No where to hide

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: No where to hide

Post by buddtholomew » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:29 pm

In your eyes, the PP can do no wrong. Why don't you admit that it is not working as expected. Down 2/4 years or 50% of the time I have been invested.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:51 pm

buddtholomew wrote: In your eyes, the PP can do no wrong. Why don't you admit that it is not working as expected. Down 2/4 years or 50% of the time I have been invested.
  i think i read somewhere in the small print that two year down turns, and occasionally consecutive ones were a part of the PP performance range.. 

anyway.. everything that has happened since i have owned a pp has been well within what i expected.. 
i think i am beginning to understand your frustration with it though, if i were in your situation i guess i would be too
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:24 pm

while the pp cuts volatility there is no guarantee you will be up .  there is no question it did its thing . looking at my hypothetical pp I still track I see it down 44k.    that is 1/2 my model; . but my model is recovering at a faster rate being only down 60k from the  near 90k at the lows .

the pp was only down 34k at the lows but is taking its lumps now but still not as bad .

if it is lower volatility you want you got exactly what you paid for
Last edited by mathjak107 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:20 pm

We know we cannot predict the markets, but one thing is easily predictable: the pp will lose some investors until it goes up again. When it goes up, it will attract new investors, and perhaps some repentants.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:03 pm

Wasn't it nice when we had the two people who started this website always posting on here (and on the Bogleheads site beforehand) and they were always promoting, explaining and defending the PP? Why did they stop? I miss that!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:29 am

Reub wrote: Wasn't it nice when we had the two people who started this website always posting on here (and on the Bogleheads site beforehand) and they were always promoting, explaining and defending the PP? Why did they stop? I miss that!
I think it was Bob Dylan who said, I don't need to refute every allegation about me. I think it's enough that there is always *someone* on this forum at any given time who is willing to reiterate the principles. I mean, it's got to get boring after a while for the same person to have to keep doing it. The book is out there. The forum is out there. Why not just reread what they already wrote if it hasn't changed?

You make it sound like they started a scam and then ran off with ill-gotten gains.

I always wonder how 90-year-old Taylor Larimore keeps it up at Bogleheads.
Last edited by dualstow on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
LC475
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LC475 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:33 pm

buddtholomew wrote: In your eyes, the PP can do no wrong. Why don't you admit that it is not working as expected?
That one's easy: because it is working as I expected!

What more could I ask?
PP67
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by PP67 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:48 pm

I may be a little too simple-minded on this but if I post the Peak-to-Trough results of a HBPP allocation for the time I've been using it and post the resulting CAGR on Tyler's terrific PP real returns over time plot and it is within the bands shown for that time period, I conclude that there is nothing really wrong with how the PP is performing up to this point...  I may be currently below the median point but I am above the low point...  I may have been hoping for the median return but I shouldn't complain if I am somewhere along that vertical range of outcomes...

http://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/pe ... portfolio/
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:56 pm

dualstow wrote:
Reub wrote: Wasn't it nice when we had the two people who started this website always posting on here (and on the Bogleheads site beforehand) and they were always promoting, explaining and defending the PP? Why did they stop? I miss that!
I think it was Bob Dylan who said, I don't need to refute every allegation about me. I think it's enough that there is always *someone* on this forum at any given time who is willing to reiterate the principles. I mean, it's got to get boring after a while for the same person to have to keep doing it. The book is out there. The forum is out there. Why not just reread what they already wrote if it hasn't changed?

You make it sound like they started a scam and then ran off with ill-gotten gains.

I always wonder how 90-year-old Taylor Larimore keeps it up at Bogleheads.
Where did I say that they started a scam? I just wonder how they could be so into the PP to engage in vehement post after post on the BH site, then start this site, write a book about it, and then pretty much disappear for long periods of time. It doesn't take a lot of effort to write an occasional post or two on a semi-regular basis as most of my posts prove.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:22 pm

Reub wrote: Where did I say that they started a scam? I just wonder how they could be so into the PP to engage in vehement post after post on the BH site, then start this site, write a book about it, and then pretty much disappear for long periods of time. It doesn't take a lot of effort to write an occasional post or two on a semi-regular basis as most of my posts prove.
You never did, explicitly. But, since this is not the first time you've asked, in essence, "Where are they now", I get the feeling that some people feel they were just out to sell books -- in fact, didn't this come up once? -- and I seriously doubt they made a ton of money off of those book sales. If you don't feel that it's a scam, I'm happy. But, once we know how the pp works, how much handholding do we really need? And does it have to be from those two?
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Yeah, where are those guys?

I heard that one of them ran off to Japan for awhile.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:56 pm

Brazil with the book money ...
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:02 pm

mathjak107 wrote: Brazil with the book money ...
Probably so.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Currently "washing" the money through a carpet vacuuming business, as the authorities have really clamped down on car washes since Breaking Bad was broadcast.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:29 am

It's good to see I've flushed one of them out! At least for one day.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:12 am

Reub wrote: It's good to see I've flushed one of them out! At least for one day.
Here is my answer to that.

Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Wonder if John Travolta was talking to this guy?
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:23 pm

MediumTex wrote: Yeah, where are those guys?

I'm sorry but my satellite comms on my globetrotting yacht was down for a few days so I couldn't post.

But you know the best thing about writing a book on a niche investing strategy is? The free bar of gold we receive each month for our efforts. Not to mention the extensive fees we receive for each post we make on an internet forum. The profits vs. time expended has been phenomenal. Frankly, I have had a hell of a hard time spending all the money on just strippers. I need to find either a good healthy drug addiction to blow all the royalties, or more expensive strippers.
Last edited by craigr on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:03 pm

You need a snortfolio.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:24 pm

craigr wrote:

I'm sorry but my satellite comms on my globetrotting yacht was down for a few days so I couldn't post.
Whoa dude, you only have one yacht?

I bought a yacht for every member of my family.  I named them the Nina, the Pinta, the Santa Maria, the Palais Aqua, and the J-Law PP Pimp Pod.

I'm like L. Ron Hubbard sans the 501(c) tax exempt status.

And the groupies...don't even get me started.  I'm thinking about buying another yacht just for them.  I'm going to call it "Browne Skeazin".
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:40 am

MediumTex wrote:
craigr wrote:

Whoa dude, you only have one yacht?

I bought a yacht for every member of my family.  I named them the Nina, the Pinta, the Santa Maria, the Palais Aqua, and the J-Law PP Pimp Pod.

I'm like L. Ron Hubbard sans the 501(c) tax exempt status.

And the groupies...don't even get me started.  I'm thinking about buying another yacht just for them.  I'm going to call it "Browne Skeazin".
Look! They're alive!!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:56 am

Desert wrote: The hedonistic excesses that Craig and MT are wallowing in will one day end ... but meanwhile, I will sit in this rocking chair, rocking back and forth, cursing their names.
Didn't Harry Browne's radio ad used to say,
You can curse me online, or print out your curse and invoke it in your easy chair.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:20 pm

mathjak107 wrote: they may end up severely under funded  for that luxury and that is the danger.
There is no alternative.  Load up on obscenely overvalued stocks?  Load up on longest duration T-Bonds while they're at a 5,000 year low in interest rates, soon to reverse course starting in the next few days?  Load up on a useless, barbarous lump of shiny metal that is no longer money, never will be again and will only have demand in that short period of time where confidence in government and the financial system has been lost but is still standing like a mirage?

Seriously man, you better plan for a SWR way below what you expect historically because neither stocks nor bonds are going to offer that for the next 17 years.  Again, what is the alternative?
Last edited by MachineGhost on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:32 pm

unconventional times may call for unconventional investing and i think integrated strategy's  using spia's and perhaps life insurance with your own ivesting may be the new answer for the new times for retirees  .

dead body's are a lot more predictable then markets and rates .

research is showing very good results with integrated  strategy's 
Last edited by mathjak107 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:41 pm

They jinxed it by releasing a book!  Just as I feared at the time.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!