Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Book rec: The Mandibles

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:23 pm

The Mandibles by Shriver.

I'll bet a bunch of you would like this novel.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Book rec: The Mandibles

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:02 pm

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:52 am

Ordered this book from the library on Kriegsspiel's recommendation. Couldn't hardly put it down. Stayed up until 3 a.m. last night finishing it. Highly recommended, especially for HBPP people.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:04 am

This pleases me.

Libertarian666's probably already read it.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:57 am

Read the excellent review in The New Yorker, based in part on an extensive interview with the author:

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-tu ... n-collapse
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:59 am

I checked it out as an e-book from the local library and read it cover-to-cover on a quiet Christmas Day. Wickedly funny at times, scary SHTF real at others.

The best novel for the libertarian persuasion since Robert Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Maybe better.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Something that really surprised me was that a recent book written by a young white female urbanite could not be full of SJW garbage. Very refreshing. She actually makes it sound like it's okay to be white, to work hard, and to make money, and that even despite all of that "privilege", things may not work out the way you hoped.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:41 pm

Just want to say thanks for the recommendation, guys. When I hit chapter two and ignored the notifications from my ipad mini across the room, I knew I was enjoying the book.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:09 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:41 pm
Just want to say thanks for the recommendation, guys. When I hit chapter two and ignored the notifications from my ipad mini across the room, I knew I was enjoying the book.
A few weeks ago I started reading it with great anticipation based upon the recommendations here plus the extremely strong one in James Rickards's latest book.

However, a few pages into it I was disappointed. I'm a rare fiction book reader as I believe that "truth is stranger than fiction". I was just not prepared for what for me was overwrought descriptions in the writing. But I forced myself to continue reading it another day. The part where the two soldiers came into the house to search for gold was quite gripping. Have not read the book since then, though.

In the meanwhile I did acquire all five of Rickards's prior books (for about the grant total of $27, delivered to my house!). I'm reading the first one regarding currency. That makes the second one of his books I've read / am reading. I find his writing and what he has to say of far more substance than what I was reading in The Mandibles. At some point I will finish reading The Mandibles but, right now, it's probably behind these five Rickards books (plus some others).

Oh, yes. Getting back to The Mandibles. I also thought that the president's speech wherein he outlawed the ownership of gold (among other things) was also quite good.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:11 pm

jhogue wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:57 am
Read the excellent review in The New Yorker, based in part on an extensive interview with the author:

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-tu ... n-collapse
I did read the review plus read twice the "I Am Not A Kook" column she wrote (which was referred to in the review).

I liked the author a lot as a person after reading both the review and the column.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:03 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:23 pm
The Mandibles by Shriver.

I'll bet a bunch of you would like this novel.
Thanks! I've read some of her other works and really enjoyed them. So much for that. Not 'great literature' but delightful fun and a pleasant romp through my confirmation bias. I'll load it up.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:47 am

spoiler alerts, vinny, spoiler alerts. O0
well, I’ll wait until I finish before I check back in.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:31 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:47 am
spoiler alerts, vinny, spoiler alerts. O0
well, I’ll wait until I finish before I check back in.
Sorry! On the basis of what you'd written and that I'd considered that I'd barely gotten that far in the book I had assumed you'd already read what I had described and that you were now ahead of me.

And, rereading how much I did say about the book I hardly said much. But I'll refrain until you are done.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:42 am

Nah, it's ok. I have no business revisiting this thread until I finish. I don't know what I was thinking. O0
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Thanks to this thread and Rickards, I have a copy of the mandibles on hold for me at the library! ^-^
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:16 pm

Check out what I got!
IMG_5641.jpeg
IMG_5641.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 4514 times
It has been a nice day off reading today. Friggin' looove it so far!

EDIT: Why did my photo get rotated? Strange.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:31 pm

What is that ring? Did you leave a ring on the book or is that a special edition? My library copy doesn’t have it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:45 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:25 pm
Thanks to this thread and Rickards, I have a copy of the mandibles on hold for me at the library! ^-^
This past Friday / Saturday / Sunday nights I went to hear live music and prior to the music went out to eat each of those three nights. The first two nights it was just me. While I was eating (and while waiting in line outside Friday night) this was the book of choice for me to read. It's much better than I thought upon initially starting it. But still not as good as one of Rickards's books.

Vinny
Last edited by vnatale on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:03 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:31 pm
What is that ring? Did you leave a ring on the book or is that a special edition? My library copy doesn’t have it.
It's my gold ring that I wear daily!

It's my last resort, bottom dollar, deep deep deep deep emergency gold. ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:06 pm

I have to admit, this book is coloring everything I read now. (coloring book O0 )
I have reread Vinny "All I want to do is exhume exhume zoom and-a boom boom"'s latest thread resurrection, 'Why the PP is better in accumulation than you think' Read the first eight pages of it, anyway.

I had forgotten how spicy things got in 2015! When mathjak made the point of people not being able to bid up gold if the dollar becomes worthless...it's different from the book but it still made me think of it.

I have been out of town latelyand didn't take the book with me. It has made me very depressed about precious metals. I can only hope it's a temporary condition. O0 Great reading, anyway. I didn't like the writing style for the first chapter and then came to love it.

P.S. exhume joke stolen from CNBC. Andrew Ross Sorkin, I think.