How do you invest the Cash portion?

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How do you invest the Cash portion?

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:24 am

i moved away from boglehead advice a long time ago ... the problem is they see things only one way and only support and high five those who think like they do . in fact as a company i think vanguard is terrible in both company policies and customer service based on my experiences .

the biggest obstacle most people have is believing their own bull sh*t ...

they never sleep with the enemy so they never learn there may be better ways of doing things and what they believe may be wrong , outdated or just old school thinking .

when you can argue for or against something equally well , then you likely have enough information to make an informed decision . but most people don't do this . they only learn and hang with others with the same views and that can end up being short sighted
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:36 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:04 pm
sophie wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:52 am
Unfortunately, neither Vanguard nor Fidelity provide checkwriting from an individual fund - only from an account. I don't know where you'd go to find such a beast.
Sophie, I have checkwriting from many of my Vanguard funds, even a long-term muni bond fund.
I think they used to provide this, in fact I know for a fact that Fidelity did - but no longer. You probably will be able to keep your checkwriting arrangement going, but if you want to apply for them now the websites make it clear that it only applies to an account.

No idea why that is...might be a new rule that came down the pike, since it seems to be universal. I couldn't find any Treasury MM with checkwriting directly to the fund, anywhere. If anyone knows of one I'd like to hear about it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:25 am

sophie wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:36 am
No idea why that is...might be a new rule that came down the pike, since it seems to be universal. I couldn't find any Treasury MM with checkwriting directly to the fund, anywhere. If anyone knows of one I'd like to hear about it.
Are you just going by the second bullet point on this page?
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/whatwe ... eckwriting

It's not that I don't believe you, but I don't see it. Maybe you're right that it's just grandfathered in. That would be weird, though.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:49 pm

I never understood the bonds in tax advantaged accounts thing and particularly Roths. I’d much rather shelter higher growth rates and pay taxes on lower growth items unless one is going to buy and hold for a really long time on something that doesn’t pay a dividend like BRK stock.

Side note, apparently in Europe they have ETFs that auto reinvest dividends in the underlying and do not distribute them which ends up sheltering (and growing) your initial investment. Wonder if that is illegal in the states...what an awesome approach.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:02 am

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Kbg wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:34 pm
Don’t forget, the govt can print money. So getting your money back is not really the issue. Far more likely problems are legal delays and in the ZA (new acronym for Zombie Apocalypse) inflationary devaluation.

To me for the first and most likely problem, treasury direct is a no brainer. Just you and your government, no middlemen of any kind.
Ha. Customer service on that site is notoriously awful. Imagine what it will be like with millions of people calling and emailing during the ZA. Good luck getting your money out. Cash in hand is the only thing that will be of value. And guns. And barter-able items.
I think we mix bad scenarios by degrees here. In a true ZA I’m planning on 50 acres of land I own and my ability to produce food on it and hope in my 70s I’m not following a plow horse but get to sit in my a/c cooled tractor cabin. I’m pretty sure any government entity will outgun me if they are serious about confiscating my stuff and I hope my neighbors of many years are just working their land.

Short of that, I’d much rather have the USG doing the electronic accounting with my name as the owner vs. a brokerage intermediary. Perhaps I’m too sanguine but I chose not to live my life in fear and be an optimist. My biggest financial worry is how do I set my wife up to deal with our assets when I’m gone if I pass before her.

On TD...why would I need customer service? I assume you figured out it was a self service site for buying and holding govt bonds for their duration before you purchased any right? If that wasn’t obvious you should be more deliberate before doing something like TD in the future.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:46 am

Do you mean you already own 50 acres that you farm, or that you want to in the future?
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:35 am

Kbg wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:49 pm
I never understood the bonds in tax advantaged accounts thing and particularly Roths. I’d much rather shelter higher growth rates and pay taxes on lower growth items unless one is going to buy and hold for a really long time on something that doesn’t pay a dividend like BRK stock.
I've flipped around quite a bit on this and would love to trigger a discussion. My favorite investment for tax-deferred accounts is cash, followed closely by bonds, then gold. "Deep" gold is best in taxable, followed by stocks. I try to maximize stocks in the Roth and HSA.

I made these choices with 2 goals in mind. First, tax-deferred accounts will eventually get slammed by ordinary income tax rates, so you want to make sure you're not trading that for a preferred tax rate (i.e. the capital gains rate). Second, a dollar's growth in a Roth IRA is worth a lot more than a dollar of growth in a tax deferred account. While I can't predict which asset will increase the most in the short term, over time spans of 10-15 years or more I am pretty confident that cash and bonds will underperform stocks. Basically, I want my tax-deferred accounts to shrivel up and die while my Roth skyrockets.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:16 am

You got, Sophie!
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Own it and sorta farm it. We plant and water hay which we sell to someone who fertilizes and cuts/hauls.
Last edited by Kbg on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:27 pm

sophie wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:35 am
"Deep" gold is best in taxable,
How far down do I have to bury it?

No, I guess deep gold is physical coins, not meant to be traded?
RIP Marcello Gandini
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:47 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:27 pm
sophie wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:35 am
"Deep" gold is best in taxable,
How far down do I have to bury it?

No, I guess deep gold is physical coins, not meant to be traded?
I guess we should explain our lingo a bit better!

I've been using "deep" to describe the assets that you're unlikely to have to sell to rebalance. It would suck to have to rebalance from taxable gold, although I don't really know to what degree that should drive my investment choices. Many on the forum advocate keeping some gold ETFs in tax-deferred for that reason though.

Off the initial topic though...I'm genuinely interested in what people think about distributing assets among different types of account. The Bogleheads forum has a lot of posts about keeping bonds in tax-deferred, and loading up Roth and taxable with stocks. Same idea.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:51 am

sophie wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:47 am
Off the initial topic though...I'm genuinely interested in what people think about distributing assets among different types of account. The Bogleheads forum has a lot of posts about keeping bonds in tax-deferred, and loading up Roth and taxable with stocks. Same idea.
When Harry wrote ‘Best Laid Plans” and even “Fail-Safe Investing”, cash was actually earning something. These days I’m happy to hold it in taxable.
RIP Marcello Gandini
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:01 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:51 am
sophie wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:47 am
When Harry wrote ‘Best Laid Plans” and even “Fail-Safe Investing”, cash was actually earning something. These days I’m happy to hold it in taxable.
Same here.

It just occurred to me that low interest rates are actually a boon for investors, in a way, because of the difference in tax treatment between capital gains & dividends vs interest. Because interest rates are low, investors are saving less in cash and putting relativey more into the stock market, especially dividend payers - at least that's my personal opinion. As I remember, when interest rates dropped below the average dividend return, there was suddenly a ton of interest in dividend stock portfolios.

Which btw is another reason why I was attracted to the idea of building up a collection of individual stocks: stock funds spin off capital gains and dividends every year, and the dividends mostly aren't qualified so they get taxed like interest. With individual stocks, I have total control of the capital gains, and all dividends are qualified.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:17 am

dividends are never a proxy for interest ..... they both serve different purposes and work differently and one should never be used to replace the other
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:04 pm

On Sophie’s question.

This is a question that is logically answered objectively through basic math. Mathematically everyone should know that a taxed deposit and a taxed withdrawal at the same tax rate ends up being exactly the same. If one can defer taxes and know the withdrawal is going to be at a lower tax rate then the calculus is a no brainer.

The problem is things get very complex when you get to RMDs, Medicare premiums and passing things on to the next generation. Thus, in reality one needs to make a significant amount of assumptions. Given the complexity, I decided to make a very basic assumption which is assets that are likely to compound at a higher rate historically will continue to do so. Thus, my ROTH gets priority for growth assets and I will pay the taxes on lower growth assets as needed. For me personally, I’m blessed that my before and after tax rate could end up not changing that much. I’m literally on the edge and have no idea if I will drop or not to a lower rate (when RMDs start).

As was noted elsewhere...if you end up trading almost at all in a taxable the strategy of putting dividends and interest investments in tax deferred accounts loses luster quickly. So for me, I manage portfolios at the account level rather than trying to manage at a “macro portfolio mix” level. In other words I have a mix in taxable and deferred and lean heavy on growth in the ROTH accounts.

However, to be clear there is a mathematically “correct” answer on this question according to the assumptions one makes. If your finances are complex you probably need a financial planner to help you through it all though. I’ve been a DIYer my whole investing life but I think I’m getting to the point I need the professional planning part. (But not the investment mngt)
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:21 am

Kbg, I suspect we all have access to the information we need to optimize tax strategy. I wouldn't expect that a financial planner would be any better at that than you are. Professionals are not incentivized to spend lots of time figuring out complexities, they'll tend to use simple one size fits all rules.

Developing a spreadsheet simulator to estimate taxes AFTER retirement would be dead useful. iORP is the closest thing to an online source, but it seems to make some simplistic assumptions. It always wants you to spend every taxable penny and Roth convert your entire 401K before taking SS.

In addition to dealing with marginal tax brackets in retirement, here's the fiscal parameters I know about (in part thanks to this board):

top of 12% tax bracket - limit for avoiding taxes on qualified dividends and capital gains
Saver's credit (< age 65)
Obamacare (< age 65) - 4x poverty level.
Medicare premiums - (> age 65) - don't remember what the threshold is.
(if you live in NY) - $85,000 income for enhanced STAR rebate, $50,000 income for SCHE (rebate of 50% of property taxes) (> age 65)

Any to add to this?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:55 am

sophie wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:21 am
Kbg, I suspect we all have access to the information we need to optimize tax strategy. I wouldn't expect that a financial planner would be any better at that than you are. Professionals are not incentivized to spend lots of time figuring out complexities, they'll tend to use simple one size fits all rules.

Developing a spreadsheet simulator to estimate taxes AFTER retirement would be dead useful. iORP is the closest thing to an online source, but it seems to make some simplistic assumptions. It always wants you to spend every taxable penny and Roth convert your entire 401K before taking SS.

In addition to dealing with marginal tax brackets in retirement, here's the fiscal parameters I know about (in part thanks to this board):

top of 12% tax bracket - limit for avoiding taxes on qualified dividends and capital gains
Saver's credit (< age 65)
Obamacare (< age 65) - 4x poverty level.
Medicare premiums - (> age 65) - don't remember what the threshold is.
(if you live in NY) - $85,000 income for enhanced STAR rebate, $50,000 income for SCHE (rebate of 50% of property taxes) (> age 65)

Any to add to this?
I always use the annual Forbes article regarding Medicare for the premium thresholds. And, I actively manage my end of year self-employment receipts so as to not have to pay any additional amounts.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaebel ... 690a912d73

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:26 pm

anato wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:14 pm
vnatale wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:20 pm
1) I Bonds. The limit is $10,000? Plus, if you overpay your taxes by $5,000 you can purchase another $5,000 with your tax refund? Is that what you do?
Yep, I try to overpay taxes. Then $10k for each one of me, my wife and 2 kids... so plenty of room there. It would mean my additional contributions for the year are north of $200k (never happened :-\)

Therefore as a single person this is what I can do for 2019 and 2020?

1) For 2019 meet any deadlines to outright purchase $10,000 of iBonds by December 31, 2019?

2) Between now and April 15, 2020 (or, October 15, 2020, if extending tax return to that date?) overpay my 2019 estimated taxes by $5,000 so that it generates a refund to purchases an additional $5,000 of iBonds in 2020?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:35 pm

jhogue wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:38 am
ochotona wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:47 pm
I'm not getting Ally CDs, using their Savings. Pays more than 30-day T-Bill. Yeah, I know about Ally... it use to be GMAC.
Ally savings account interest rate is currently 1.70%.
3 month T-bill interest rate is currently 1.59%. Simple to ladder and put on auto-roll.
The difference is 0.11% ( further reduced by state and local taxes).

So why pick FDIC insurance coverage (which had to be bailed out by Congress in 2008) on a bank that effectively defaulted and had to be bailed out by TARP funds, instead of US Treasury bills, which were then and remain today the global reserve currency?

In the next banking crisis in the US (and there will be one) you want to hold Cash in the highest quality assets you can get. Every FDIC-insured account holder will be standing in line behind every US Treasury holder.
If something is important to me I always want to be as close as possible to first in line. Therefore, I'm in agreement with your above statement and will only buy only U.S. Treasuries and AVOID any bank / FDIC product.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:45 pm

jacksonM wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:57 pm
T bills for me too. Some of it is in various money market accounts at Fidelity and Vanguard for convenience sake but basically if I have a big bunch of cash it goes into T-Bills.

As for why I do this, it's because that was what HB suggested in his book and also the authors of the newer book by the folks who originally started this forum. They seemed to have spent more time thinking about these kinds of things than me and showed facts and figures for why it worked in the overall scheme of things so I didn't see any reason to delve any further to come up with my own plans.

Especially true nowadays when the best you can hope for with cash beyond what they recommended is is a minuscule improvement that doesn't really justify the risk of doing something else.
Finally getting around to thanking you for this, which is somewhat of an affirmation of how I tend to go about things. Your second paragraph describes how I prefer to find someone who has already invented the wheel rather than trying to invent that wheel on my own.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:52 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:06 pm
Maddy wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:25 pm
What is the critical difference between Vanguard's treasury money market fund and a short-term treasury fund?
Is one more suitable for the PP than another?
Being both a money market fund and one that holds just treasurys, VUSXX is the ultimate cash vehicle for the pp, in my opinion. As a money market, each unit is a dollar. Put in $10,000, and know that you're going to be able to take out $10,000 (plus interest earned) when you need it- Well, you should be able to get it within a day if you sell shares to your sweep account, the Federal Money Market thing.

Prime money market fund also maintains a $1 share price, but even that fell victim to "breaking the buck" in 2008 or '09, losing money with most money market funds. It's not a terrible choice most of the time.

A short-term treasury fund has the *quality* of VUSXX, but not being a money market fund, I would think it could fluctuate in value, especially if it holds some 2-year notes. You can sell shares when you want to, but they may not always be equal to what you put in. (They might be worth *more*, and the dividends might be better than VUSXX).

So, aim for something *very* short term and even then, you might want to have your core cash in either VUSXX or just t-bills held directly by you, a fine 3rd choice.

The expense ratio (ER) between the two funds may be different. VUSXX's ER is $0.09, ie a $9 annual fee if you maintain a balance of $10,000.

And finally, you need US$50,000 to get started in VUSXX, although you don't have to maintain that balance.

And, here was Dualstow prior eloquently doing what I had just done a short while ago....extolling the virtues of a treasury money fund over a treasury mututal fund.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:11 pm

Hm, I have no memory of that post. July seems like a lifetime away.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:29 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:11 pm
Hm, I have no memory of that post. July seems like a lifetime away.
July? From my perspective last Wednesday seems like a lifetime ago! Everything seemed to really start cascading exponentially starting last Thursday, a mere four days ago! The dominos started falling over at warp speed!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:24 pm

jhogue wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:48 pm
11/27/19
drumminj,

I am not picking your poison because I agree with Harry Browne and craigr that all financial risks are not created equal:

From CraigR’s FAQ:

"Q: Why a Treasury Money Market Fund and not something else with better yield?

A: Because you are not looking to take risk with your cash. Treasury Money Market Funds that are properly run are one of the most liquid investments you can own. There are no FDIC limits to worry about, no bank credit worthiness to worry about, and you will always be paid barring some extremely catastrophic event in the country. Chasing yield with your cash means you are taking on more risk and those risks can show up when you least expect (or want) them to."

The FDIC ran short of cash during the 2008-2009 financial crisis and had to be bailed out by Congress to the tune of $100 billion. That is a fact, not an opinion or a theory.

During that same time period, there was no interruption in the secondary market in T-bills.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.
A reminder to those who oftentimes will say that they consider FDIC protection equivalent to holding US Treasuries. I've now reached the pointed where I've been sufficiently (good) "brainwashed" that US Treasuries are the safer investment.

Whether it will ever comes to it is another question. However, if the cash quadrant's purpose is to just be there and act as ballast then I'm going to favor safety over yield.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:50 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:42 am
today pretty much a good prime money market from any of the major brokerages is fine .with the restrictions on them today the issues of the past are gone .

i put this about on par with buying gld , iau , etc for the gold portion . in the end they will likely be just fine ....

i already owned a money market that broke the buck and was closed back in 2008 .. but the stuff they were allowed to buy back then is no longer the case .

the same money printers that guarantee treasuries will be the same printers that guarantee other gov't bonds and also fdic payments to banks .
Seems that in the last few days you've amended the above to ONLY being Fidelity and Vanguard?

Vinny