lochte's story appear to have been mostly accurate. The extent of the "vandalism" was apparently knocking a poster down that was already loose.

My takeaway from the story is that Rio is the corrupt poverty-stricken shithole that I would have imagined. I have no idea what anyone was thinking in holding the Olympics there in the first place when there are so many other places around the world with better facilities, more stable governments, and more local support for international events like the Olympics.

The fact that the Brazilian government basically kidnapped the guys who weren't able to get out of the country before this story got traction and shook them down for more money before allowing them to leave is sort of pathetic. It's almost like those guys got robbed twice.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:08 pm

I love how these news stories morph as different details come to light.
It's getting very Rashomon.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:14 pm

dualstow wrote:I love how these news stories morph as different details come to light.
It's getting very Rashomon.
Yellow journalism at its finest! Long gone are the days of Kolchak: The Night Stalker.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:20 pm

Why are Hillary and Obama allowed to continuously lie ad nauseum with no consequences while Lochte's life is basically ruined by simply exagerrating an obvious robbery at gunpoint that was actually perpetrated upon him?
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Reub wrote:Why are Hillary and Obama allowed to continuously lie ad nauseum with no consequences while Lochte's life is basically ruined by simply exagerrating an obvious robbery at gunpoint that was actually perpetrated upon him?
Powerful people display their power through things like telling gratuitous lies. It's a form of peacocking (or, in the case of Hillary, you might say "peacunting").

Amateur swimmers have far less power, and thus they can't lie as freely without feeling the consequences.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:40 pm

MediumTex wrote:
Reub wrote:Why are Hillary and Obama allowed to continuously lie ad nauseum with no consequences while Lochte's life is basically ruined by simply exagerrating an obvious robbery at gunpoint that was actually perpetrated upon him?
Powerful people display their power through things like telling gratuitous lies. It's a form of peacocking (or, in the case of Hillary, you might say "peacunting").

Amateur swimmers have far less power, and thus they can't lie as freely without feeling the consequences.
Good thing I was not drinking coffee .... I would have had to purchase a new laptop. You going to get that one put in to your Funk and Wagnalls? ;D

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.