Post-Trump fate of the white working class

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post-Trump fate of the white working class

Post by WiseOne »

Nice article reminding us that the reasons for Trump's election still exist, and that sadly, they will continue to exist for the foreseeable future. I would guess that even if Trump manages to stay in office for his full term, the people who elected him will continue to get the shaft.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... ing-class/
Means-tested programs that help the poor but exclude the middle may keep costs and tax rates lower, but they are a recipe for class conflict. Example: 28.3% of poor families receive child-care subsidies, which are largely nonexistent for the middle class. So my sister-in-law worked full-time for Head Start, providing free child care for poor women while earning so little that she almost couldn’t pay for her own. She resented this, especially the fact that some of the kids’ moms did not work. One arrived late one day to pick up her child, carrying shopping bags from Macy’s. My sister-in-law was livid.
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Post-Trump fate of the white working class

Post by eufo »

The middle class is being obliterated... but that has nothing to do with elected officials. It's been a process going on for decades under both parties. It's fun to pick teams, but both teams are out to get us!
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind