Signatures

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Signatures

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:42 pm

Smith1776 wrote: 640K ought to be enough for anybody.

(As Vinny pointed out in the multitool thread, there is scant evidence that Bill Gates made that comment about RAM).

It’s funny- I googled it when I saw it earlier and suddenly remembered having heard it a long time ago. However, before I searched, I didn’t put it together, even with your Bill Gates profile pic. In fact, I thought the quote was about $640,000 being enough. I was like, who said that? US $ or Canadian? O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Signatures

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:16 pm

O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:53 am

I don't think I've ever heard the quote in Smithers' signature. I do know that the president of IBM predicted that the world would only ever have use for a handful of supercomputers.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:36 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:53 am
I don't think I've ever heard the quote in Smithers' signature. I do know that the president of IBM predicted that the world would only ever have use for a handful of supercomputers.
A bunch of GREAT ones in the Scott Adams's Loserthink book!

STRAIGHT-LINE PREDICTIONS
Economists spend a lot of time trying to predict what will happen to people’s money if one or more variables in the world are tweaked. If you try to predict the future by assuming no variables ever change, you get predictions that look like these:

“The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty—a fad.”

—The president of Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford’s lawyer not to invest in Ford Motor Co., 19032

“The world potential market for copying machines is 5,000 at most.”

—IBM, to the eventual founders of Xerox, saying the photocopier had no market large enough to justify production, 19593

“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.”

—Ken Olsen, president, chairman, and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 19774

“Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau.”

—Irving Fisher, professor of economics, Yale University, 19295

“We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.”

—Decca Records, rejecting the Beatles, 19626

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:08 pm

A thread started about my signature!

I have reached the height of fame! ;D

Another one of my favourites quotes:

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:21 pm

:)
Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:08 pm
A thread started about my signature!
If things go off-topic, I sometimes I have a compulsion to start a thread for the off-topic part.
Hmm, I might have to start a thread for pithy quotes. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:31 am

In the gold-shine thread,
mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:32 am
the bad guys know most are not going to be armed
i shoot back
I assume you're referring to my sig.

You own a gun, mathjak?
A friend of mine has an NYC permit but he lives in Nevada now, where he actually spends time shooting (targets).
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:15 pm

My work is never done.
Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:00 pm
Speaking of Canada vs. U.S -- we're definitely not shooting back here in the north. Concealed every day carry is illegal here.

I do have that swiss army knife, but we all know about bringing a knife to a gun fight.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 pm

Dualstow's signatures are some of the best things on the forum. Although this one is about bad news...

just had to comment that at least the Hasidic Jews of Crown heights can take comfort in the fact that they appear to rate higher in the eyes of our dear mayor than female college students at Barnard. At least there is some effort to catch the perpetrators in the Crown Heights incidents. Except of course that they'll all be immediately released under the new bail law :-)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:45 am

As long as Hasids are going to dress conspicuously (i.e. forever), I think they had better get some armed bodyguards dressed the same way. Can’t depend on the gov’t to protect them.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:52 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:56 am
dualstow wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:45 am
As long as Hasids are going to dress conspicuously (i.e. forever), I think they had better get some armed bodyguards dressed the same way. Can’t depend on the gov’t to protect them.
You'll notice that in the TX church shooting, the attacker was killed by members with concealed carry, and limited the damage to only 2 dead. Would have been a lot more dead if that was NY.
I think dualstow was talking about hiring security guards, who can carry concealed weapons. They are already getting help from the Guardian Angels. So thankful they are still around - and now getting more active!

As far as guns...the Angels can't carry them and not sure how effective they'd be in a shooting situation. Note though that the violent attacks so far have involved fists & knives, not guns. It might be that (as the studies on this suggest) there is a positive net effect of tight gun restrictions. For every Texas church saved by armed congregants, there are probably at least as many other people who DIDN'T get shot by the guns that their attackers were not able to get hold of. I get the Second Amendment and all, it's just that I don't know if the self-defense argument really holds up.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:42 pm

I've never fired a gun before in my life. I've got mixed feelings about carrying one everyday if I lived in a place that allowed it. It seems to me that the use of a gun, even for legitimate self-defence purposes almost always results in bad consequences for the user somehow. The legal ramifications, the potential PTSD, etc. But, I suppose if it can save your life...

Either way, I ought to go to the local shooting range and try one out some time... I've fired plenty of virtual guns. Does that count?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:48 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:42 pm
Either way, I ought to go to the local shooting range and try one out some time... I've fired plenty of virtual guns. Does that count?
Yes, it counts as a minus. O0 As does anything one picks up from TV and movies.
I have had some shooting lessons, but I have reservations about carrying one around. When you have a hammer...

ADDED:
WiseOne wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:52 am
MangoMan wrote:
dualstow wrote:
You'll notice that in the TX church shooting, the attacker was killed by members with concealed carry, and limited the damage to only 2 dead. Would have been a lot more dead if that was NY.
I think dualstow was talking about hiring security guards, who can carry concealed weapons.
Indeed. Licensed professionals who carry concealed and who can react relatively calmly.

Glad to hear about the Guardian Angels. I remember my dad pointing them out to me when I was a kid on the subway in the 70s.
Last edited by dualstow on Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:50 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
I've never fired a gun before in my life. I've got mixed feelings about carrying one everyday if I lived in a place that allowed it. It seems to me that the use of a gun, even for legitimate self-defence purposes almost always results in bad consequences for the user somehow. The legal ramifications, the potential PTSD, etc. But, I suppose if it can save your life...
The only time you're firing a gun at someone is in order to stop a lethal threat to you or someone else. Worrying about PTSD in such a situation is a bit silly. Better than being dead, no?

It sounds like you're thinking of this as a movie script, where you've assumed that action X is bad and so there'll be some kind of comeuppance for doing it.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:53 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:48 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Yes, it counts as a minus. O0 As does anything one picks up from TV and movies.
I have had some shooting lessons, but I have reservations about carrying one around. When you have a hammer...
Right, I've heard of some pretty bad stories about what carrying even a legitimate weapon for self-defence can lead to.

Having a gun can make one overconfident and more likely to stand ground rather than avoiding an altercation. This can then make a violent incident and resulting injury more likely.

I wonder if my local gun shop sells anything James Bond-ian.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:55 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:53 pm
I wonder if my local gun shop sells anything James Bond-ian.
Glocks & Bonds
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:50 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
The only time you're firing a gun at someone is in order to stop a lethal threat to you or someone else. Worrying about PTSD in such a situation is a bit silly. Better than being dead, no?

It sounds like you're thinking of this as a movie script, where you've assumed that action X is bad and so there'll be some kind of comeuppance for doing it.
Yeah, I honestly just mistrust myself somewhat in this regard.

I feel like I'd be the guy who'd underreact and not use it when I should have (costing lives), and then overreact by using it when I shouldn't have (also costing lives).

I'm pretty mild mannered, honestly. Someone with steadier nerves ought to have the guns.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:56 pm
Xan wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:50 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

Yeah, I honestly just mistrust myself somewhat in this regard.

I feel like I'd be the guy who'd underreact and not use it when I should have (costing lives), and then overreact by using it when I shouldn't have (also costing lives).

I'm pretty mild mannered, honestly. Someone with steadier nerves ought to have the guns.
Understood. But I'm not so sure you're in the clear in the "underreact" situation here. If you're in the situation you described, where you using a firearm saves lives, then have you really absolved yourself by having made an earlier decision to not carry one?

I'm really just thinking out loud here. I'm not arguing that you should carry. Probably nobody should who isn't comfortable doing so.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:16 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Understood. But I'm not so sure you're in the clear in the "underreact" situation here. If you're in the situation you described, where you using a firearm saves lives, then have you really absolved yourself by having made an earlier decision to not carry one?

I'm really just thinking out loud here. I'm not arguing that you should carry. Probably nobody should who isn't comfortable doing so.
That's a really good point actually.

I sometimes carry around a little bottle of pepper spray (euphemistically marketed as "dog spray") with me when I go out and about. Say, when I know I'm going to be in downtown Vancouver late at night.

Effective up to 12 feet and non-lethal! It's probably the sweet spot for me in terms of what I'm comfortable with for self-defence.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:16 pm
I sometimes carry around a little bottle of pepper spray (euphemistically marketed as "dog spray") with me when I go out and about. Say, when I know I'm going to be in downtown Vancouver late at night.

Effective up to 12 feet and non-lethal! It's probably the sweet spot for me in terms of what I'm comfortable with for self-defence.
I'm not certain, but I think that is illegal in Canada.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:02 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

Bought from Canadian Tire, and clearly marketed for every day carry... only against potential dog attacks of course! ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sabr ... p.html#srp

EDIT: I must say, between this and the B.S. driving stuff I've been going through, I'm really starting to not like Canada.

EDIT EDIT: The global gold price not being denominated in our dollars doesn't help either. >:(
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:43 pm

I carry bear spray. Had to buy some for Yellowstone, but I refresh it every year in the city. No idea whether or not it’s legal.
I know I’m not allowed to carry knives.
Sure hope I don’t run into any bears.

Previous page;
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:08 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:02 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

Bought from Canadian Tire, and clearly marketed for every day carry... only against potential dog attacks of course! ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sabr ... p.html#srp

EDIT: I must say, between this and the B.S. driving stuff I've been going through, I'm really starting to not like Canada.

EDIT EDIT: The global gold price not being denominated in our dollars doesn't help either. >:(
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:59 pm

I only hope bear spray works better on people than it does on bears! If you come face to face with a grizzly, you could have a loaded AK-47 in your hand and it wouldn't do you any good.

Gotta look into that. NYC allows you to carry sprays, you just can't buy pepper spray either in the city or by online order. My personal plan to date has been to go straight for a particularly vulnerable part of the male anatomy.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:56 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:52 am
MangoMan wrote:
dualstow wrote:
I think dualstow was talking about hiring security guards, who can carry concealed weapons. They are already getting help from the Guardian Angels. So thankful they are still around - and now getting more active!

As far as guns...the Angels can't carry them and not sure how effective they'd be in a shooting situation. Note though that the violent attacks so far have involved fists & knives, not guns. It might be that (as the studies on this suggest) there is a positive net effect of tight gun restrictions. For every Texas church saved by armed congregants, there are probably at least as many other people who DIDN'T get shot by the guns that their attackers were not able to get hold of. I get the Second Amendment and all, it's just that I don't know if the self-defense argument really holds up.
The research is clear: by far the best way to defend yourself is with a gun.
This is especially true for women, who are almost all weaker than even an average-strength man.
And criminals can always get guns, so the best estimate is that there are exactly zero people whose lives have been saved by "tight gun restrictions", whereas there are millions of defensive uses of guns every year in the US.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:00 am

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:59 pm
I only hope bear spray works better on people than it does on bears! If you come face to face with a grizzly, you could have a loaded AK-47 in your hand and it wouldn't do you any good.

Gotta look into that. NYC allows you to carry sprays, you just can't buy pepper spray either in the city or by online order. My personal plan to date has been to go straight for a particularly vulnerable part of the male anatomy.
After doing a bit of research, you're right that an AK-47 isn't the best choice for that situation. A .44 magnum should do the job though, and it's a lot more portable.

As for your personal plan, guns are a lot more effective: https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/ ... earch-show