Stock Meltup Underway?

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Stock Meltup Underway?

Post by Don » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:27 pm

Stocks are performing very well these days. It seems that new highs are be recorded daily. The China trade deal seems to have taken hold. Brexit is assured. Fed liquidity is being generously added. Rates have been lowered. Corporate taxes are low, regulations removed and people are working in record numbers. Plus presidential election years are usually good.

It sure seems that a stock meltup is underway. How high can you go?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Stock Meltup Underway?

Post by ochotona » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:14 am

There seems to be a pattern where VIX gets beaten to low levels, about where they are now, around 12, then volatility spikes (there is a market pullback), and we might be there now, but it's all a guessing game in the end. The Fed is pouring money into the economy via the repo support program, which it says is not QE. The momentum is higher. You can't fight the Fed or momentum. Yes, it will end, but who knows when
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:44 am

It's going to be a good year, 2020.
RIP Marcello Gandini
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:20 am

If the Fed stops "repo intervention" Trump loses
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:36 am

boglerdude wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:20 am
If the Fed stops "repo intervention" Trump loses
To whom? I believe that when any of these Dem candidates are focused upon they will be pulverized.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Anyone if we're in recession. Prob Bloomberg
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:04 am

Im a Never Trumper but the Dems are imploding
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:06 am

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:46 pm

I smell a tweet coming ......there is always more chaos every time we hit highs ...
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:24 pm

Wife and I have hit our all time high nest egg today.

Yay!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:39 pm

I have turned off automatic dividend reinvestment and my new 401k money is going into money market. The melt-up is going on too fast.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:29 am

The problem with these predictions is that they may be accurate given an unlimited time horizon (i.e. yes, the stock market will go through a correction sometime in the future), but they can't predict the timing of the event.

Because of that, they're a terrible guide to use for investment actions. What if the correction doesn't happen for another year? Or another 3 years? You might end up doing worse than if you just stayed in and took the loss, because you'll have missed out on the gains to be had before that happens.

Since you're protected by the PP's "insurance" assets (bonds + gold) anyway, why even bother? Unless of course you're trying to finagle those too and end up being caught short when D-day comes.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:04 am

Stock Melt up, or aka, Fear of Missing Out.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:39 pm

sophie wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:29 am
The problem with these predictions is that they may be accurate given an unlimited time horizon (i.e. yes, the stock market will go through a correction sometime in the future), but they can't predict the timing of the event.
A few years ago, Rick Ferri released his 30-year forecast. Like a bunch of similar forecasts, it looked pretty dismal for equity returns.Who’d’ve thought we’d get all our gains for this thirty-year cycle right at the beginning!
RIP Marcello Gandini
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:00 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:39 pm
sophie wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:29 am
A few years ago, Rick Ferri released his 30-year forecast. Like a bunch of similar forecasts, it looked pretty dismal for equity returns.Who’d’ve thought we’d get all our gains for this thirty-year cycle right at the beginning!
And what ever happened to gloom and doom John Hussman? Has his fund gone under?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:30 pm

Hope so.
RIP Marcello Gandini
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:51 am

his returns have been dismal like his predictions .

his strategic growth fund is actually quite distinguished .. it actually lost money in one of the greatest bull markets in history ...

his record is just awful . the fact it still is open and has investors is scary .

1 year minus 19%
3 year minus 8%
5 year minus 10%
10 year minus 7.58%
15 minus 4.56%

from fund inception minus .25%

i guess if you are going to predict , predict often , one day you will be right .. by the time this guys ship comes in the pier collapsed .
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:08 am

Hussman has a graph which he posts sometimes, depicting "market internals". If he were to use that chart alone, he'd have results like the Gary Antonacci GEM portfolio, or better, because the risk-on / risk-off turns are similarly placed. He'd definitely beat the market over a complete cycle. But... he ignores or sabotages his best work. How he runs his funds obviously reflects his internal mental state, which is fear driven.

I think it's OK to use his Margin-Adjusted CAPE as the context for using the market internals. You sit closer to the theater exit door in care of a fire... but if you sit in the lobby at the start of the movie, you don't see the movie.

BTW, my wife's IRA is in ACWV iShares global min volatility ETF, all time highs, so it's not just the USA. She's 50% that, and 50% Schwab SCHZ total bond ETF. Her assets still at Schwab, no reason to move them to Fidelity, I don't trade her things. Only mine.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:36 am

I like that analogy.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:31 am

On international...I have a retirement account that sucks for options. I can buy a cheap US S&P 500 index fund but international the best option is Vanguard Intl Growth. This account is GEMing using my method and is 80 intl/20% US.
Last edited by Kbg on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:25 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:45 pm

I use both. Some accounts are risk parity/PP ish and others are GEM. Due to past and current employers I have way more accounts than I care to have.

So for those accounts in GEM (3), I stagger trading dates. However, the primary management technique is staggered look back (LB) for determining which asset to be in. Classic GEM is 12mo LB for performance and all in for whatever asset is chosen. What I do is look at 10 LBs starting at the 3mo and going through to 12mos...so 10 slices which work the same as GEM and get a 10% allocation per slice. Thus, rather than having 100% in a single asset and then moving to 100% in something else the portfolio tends to move in and out of assets gradually. Under this method you might see 70% US, 20% intl and 10% bonds for example. Of course the short LBs have assets changing all the time and the long LBs are more stable.

I’ll never go back to standard GEM. However, I have software that does all the calcs and spits out the trades I need to make so its not difficult. For someone who wants some of this without all of the complexity something like 3 or 4 slices using 3,6,9,12mo LBs could be easily managed using free websites.

My leveraged hold ports can be found in the VP section thread. I update performance on them whenever I feel like it and whatever tweaks I make for the following year.