Do You Carry a Multitool?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Do You Carry a Multitool?

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:10 pm

Do you guys carry a multitool around with you every day? If so, what for? I've been doing it for a few years, and it has gotten to the point where I don't think I could go day to day without one. I always feel naked on those days that I leave mine at home.

I carry a SwissChamp in my front pocket all the time. It comes in handy for everything from getting into that cardboard, tightening up that screw, or signing some documents (it has a pen!).

img-11461-w1024-h817.jpg
img-11461-w1024-h817.jpg (238.25 KiB) Viewed 6645 times

Do you carry a multitool? Why or why not? I think the "prepared for all scenarios" thinking dovetails quite nicely with the PP.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Do You Carry a Multitool?

Post by drumminj » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:35 pm

I don't EDC a multi-tool, but I do EDC a Benchmade mini-griptilian knife.

Multitool is too bulky, and I just don't find as useful day to day. I do keep a multi-tool in my go-bag in my house and car though.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:21 am

i have duct tape and a hammer , that is my multi tool..if it moves and it shouldn't it gets the tape--if it should move and doesn't it gets the hammer
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:55 am

I would find more uses for the ladybug foil wrapped chocolate than for a multi-tool
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:01 am

I used to carry one of those mini swiss army knives on my keychain. Super useful, but unfortunately I've lost all but one of them to the TSA because I keep forgetting to take it off before traveling. So the last one sits in a drawer.

I'm a big fan of keeping tools handy though! Thanks to how insane the world of packaging is, I find that a good set of pliers and a box cutter are essential kitchen tools. I also keep my father's old full-size swiss army knife in my office desk drawer - carefully out of sight of the "housewives of Orange County" types in my dept because I'm sure they wouldn't approve. Use it all the time.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:03 am

London Bridge means we can't have Swiss Army knives...
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:32 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:10 pm
Do you guys carry a multitool around with you every day?
No, but I love the one I have at home. Just a very simple Leatherman. (Fuse?)

I have a lot of handy knives for cutting boxes, but it's easier to find the Fuse for a screwdriver than the ones I'm always lending to the wife.
My favorite pliers are just really small Vise Grips that I found at Lowe's. 2nd favorite: full sized Vise Grips.
or signing some documents (it has a pen!).
You barbarian! O0 Start a pen thread and I'll tell you how much I love Taiwan's TWSBIs.

What did you do to that poor ladybug on the bear rug?
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:24 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:32 pm

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:24 pm
https://www.outdoorelement.com/product/ ... carabiner/ is good to put on your backpack.
neat!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:30 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:01 am
I used to carry one of those mini swiss army knives on my keychain. Super useful, but unfortunately I've lost all but one of them to the TSA because I keep forgetting to take it off before traveling. So the last one sits in a drawer.

I'm a big fan of keeping tools handy though! Thanks to how insane the world of packaging is, I find that a good set of pliers and a box cutter are essential kitchen tools. I also keep my father's old full-size swiss army knife in my office desk drawer - carefully out of sight of the "housewives of Orange County" types in my dept because I'm sure they wouldn't approve. Use it all the time.
Yeah TSA; they took mine, a very small Swiss Army knife which I'd had since a Paris trip a decade or two before, also on a keychain, when I was in the ferry line to go to Elis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Guess they thought I might hijack the ferry with an inch and a quarter blade or the tiny sissors. My error for forgetting the keychain item; could have kept the knife if I ditched the ferry ride and disappointed my wife and grandkids. I opted for a memory instead. ;)

I do keep a Gerber multitool in my car; I find a Spyderco Delica 4, more convenient and useful for pocket carry (after removing the pocket clip). Medium Tex recommended it to me several years ago.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:07 pm

every day carry is a basic model husky brand flip open box/utility razor knife.. i had one of the original flip open box knifes, it said "pat pending" on the blade holder. i carried it for so long the colored anodizing wore off the sides, i still have it but it is held together with tape and not very safe any more..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:39 am

l82start, your signature line is doctrine; how should I process it? ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:28 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:39 am
THINK ABOUT IT... ;D
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:31 am

l82start wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:28 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:39 am
THINK ABOUT IT... ;D
Your presupposition is that I can think. Sounds like more doctrine ... oops, did I just think? ;D ;D ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:32 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:30 pm
I do keep a Gerber multitool in my car; I find a Spyderco Delica 4, more convenient and useful for pocket carry (after removing the pocket clip). Medium Tex recommended it to me several years ago.
Wow, US$78. Beautiful knife, though.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:26 pm

You guys are hilarious.

I have no idea what the ladybug is, as I actually pilfered that pic off Google. (I'm a pirate... arr!) I do have the exact same swiss army knife though.

People at work are endlessly fascinated by it when I use it to open up a cardboard box or cut open a package.

I just love the quality and precision of these swiss army knives. I like the functionality and designs of some other brands too, but the insane quality of the swiss is what keeps me coming back.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:45 pm

I have a Leatherman that I got at Fort Benning back in 2006. I had it on me every day in the military, but now I mostly use it for opening cans & boxes, and I use the screwdriver to assemble furniture and stuff every once in a while when I lived in an apartment and thus didn't have any other tools.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:12 pm

The Swiss Army Knives are really cool. I got my first as a kid from my Dad and replaced it as a young adult. Lost that replacement 15 years ago, and then I learned that it’s technically illegal to carry a knife on the street where I live. Even a small one. ( I still carry a tiny one once in a while on short trips to stick it to the Man. shh! )

Because of someone on this forum — what was his name? Coffee? — I got into Morakniv knives from Sweden. I love the serrated “Rope” model for cutting cardboard. Far more satisfying than a utility razor blade, although I still use those to score heavy cardboard before doing the real cut. They’re inexpensive, perform well, and have comfortable grips.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:34 pm

I carry a Spyderco Delica Clipit clipped onto my right pocket. If I'm in the mood for more weight, a Benchmade automatic knife (switchblades legal in TX).

I can always get to my data... it's in Google Drive.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:50 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:01 am

Somewhere here in town is a store where they sell stuff confiscated at airports, I think statewide. My dad went there and picked up literally bagfuls of basic Swiss Army knives for dirt cheap. When I lose one (to the TSA or otherwise) I just get another out of the bag. Feels kind of dirty being the ones to ultimately profit off of people who have their knives confiscated by the government. Still, a great deal on pocket knives.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:12 pm

TSA are the ones profiting.

Ocho, I hope you back up that data. Or make use of Google Takeout.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:03 pm

I've been debating for the past week about upgrading from my current SwissChamp to something even beefier. It was my debating about it that got me starting this thread, now that I think about it. This is the S54 Tool Chest. It's a real hefty hunk of tool.

https://www.amazon.ca/Victorinox-Swiss- ... 744&sr=8-1

It's got the adjustable pliers, wrench, compass, and locking blade. However it's thicker, heavier, and doesn't have the pen.

At least it's better than debating whether I have too much or too little in stocks. ::)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:01 am

That’s huge! Maybe you just need a tool belt. O0
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:12 pm

I carry an iPhone.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:09 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:12 pm
I carry an iPhone.
Truly the Swiss Army knife of our time. O0

Millennial grandparent to generation Beta; When i was young, we didn’t even have iPhones.