Tax implications of reinvesting dividends

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tax implications of reinvesting dividends

Post by sophie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:21 am

I have a tax question for the well-informed folks on the board: what are the implications of reinvesting dividends in a taxable account on later sales of shares?

Specifically: let's say you buy 100 shares of a stock, and get a 1 share dividend per quarter. You pay tax on that dividend, but have it reinvested automatically. 5 years later, you now own 120 shares of the stock and decide to sell. Your cost basis should be what you paid for the original 100 shares PLUS the value of the 20 shares you got via reinvested dividends, at the time of each dividend. Correct?

Unfortunately, when I look at purchase lots as Fidelity reports it on the website, I see the original purchase with the original cost basis, and each dividend reinvestment listed with the number of shares (generally a fraction) and a cost basis of zero. In other words, I would expect that when I go to sell the investment, Fidelity would only take into account the original purchase when calculating cost basis.

I see two possibilities:
1. At the time of sale, Fidelity automatically adds in the amount of dividends already reported as income when calculating cost basis, in which case there's nothing to worry about. Unfortunately, this is not mentioned anywhere on Fidelity's website, so I don't know if they actually do this.

2. The cost basis as displayed is what gets reported to the IRS. This means that I am effectively double-taxed on dividends: once at the time of the dividend, and again as a capital gain when I go to sell. To correct this, I would have to laboriously hand-calculate dividend basis and then hand-edit cost basis on the tax return, which may not be possible with a program like Turbotax with auto-import of broker statements. It would also create a conflict with the statements received by the IRS, and presumably that could trigger a tax letter or audit.

I've always taken dividends in cash to avoid this issue, but now I've got a couple of individual stocks in taxable and would like to take advantage of free dividend reinvesting - tax situation permitting. If I'm right about #2 being what actually happens, that is a major caution against dividend reinvesting in a taxable account.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Tax implications of reinvesting dividends

Post by Dieter » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:06 pm

I think broker now required to track cost basis.

Taxed once in the dividend.

If you get a $10 div (and purchase one share worth $10), you get taxed on that $10 as dividend.

Sell that share for $11, and get taxed on the $1 gain (long or short depending on how long you keep it), but not the $10 basis.

(Exceptions in some cases, such as death)

I am not a tax professional, just a random person on the internet.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:18 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:40 pm
Pretty sure with mutual funds at Vg and Fido you are getting average cost basis when you sell, and dividends that you've already paid taxes on figure into the basis. They do all the math and report at year end.
Have option for average or lot identification.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:10 pm

When I sold the utility stocks with the dividend reinvesting my father gave me, I went back 16 years with the quarterly statement and determined the cost bases for EACH quarterly event. That task was laborious but I did it to the penny for 6 different stocks. It was actually a bit fun to use my accounting degree, for a change. I determined the cost for each dividend to the 4 decimal places provided and then matched that with the selling price. The Long-term vs. the short-term gains were then determined.

I put it all on a pretty 2-page schedule attached it to Schedule D and the IRS was happy or impressed or both- I didn't hear from them at all.

I prepared the same format for a ute merger and again for a National grid purchase of Keyspan: NG just bought me out and said "go away." Same schedules, same result: the IRS liked it. Alas, no birthday or Christmas card from them. I actually get along well with them, having prepared the returns for my father's estate: many phone calls and questions. (Apparently, it is desirable to have the 1040 match nicely with the 1041). I always compliment and thank the agents at the other end of the phone. Am I the only one with a positive relationship with the IRS? I hope not.

As a wrap, my sister's father-in-law, a CPA/attorney, who does her joint family return thanked me for the detailed schedules I sent Sister for the above mentioned merger and the National Grid acquisition. Does that legitimize my approach?

Sophie, I hope this helps and you may be able to contact shareholder services for missing info. i have gotten help this way.

I may never do reinvesting of dividends again.
Last edited by bedraggled on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:31 am

Thanks bedraggled! I think that answers my question. It is Scenario #2, and you WILL be double taxed on the dividends unless you track them and provide the records to the IRS when you go to sell.

That's a headache I think I'd rather not deal with, and I bet the federal government is scoring big time on the fact that few people are likely to do what bedraggled did - instead they'll just pay the extra tax. As I'm pretty sure I've done unwittingly several times in the past.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:33 am

Where available, I try to stick with two options: average cost per share when I accumulate fund shares, and first-in-first-out (FIFO) when I sell shares of funds and individual stocks. (Note: there are at least a few voices at bogleheads arguing for selling specific lots and not selecting average cost per share. I have already switched to avg, and probably cannot easily go back).

At Fido, I only have a solo 401(k), so I thought that was the reason they didn't update the cost with reinvested dividends. Right up until your post, Sophie. I figure everything will have to be sorted out by the timeI have to start taking distributions.

At Vanguard, I used to check my cost basis vs what they supply at Vanguard and now I have an accountant do it. Sometimes it got complicated, like when Altria spun off Philip Morris International and Kraft (separately). I would go to the official site, download a PDF on how to recalculate the cost basis, and submit it to my accountant. No idea if I did it right.

I stopped reinvesting dividends in taxable, for the post part. With some holdings I will probably sell all the shares at once and buy something similar to clear out all the history of reinvested dividends. For most holdings, I plan to just die and let my wife or other heir enjoy the stepped up cost basis.

One of these days I'll write to Fidelity and ask why they don't update.
RIP Marcello Gandini
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:59 am

Sophie,

Your post got me curious. The tax basis for all of my Fido accounts (taxable, tax-deferred & Roth) was funky so I gave them a call just now. Premium Services phone # is 800-544-4442.

I was able to get the reinvested dividends in my taxable account to read correctly (I was told that the default is to "average cost basis"). The rep I spoke with was able to talk me through that on the phone.

They will fix the funkiness on my Roth and tax-deferred accounts within the next 24 hours so that by this time tomorrow everything should show up correctly.

I only hold their S&P 500 fund (FUSVX) in all three accounts, but I would think they could help you to see everything correctly for reinvested dividends from individual stocks as well.

Hope that helps!
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:33 am

This brings up a related question from me. I have changed brokers a number of times, and lost a Quicken file along the way, so from when I started buying into the PP in 2014 to about one year ago, I have no real history I can track of when shares were bought and at what price. I used to be fastidious when I did a lot of trading, but now when it only happens once a year or less, I have not.

I assume/hope there's some reasonable method in 10-15 years when I start taking money out of calculating an estimated initial cost that isn't $0.00?
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:33 am
This brings up a related question from me. I have changed brokers a number of times, and lost a Quicken file along the way, so from when I started buying into the PP in 2014 to about one year ago, I have no real history I can track of when shares were bought and at what price. I used to be fastidious when I did a lot of trading, but now when it only happens once a year or less, I have not.

I assume/hope there's some reasonable method in 10-15 years when I start taking money out of calculating an estimated initial cost that isn't $0.00?
Cortopassi, are you saying that the period you don't have cost basis for is from roughly 2014 until 2017? That seems to be the way your post reads but it would seem like the older transactions would be the ones you'd be less likely to have correct numbers on.

For recent transactions, everything should be available on your brokerage website.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:39 am

Have you gone online to check if your brokerage has the info?

It's old, but:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/16/your ... ments.html

"
The new reporting rules, signed into law as part of the big bailout legislation in 2008, are being phased in over a few years and don’t necessarily apply to all of your taxable holdings: banks and brokers were required to begin tracking and reporting the cost basis of stocks in taxable accounts bought in 2011 or later. Mutual funds, dividend-reinvestment plans and certain exchange-traded funds purchased beginning in 2012 are subject to the new rules.
"
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:44 am

barrett wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:33 am

Cortopassi, are you saying that the period you don't have cost basis for is from roughly 2014 until 2017? That seems to be the way your post reads but it would seem like the older transactions would be the ones you'd be less likely to have correct numbers on.

For recent transactions, everything should be available on your brokerage website.
Interactive Brokers trade data only seems to go back 3 years, so I am missing my initial buys into all the funds, GLD, VTI, TLT, etc. I know when I opened the trades, so I can get a price to within about 1-2 months, good enough for the IRS?

But really, my bigger, lazy question is, I assume I will be continuing to buy for the next 10-15 years. Then when I go into sell mode, I *should* have most data, but what if I am just lazy, or didn't keep good records, or whatever else caused the loss of my transaction history? What is acceptable at that point for the IRS? Close guesses? An average of the fund's price from 2014-20xx as the basis? Something else?

I have literally last week changed brokers from IB to Ally, just to simplify my life. I assume in the transfer of assets, Ally does not get historical trade data from IB. Looks like I should download as much historical trade info from IB as I can.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:15 am

From Bogleheads, seems reasonable. There's more out thee about this than I gave consideration to.

barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:15 am
From Bogleheads, seems reasonable. There's more out thee about this than I gave consideration to.

I had to do something similar to the "Boglehead solution" years ago when a little bit of Sears stock that I inherited from my mom split into three different companies and I had no clue what her cost basis was (pretty sure the shares actually were handed down from my grandmother!). At the time a Fidelity rep helped me come up with some kind of reasonable guesstimate... but I don't think he was actually taking into account that the shares might have been from the 1950s!

This would seem to be one of those areas where the agency just doesn't have the resources to really counter your numbers. But, yeah, download as much of the cost info as you can, unless you want to play a game of "take a stab at the cost basis" when you are retired. Also, you don't want to leave a shit show for your heirs to have to figure out!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Dieter wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:39 am

"
The new reporting rules, signed into law as part of the big bailout legislation in 2008, are being phased in over a few years and don’t necessarily apply to all of your taxable holdings: banks and brokers were required to begin tracking and reporting the cost basis of stocks in taxable accounts bought in 2011 or later. Mutual funds, dividend-reinvestment plans and certain exchange-traded funds purchased beginning in 2012 are subject to the new rules.
"
Is that the covered/noncovered stuff or is that something else altogether?
RIP Marcello Gandini
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Yes, I've never seen this not tracked. Haven't used Fidelity specifically though.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 am

I think the IRS is only looking to have brokers track dividends to ensure tax reporting in the year that they're generated. There's nothing that says they have to track reinvested dividends over the years to add into your cost basis when you sell. And it appears they are NOT doing that. Cost basis for all reinvested dividends is shown as zero. Technically that's correct in a tax-advantaged account, but it is a big problem in a taxable account. Just in case y'all don't believe me here's a screenshot of a stock with one initial purchase and the rest are reinvested dividends (in a tax-advantaged account). Total cost basis is the sum of the basis per lot shown here (i.e. exactly equal to the cost basis of the initial purchase).

I have all my accounts set to show actual cost basis, not averaged cost basis, so that isn't the problem. BTW Fidelity has an interesting new option for taxable accounts: you can set sales to "tax sensitive" which will automagically select lots to harvest losses if you have them, and otherwise minimize capital gains. Nice, as long as you're not reinvesting dividends of course.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:50 am

sophie wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 am
I think the IRS is only looking to have brokers track dividends to ensure tax reporting in the year that they're generated. There's nothing that says they have to track reinvested dividends over the years to add into your cost basis when you sell. And it appears they are NOT doing that.
I agree, except that, re:your last line: Vanguard does do that for me, all year long, except in my IRA.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:18 am

I've just double-checked: Ameritrade keeps track of it too.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:44 am

I contacted Fidelity. They show cost basis for reinvested dividends in taxable accounts, but not in tax-advantaged accounts (it will show as zero cost basis). I just had a dividend reinvestment show up (my canary in the coal mine experiment) and it does indeed list cost basis, and the total cost basis includes both original purchase and the reinvestment.

The cost basis for any purchase lot will also depend on whether you are set for average costs or actual costs. Also, if you switch to actual costs it will only apply to future purchases; prior purchases will continue to reflect average costs and you can't change this. And, once you switch to actual costs you can't switch back.

Phew! Why does this have to be so complicated. It would probably help if they had an info page explaining this.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:08 am

sophie wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:44 am
I contacted Fidelity. They show cost basis for reinvested dividends in taxable accounts, but not in tax-advantaged accounts (it will show as zero cost basis).
Oh. I should’ve stuck with my first instinct.
dualstow wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:33 am
At Fido, I only have a solo 401(k), so I thought that was the reason they didn't update the cost with reinvested dividends.
RIP Marcello Gandini