Podcasts

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Podcasts

Post by Tortoise » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:17 pm

I guess the Rogan podcast videos are now sort of like the old Harry Browne radio shows: A few people out there probably have copies of them, but finding and accessing them won't be easy.

Anything online that's worth keeping now has to be manually archived by multiple individuals to prevent its eventual inevitable disappearance.

I remember listening to the Rogan podcast back when it first started over 10 years ago. The first several episodes basically consisted of Rogan and his producer Brian Redban goofing around as they figured out how the microphones and other equipment worked. Lots of dead air, and the sound quality was horrible. But it was a totally new thing -- one of the very first podcasts by a comedian -- so I loved listening to it.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Oh yea, he got so much better at it. I just finished his one with Glenn Greenwald today, and it was fantastic. He got into a bit about how he changed, where at the beginning he was just a dick to anyone he didn't agree with, constantly "fact checking" them and whatever, but then he just started talking with people and it worked better.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:51 pm

Damn. Looks like the Rogan podcast has been mostly taken off of Apple podcasts, too. I only see one episode (#1571 - Emily Harrington).
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:57 pm

Lex Fridman is an AI researcher out of MIT. He's got some interesting podcasts and videos up on youtube.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:24 pm

I like Lex Fridman but I personally find his podcasts to be soooooooo boring. What Fridman really did for me was demonstrate how difficult it is to be an entertaining podcast host, and it made me respect Joe Rogan that much more.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:35 pm

Well, I'll listen to a non-entertaining presentation style if it's something interesting. I mean, I thought 1066: The Year That Changed Everything from The Great Courses was awesome and it is not anywhere in Rogan's orbit. The motherfucker is a standup comic and bloodsport announcer.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:24 am

0063. Biblical Archeology’s Top Discoveries of 2020 – Dr. Craig Evans, 1/6/21
Dr. Craig Evans of Houston Baptist University

This is an interesting discussion of archeology finds and verification of Bible descriptions of places and kings going back centuries before the time of Jesus.

https://issuesetc.org/2021/01/06/0063-b ... ns-1-6-21/
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:42 pm

The latest episode of "Real Talk with Zuby" is titled "Would Anarchism Work?" I haven't heard it yet, but Zuby is usually solid for some good conversation with an interesting guest.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed May 12, 2021 5:14 pm

Timcast with Dave Smith is one of the best podcasts I've heard in a while. Talked a lot about lockdowns, unemployment payments/UBI (and later, the relationship between AI and UBI, which I agree with), Antifa, our shitty justice system (Dave talking about "anarcho-tyranny" at various points is one of the better parts). At 1:51:46 Dave mentions Harry Brown :)

I like this Dave Smith dude.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sat May 15, 2021 8:29 pm

"The best investors keep it simple, and the best way to keep it simple is to ‘play dead’, according to investment expert Ramin Nakisa, who shares incredible insights in this episode."

https://bushymartin.com.au/165-ramin-nakisa/
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun May 16, 2021 10:29 am

Hal wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:29 pm
"The best investors keep it simple, and the best way to keep it simple is to ‘play dead’, according to investment expert Ramin Nakisa, who shares incredible insights in this episode."

I don't have 2 hours to spend listening to that podcast (well, actually I do but I'd rather not). So would you mind summarizing what he means by "playing dead'?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sun May 16, 2021 5:06 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:29 am
Hal wrote:

I don't have 2 hours to spend listening to that podcast (well, actually I do but I'd rather not). So would you mind summarizing what he means by "playing dead'?
Don't actively trade - just set and forget. He mentioned an example being the "All Weather Portfolio".
Also interesting insights into how investment banking works, but not much use to a peasant like me ;)
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun May 16, 2021 5:07 pm

Hal wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:06 pm
pp4me wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:29 am
Hal wrote:

Don't actively trade - just set and forget. He mentioned an example being the "All Weather Portfolio".
Also interesting insights into how investment banking works, but not much use to a peasant like me ;)
Thanks. I guess I've been playing dead for a long time.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed May 26, 2021 5:57 pm

Timcast has moda's man-crush, Scott Horton, on. He sounds different from the other times I've heard him talk, like... less high maybe ;D
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed May 26, 2021 6:09 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:38 am
moda0306 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:54 pm
But as far as history podcasts go, Darryl Cooper's "Martyrmade Podcast" multi-parter on the Israel/Palestine conflict (called "Fear and Loathing in New Jarusalem) is possibly the best History Podcast I've ever heard. I felt like I had my soul hollowed out after that one. His episode on the Mai Lai Massacre is haunting as well. Don't expect to feel good after these, but they are engrossing.
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:28 pm
Jocko Podcast is really good.

Interestingly, he mentioned Martyrmade as one of his recommended podcasts. I don't think I've heard of anyone outside of this thread mention it.
Jocko and Echo interviewed Darryl Cooper on their latest Jocko Podcast. Haven't listened to it yet.
Jocko and Darryl's Unravelling podcasts, episodes 10 & 11 are fantastic. Recommended.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu May 27, 2021 1:07 pm

The latest episode of "Real Talk with Zuby" has an interview with Dave Smith. Real good stuff.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:56 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:24 pm
I like Lex Fridman but I personally find his podcasts to be soooooooo boring. What Fridman really did for me was demonstrate how difficult it is to be an entertaining podcast host, and it made me respect Joe Rogan that much more.
Lex's interview with GSP was great. He was at the top of UFC when I started watching it back in the day, and featured prominently in the "Best Of UFC" DVDs we watched a lot in Afghanistan.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:09 pm

Here's another one I like, Animal Spirits by Ben Carlson and Michael Batnick. They riff about financial stuff mostly. Carlson just shouted out Tyler's newest article on his blog.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:00 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:09 pm
Here's another one I like, Animal Spirits by Ben Carlson and Michael Batnick. They riff about financial stuff mostly. Carlson just shouted out Tyler's newest article on his blog.
Thanks for the pointer Kriegs. And thank you Tyler for a great writeup. I can honestly say that no one else has freely contributed as much outstanding financial advice as Tyler. Not many people in the world like that. Humbling.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:10 am

Amen Mark. That Tyler guy is a good dude.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:12 pm

I appreciate the kind words. Forums like this one taught me a lot over the years, and I'm always happy to give back.

BTW, if you like Animal Spirits, be sure to also check out the wider Ritholtz team discussions on The Compound.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:00 am

Here's another one, lots of talk about global economics, gold, bitcoin, culture, government fuckery/anti-globalist: Gold, Goats, & Guns. His ones with Dexter White are interesting (and funny).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:06 pm

did anyone else catch the Making Sense podcast, Nicolas Christakis episode? EDIT: Nicholas.
It’s chock full of intelligent thinking on covid. I think it would easily click with members like Cortpassi, but I wish Murphy would give it a listen, most of all. Murphy and, if you’re out there, SomeDude and Tom.

It’s kind of long. Usually the Sam Harris podcasts get cut off if you don’t have membership but in this case the full episode is free.

here
or

Code: Select all

https://www.samharris.org/podcasts/making-sense-episodes/270-what-have-we-learned-from-the-pandemic
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:37 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:06 pm
did anyone else catch the Making Sense podcast, Nicolas Christakis episode?
It’s chock full of intelligent thinking on covid. I think it would easily click with members like Cortpassi, but I wish Murphy would give it a listen, most of all. Murphy and, if you’re out there, SomeDude and Tom.

It’s kind of long. Usually the Sam Harris podcasts get cut off if you don’t have membership but in this case the full episode is free.

here
or

Code: Select all

https://www.samharris.org/podcasts/making-sense-episodes/270-what-have-we-learned-from-the-pandemic
i doubt somedude and tom would be bothered to form an opinion on something that has been recommended here.... especially since being banned means their opinion is not welcome...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:29 am

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:38 pm
Could you do a tl;dr executive summary please?
Not only would that be way too much work, pug, to do it properly, but it is best heard in Christakis’ voice. And it’s so full of good lines, I believe a summary would spoil it. A partial listen, though, is better than no listen at all (and better than a summary).
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years