Foreign Markets Take A Pounding

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Foreign Markets Take A Pounding

Post by barrett » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:59 am

Hmm. Stocks got whacked in Asia and are taking a pounding in Europe with the DAX off nearly 4.5% as I write this. Apparently China came out with weak economic data. Oil is up on Saudi/Iran diplomatic split. Could be a good day not to have a concentrated bet in one asset.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Foreign Markets Take A Pounding

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:07 am

I am glad right now that I slept on increasing stock exposure.  I still have yet to do it.

Glad to have gold, and probably bonds right now.  When the PP works, it does feel good, and like you are in on some secret.
Test of the signature line
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:51 pm

Get at least my one day of desired tracking error this year....

Even with 40-ish percent in stocks having 50-ish percent in gold/LTT/"cash" (short-term bond) helps on days like this.

Which in the scheme of things, isn't that big a change by itself.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:59 am

Same situation today... Shanghai down another 7% and The Nikkei & DAX get whacked. So far this week the US markets are experiencing lower losses that their overseas counterparts, but it's not been a good week for equities worldwide.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:39 am

Oil to 32.xx, gold over 1100 again at least for now.  I would guess TLT will be doing well too.  Looks like a positive day in store for the PP.

The past two days I have struggled with wanting to start getting my toes into int'l and small cap value.  Each day here has brought better value.  I may finally go in a little today, even assuming we have further to fall.
Test of the signature line
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:23 am

Cortopassi wrote: Oil to 32.xx, gold over 1100 again at least for now.  I would guess TLT will be doing well too.  Looks like a positive day in store for the PP.

The past two days I have struggled with wanting to start getting my toes into int'l and small cap value.  Each day here has brought better value.  I may finally go in a little today, even assuming we have further to fall.
I bought some more stocks with my regular monthly contribution today. Feels good to buy at some lower prices.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Shanghai opened sharply lower this evening in the US. Tuesday on the US exchanges is going to be very, very busy. Don't put in an order for immediate execution on Tuesday morning; prices might gap sharply before your order gets filled. Place orders by hand.