Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:02 am

A most Happy Eve of New Year's Eve to all the PPers. What will be the topic(s) of preference for January 2018? Politics, religion, money, taxes, Trump, medical, Xan the man, North Korea, return of the Machine Ghost and/or Pointedstick? 8)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: 2018

Post by Pointedstick » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:07 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Pointedstick?
Doubtful, I'm afraid. I've found more constructive things to do with my now very limited time than argue about things I can't change.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Doubtful, I'm afraid. I've found more constructive things to do with my now very limited time than argue about things I can't change.
Of course you are the only one who can decide how to use your time, but do you think that any of those "more constructive things" would be of interest to the group here? If so, I'm sure we would like to hear about them.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:43 pm

I'm hoping for a new and vibrant nutrition & alternative health thread, something along the lines of the Permanent Supplements thread (which has to be the best discussion ever posted to the internet), only broader. There are so many novel, scientifically-based, discoveries on the horizon, most of which won't make their way into mainstream medicine for a good long time to come, but which could be useful immediately to those who care to search out the information and do a little self-experimentation. The recently established links between the microbiome and immune system and nearly every kind of chronic, degenerative illness, comes to mind.

Also a discussion of MG's longevity "boxes." Does that ring a bell with anyone?

We've really got to get away from politics.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:42 pm

Maddy,

1. I agree that MGs boxes and the idea of looking at all the different facets of aging are something worth discussing, though I don't have the biochem/expertise to contribute that much.

I don't remember if it was one of MGs boxes, but something that does contribute to aging is minimizing blood glucose/insulin. This is what drives people including some PhD type anti aging researchers to reject the higher carb/vegan fad that has become so popular currently.

2. You want to check out the forums at Longecity.org, particularly the subforum on biosense, health and nutrition. Under that there are areas for nutrition, supplements, teleomeres, etc. NB: it is a VERY mixed bag ranging from high level biochemistry discussions to what seems to be 3rd graders posting silliness (sometimes in the same thread). There is interesting info on gut flora and diet/supps you'd like.

One of the moderators Michael has posts that are worth paying attention to (caveat: he is a calorie restriction fan). His approach to supps is very much the anti-MG point of view but worth reading (if nothing else so you have another, more conservative point of view).

There are also discussions of bleeding edge health/anti aging therapies a number of people there have worked with e.g. low dose rapamycin, BPC 157, epitalon, etc.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:55 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:
Of course you are the only one who can decide how to use your time, but do you think that any of those "more constructive things" would be of interest to the group here? If so, I'm sure we would like to hear about them.

+1! Not every discussion needs to be an argument. And PS has a cool and interesting life worthy of discussion. :)

Built any houses lately?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Benko wrote: You want to check out the forums at Longecity.org, particularly the subforum on biosense, health and nutrition.
Benko, thank you very much for that link! I'm not familiar with that forum but will happily spend some time this weekend looking at it. Are you a regular participant?

MG didn't seem much interested in pursuing the anti-aging box thing, as he took his latest sabatical from the forum shortly after the last mention. It would be great if he'd spearhead the discussion. It's a most fascinating topic.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:22 pm

Maddy,

I follow the longecity board and post when I can be helpful.

Here is the link to Michael's regimen with reasons for what he takes.:
http://www.longecity.org/forum/stacks/s ... upplement/

He designed some of the supplements by AOR brand (while back) and is well known in the calorie restriction circles. HIs approach is conservative and worth reading.

A few other people worth checking out:

Rhonda Patrick: PhD type who keeps abreast and posts videos of her own info and interviews with researchers on current hot topics such as intermittent fasting, etc. I support her on Patreon and she has monthly Q and A sessions for supporters.

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/

Alan Green MD. He takes and prescribes an anti-aging regimen including low dose rapamycin. NOT suggesting you take it but his web site: https://www.rapamycintherapy.com/ is worth reading because of the info including the multifaceted approach (with research studies) to aging that he and others use:

mTor: rapamycin
Glucose intolerance/insulin sensitivity: metformin
Angiotensin II disruption
he also recommends asprin and statins

Peter Attia, MD:
http://eatingacademy.com/
VEry worth reading.

Miittledorf:
http://agingadvice.org/
https://joshmitteldorf.scienceblog.com/
worth reading though he gets some things wrong (readers often correct him in the comments sections)

Metformin is a common component of anti-aging regimens. Other possible "alternatives" are berberine, and gynostemma (which I've been taking). Comparison and discussion here:

https://joshmitteldorf.scienceblog.com/ ... metformin/

Veganism is literally trendy thanks to Dr. Gregor (How not to die). I don't think veganism is the answer (for everyone) but have gotten a lot of useful info from him.

https://nutritionfacts.org

I think he has the right idea in regularly eating groups of healthy foods (legumes, cruciferous, berries, etc):

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dr-gre ... checklist/

He reviews literature studies and sends out links to 3-5 min videos on a wide range of topics.

A wild card:
https://selfhacked.com/
Lots of info with links to research studies so you can check what he states. Verify anything you read here before implementing it.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:57 am

Thanks, Benko. I needed some new reading material for those (increasingly common) nights when I just can't sleep. I perused the Longecity board a bit last night. Pretty abbreviated, high-level discussion for somebody like me, who washed out halfway through o-chem. Also a fairly extreme bent, I thought; a lot of the discussion went well beyond the subject of health optimization and the compression of moribidity in its seeming quest for actual, physical immortality. Maybe I'm just to small a thinker to get with that program. The additional links will be helpful.

I noticed an epigenetics sub-forum. Epigenetics would make an interesting topic for discussion here.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:43 am

I wouldn't mind seeing "Other Discussions" broken up into subcategories:

Personal Finance

Politics and Government

Lifehacking

Health-related topics

Other Discussions NOS

The new tax bill will provide lots of fodder for personal finance threads, for example. I'm surprised there has been almost no mention of it here. How to deal with self employment income, for example, is going to get very interesting.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:19 pm

Mountaineer wrote:A most Happy Eve of New Year's Eve to all the PPers. What will be the topic(s) of preference for January 2018? Politics, religion, money, taxes, Trump, medical, Xan the man, North Korea, return of the Machine Ghost and/or Pointedstick? 8)
If you are asking for predictions then I think I would have to say the topics will go the way they seem to be going of late - focusing entirely on discussions of investing and avoiding more controversial topics. In other words, an even more boring version of Bogleheads with a narrower focus.

If you are asking about what I would like to see, I would like to see Mountaineer make more posts about his religious beliefs, making bold assertions about things he can't possibly prove to be true. I enjoy shooting those things down. Keeps my mind sharp in my old age.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:38 pm

Good idea, WiseOne. . . but what on earth is "Life Hacking?" (I suspect I'm giving away my age.)
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:41 pm

Maddy wrote:Good idea, WiseOne. . . but what on earth is "Life Hacking?" (I suspect I'm giving away my age.)
WiseOne can answer, but I think mostly little things, or at least things you never thought about, that can make life simpler.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:15 pm

There are lots of threads here on the general theme of how to do things creatively for cheaper/easier/etc. Like the wonderful threads on recipes, home building etc. Not so many of late though. Probably not a particularly useful category.

And Mountaineer I forgot: religion needs a category too!
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:19 pm

Maddy wrote:
Benko wrote: You want to check out the forums at Longecity.org, particularly the subforum on biosense, health and nutrition.
Benko, thank you very much for that link! I'm not familiar with that forum but will happily spend some time this weekend looking at it. Are you a regular participant?

MG didn't seem much interested in pursuing the anti-aging box thing, as he took his latest sabatical from the forum shortly after the last mention. It would be great if he'd spearhead the discussion. It's a most fascinating topic.
MG left right after Reub was banned as I recall.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:33 pm

while it sounds great to create a well defined group of sub categories, the unfortunate forum reality is that it tends to lead to a lot of "you posted this in the wrong place derails" and a lot of make work for moderators moving things into the "right" category which in a (smart) forum such as this is a virtual impossibility due to the naturally interrelated and free flowing nature of our discussions..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence