vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by vnatale » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:53 am

boglerdude wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 am
Vinny lets talk about your ADHD?
I'm just about the complete opposite to this...

https://www.vyvanse.com/adhd-adult-symp ... &gclsrc=ds

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:07 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:02 pm
Xan wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:57 pm
Gary has some "interesting" libertarian positions. Like that the baker should be forced to bake the homosexual cake. Audible gasps from the audience during the LP debate when he dropped that bombshell. Don't know how he still got the nomination. Says something about how crazy the other candidates were, I suppose. John McAfee was one.
I have a question in regards to your second sentence.

I assume that the law says that this is what should happen so that there is not bias against someone due to the person's sexual orientation?

However, I as an accountant will not do work for someone or an organization whose product I find objectional and a detriment to society. There are no laws against refusing to do work for someone on that basis?

Vinny
I'm sure if the "progressives" attain more power they will pass laws making it illegal to refuse to do anything on the basis of moral objections... but only if the moral objector is a conservative. Refusing to bake a cake for a traditional wedding, for example, will not be punished.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:12 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:10 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:53 am
I have gone from wanting him to drain the swamp, to voting for him, to cringing at tweets, to yelling at the TV, and finally just wanting him to go back home and let somebody else do this job. This is a non-stop reality show nightmare.

He DID get impeached.....And, so far the Market has NOT crashed!

Vinny
That's because no one takes the impeachment seriously.
If he were actually in any danger of removal, the market would indeed crash.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:12 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:20 am
stuper1 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:11 pm
John McCain had character.
I'm curious to know what evidence you have for this statement? I can find plenty of places on the internet where people claim that McCain was a show-off pilot who never would have crashed in Vietnam if he hadn't been flying inappropriately. And that he then behaved dishonorably and disloyally in prison. That he left his first wife when he found another woman with a lot more money. That he had dishonest dealings related to the savings and loan scandal. That he was only too happy to send America to war whenever possible, thereby enriching the military-industrial complex, but causing many of our young people to come home with limbs missing or worse, not to mention far worse casualty levels among the native inhabitants. And the list goes on.

Now, I don't know whether all that stuff is true. But I also don't know whether the hagiography peddled by the mainstream media is true. I tend to think the latter is just pablum meant to keep the masses happy.
I join you in NOT being a McCain fan. Again from watching so much C-Span I saw a lot of him, including the time he'd spend mingling with voters after campaign events and hearing what he said to them. I always thought him to be Mr. Ingenuine with no principles.

Vinny
Oh, he had character all right.
The character of a criminal.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Not sure if this deserves a separate thread, but what do people think of the recent pardons/commutations?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:19 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:14 pm
Not sure if this deserves a separate thread, but what do people think of the recent pardons/commutations?
I was just posting the same in a similar thread.
I think it's bullshite.
Even the Republicans warned him that this was the kind of corruption he was going to fight, once upon a time.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:06 pm

tech (and others),

Any response to the natural ability statement? Do you think he may actually start losing his core as/if this gets out of hand?

https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/economic ... 20RgVB1XwQ
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:08 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:06 pm
tech (and others),

Any response to the natural ability statement? Do you think he may actually start losing his core as/if this gets out of hand?

https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/economic ... 20RgVB1XwQ
That article describes TDS type A and TDS type B, but I would argue there’s another option: ignore most of what a president says and judge them based on what actually does or does not get accomplished. If you generally approve, vote for them. If not, don’t. It really can be that simple.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:14 pm

I read somewhere that Trump has a 56% approval rating on his handling of the coronavirus. I don’t understand the high figure, but there it is.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:24 pm

Even Scott Adams, one of the biggest admirers of Trump in the podcasting world, is pretty unhappy about how Trump has been handling the coronavirus and the related press conferences. He was almost cursing about it on one if his most recent episodes.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:28 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:58 pm
I haven't kept up with Scott Adams in the past few days. What exactly is he unhappy about? I think Trump has been doing everything possible.
The thing I heard Scott Adams rant about was the press conference where Trump said he’d prefer everyone on the cruise ship off the coast of California to remain on the ship, because if they disembarked it would make the U.S. coronavirus stats look worse.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:18 pm

It also wasn’t too cool when he just walked off the set of the press conference when reporters were asking about the appointment of Pence as coronaczar.
(as detailed in the John Oliver clip in the youtube thread)
To Alex Azar: “It sounds like you’re being replaced.”
Azar: “No, I’m still in charge and I’m delighted—“
{Trump leaves}
— that Vice President Pence will be on board...”
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:20 pm

I wonder if he gets the mortality rate differences. And fake news dropping the market. Uh huh. Just wait till we finally start really testing. I believe the scapegoats won't work anymore.

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:50 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:28 am
Tortoise wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:28 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:58 pm
I haven't kept up with Scott Adams in the past few days. What exactly is he unhappy about? I think Trump has been doing everything possible.
The thing I heard Scott Adams rant about was the press conference where Trump said he’d prefer everyone on the cruise ship off the coast of California to remain on the ship, because if they disembarked it would make the U.S. coronavirus stats look worse.
Ok, I agree that isn't a great thing to say. But did he forbid them to enter the country? Apparently not.
So it didn't actually affect anyone other than via perception.
Yeah, I don't think it was Trump's action that bothered Adams; it was his publicly stated justification for that action. One of the things that Adams likes most about Trump is his skill in persuasion and for saying things that generally inspire confidence in his supporters (not in his detractors, obviously).

Adams is 63 years old and has a respiratory issue (asthma), so he feels particularly vulnerable to COVID-19. Because of that, he was particularly critical of Trump's faux pas regarding the people quarantined on the cruise ship. It made Trump sound more concerned with his stats than with the health of the American people, which Adams really resented. Aside from Trump, he also thinks the rest of the U.S. government generally isn't being as proactive about COVID-19 as some other governments have been. At least initially, they took more of a "move along, nothing to see here" approach rather than being conservative and trying to really get ahead of it.

Adams became similarly angry toward China when his son-in-law died from an opiate overdose. When an issue involves his health or the health of someone he's close to, Adams takes it very personally and rants passionately on his podcast.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:46 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:50 pm

Adams became similarly angry toward China when his son-in-law died from an opiate overdose. When an issue involves his health or the health of someone he's close to, Adams takes it very personally and rants passionately on his podcast.

Is this in any similar to when a politician's view on an issue "evolves" after the position they'd formerly taken now affects someone in their family in a negative way?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:06 pm

https://www.salon.com/2020/03/13/a-disa ... residency/

A disastrous week that may define — or doom — Donald Trump's presidency

A botched Oval Office speech, a Wall Street collapse — and an epidemic that has already reached the White House

Vinny
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:56 pm

I am listening to his press conf right now. I need alcohol. They all might as well be blowing him.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:01 pm

😂 It’s a better conference than the last speech, though.
Doesn’t Tony Fauci seem spry for a 79-year-old?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:56 pm
I am listening to his press conf right now. I need alcohol. They all might as well be blowing him.
Stock market seems to like it.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:04 pm

Yeah, this is a much better than the one on Wed. The one on Wed sent people into a panic, as evidenced by the market. This one helped put people at ease, also as evidenced by the market. I also do not think it was unintentional that they had this scheduled to cover the market close.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:26 pm

Hah! The timing, I hadn’t thought of that!
Ooh, OAN (news channel) asking about how some Chinese officials are suggesting that the U.S. created this virus. That really is an awful thing coming not from some guy in the wumaodang but from the Foreign Ministry!
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:28 pm

They had the Dow off to the side during the conference. Don’t know if it was real time or delayed.

Regardless, all the grade and high schools are now closed here. I heard nothing giving me any confidence. They are still talking about more testing in the future. The lady doc held up a flowchart. One side was no symptoms, no test. Not sure how that will help limit spread when if, say you’ve been around someone but aren’t showing symptoms, you can’t get a test.

The almost 100% comeback from yesterday, if based off this press conf, was unwarranted. My opinion.

And I am so damn tired about how America is the best at everything. I picture every non US person watching rolling their eyes.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Haha, I think we are lucky the market closed before the Q&A, because this has devolved into a circus show very quickly!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:44 pm

I know the people need answers, but I felt a kind of relief when journalists’ mics were cut as they tried a second aggressive question. And they were cut so promptly! O0
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:18 pm

My wife is of Chinese descent.

I am interested to know if Trump calling it the Chinese Virus is offensive to you.

If it started in Italy, or Canada, do you think he'd be calling it the Italian Virus or the Canadian Virus?

*Yes, I know there's the Spanish Flu, but that was 100 years ago.*

Italy has now surpassed China in deaths. If restaurants and areas were still open, do you think Americans would stop patronizing Little Italy's and Italian restaurants like we did Chinatowns?

*Please don't deflect and post links to stories that he wasn't the first one to call it the Chinese virus. I will grant you that. But he is continuing it.*