Stocks: fighting the pull of recency/past performance

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Stocks: fighting the pull of recency/past performance

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:34 pm

I'm looking at YTD, 10-year, and everything in between at Vanguard.
I see that over most periods, my mid-cap and small-cap index funds handily beat both my overall performance and the individual stock portfolio my father trades. Did it beat the pp over these periods? I don't know, and I've only had the pp since maybe 2010.

Doesn't matter anyway.

Still, on some days I'm just tempted to throw everything into mid-cap, contribute a few hundred $ each month, hold a small % in cash, and not look for 20 years.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 20 years
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Stocks: fighting the pull of recency/past performance

Post by ochotona » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:20 pm

You could just take your stock allocations, divvy it up four ways (small, mid, large, and non-US) and rebalance it once a year. That's pretty simple and easy and not much to worry over.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:20 pm

Yep. I don't own ex-US which makes simpler still.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:12 am

The leadership rotates. At some point, ex-US stocks will be the hot ones. Not for a while.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:07 am

Thanks to the portfoliocharts thread I'm back on track.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:26 am

Merriman Ultimate looks good
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:50 am

ochotona wrote: Merriman Ultimate looks good
It seems like just a few years ago, Vanguard required a lot more money in a fund for it to qualify for Admiral status. Now, it's just $10,000 for a lot of stock funds instead of, what, $50,000? That's important to me because of the better expense ratio in Admiral shares. I'd rather not slice and dice at all if I'm going to have to pay a lot more in expenses (%wise, even if that turns out to not look significant in $ amounts in the early days).

And, I wouldn't want to see my shares dip back into Investor status every time there's a big downturn.

Now, it's a lot easier to slice and dice.
Still, with all that slicing and dicing, Merriman still has a pretty nasty-looking worst drawdown, more than 1/5.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Looking at these great charts, can someone make a good case for the PP vs. The Golden Butterfly Portfolio?
fi50@fi2023
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by fi50@fi2023 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:42 pm

I use Merriman ultimate for my stock allocation, although I constantly argue with my company's 401k advisor about it.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Reub wrote: Looking at these great charts, can someone make a good case for the PP vs. The Golden Butterfly Portfolio?
The GB is a really good one, that's for sure.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:01 pm

I'm curious how the GB measures up to Merriman?

Also I'd be a little cautious about any stock heavy portfolio right now with the way that the market is behaving. Even these.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:55 am

Reub wrote: I'm curious how the GB measures up to Merriman?

Also I'd be a little cautious about any stock heavy portfolio right now with the way that the market is behaving. Even these.
Only here is 40% stocks considered stock heavy.... :) 

As for comparison with Merriman, if want to put in all the details, can use the envy chart.... Merriman 60/40, I think. So, 50% more stock, 100% less gold than Golden butterfly 20%; has lots on Int'l.

Would love to see the TrevH version of Merriman on the charts --- instead of 8(?) slices, just four equal parts equity:
* Large Balanced
* Int'l Large Value
* Small Cap Value
* Int'l Small Cap
Fred
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Fred » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:10 am

Reub wrote: Looking at these great charts, can someone make a good case for the PP vs. The Golden Butterfly Portfolio?
I asked the same question in the general discussion forum and didn't hear any good case against the GB. When I recently hit a re-balance point with gold < 15% I felt more comfortable bringing it back to 20% than 25% so I decided to go with the GB for now.

One thing I like about this portfolio is that I think it's a little easier to handle when you're still working and contributing to a 401k as most of these plans are heavy on stocks. When I retire and have complete control in an IRA I may work back into the PP.

And like I said in the other discussion, if it makes you feel disloyal to the HB philosophy you can always tell yourself that half of your stock allocation is your VP and that problem is solved.

One thing that wasn't so easy was trying to split the stock allocation into a 50-50 Large Blend, Small Value combo within a 401k. Adds another level of complexity to it. My wife's 401k actually offered those exact options with Vanguard funds but mine didn't so I just had to make the best of it. Looking at the charts, I wonder how much it actually matters.

Also, I wonder what would be the re-balancing bands are with this portfolio.
fi50@fi2023
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by fi50@fi2023 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Technically the Merriman portfolio is all stocks, with the investor to choose how much bond exposure to add based upon risk tolerance.

He does have an article that suggests a smaller portfolio 4 fund and U.S. Only. I use his Vanguard taxable recommendation for my 25% stock allocation.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:52 pm

Fred wrote:
..... <snip>......
One thing that wasn't so easy was trying to split the stock allocation into a 50-50 Large Blend, Small Value combo within a 401k. Adds another level of complexity to it. My wife's 401k actually offered those exact options with Vanguard funds but mine didn't so I just had to make the best of it. Looking at the charts, I wonder how much it actually matters.

Also, I wonder what would be the re-balancing bands are with this portfolio.
In the long run there is expected size and value premium, so only get part of it. Long run might be very long, and expected <> guaranteed. Aka, seems fine to me. Can check it out at portfolio harts yourself....

If start with the PP 40% rebalance bands.