Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:45 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:32 am
Ebike is a great idea! Or a minibike (motor-driven) that doesn't require a license like a full-on motorcycle.

Those can turn what might seem to be a painful, long bike commute into something very doable. And like motorcycles you can legally weave around cars so in heavy traffic you probably might even get to work faster.

Assuming of course they're not banned in Vancouver the way they are in NYC. I think NYC banned them because they didn't want competition for the subways or the city's bikeshare system.
I did not consider an Ebike option! I just checked: no license of any kind at all is required to ride an e-bike. I actually will look into this as transport for those longer distances.

One thing I am hoping to get out of this situation: maybe, just maybe, I can design my life so that when I get my license back, I won't even WANT my car back. And I can save a bundle on insurance, gas, maintenance, etc.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:53 pm

My brother used to take an e-bike to work. He would use the electric option on the way there so as not to get sweaty before work, and then pedal home at the end of the day.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Just another update on my experiences so far.

So I've gone through and hired a lawyer. I ended up going with the middle of the road option in terms of pricing. Not the most expensive lawyer, but not the cheapest either.

It seems, at least in my area, that the market for lawyers is quite "efficient". More experienced lawyers charge similar sums while less experienced lawyers all seem to charge similar amounts as well.

For me, that meant the midrange option was a junior associate lawyer with a few years experience. The higher end of the spectrum would be a senior lawyer with a decade plus under their belt. The most affordable route would be an articling student -- someone who has graduated law school but hasn't passed the bar.

My overall emotional and mental state is much better now, despite not being able to drive. I've gone through enough of an adjustment period that it's not SO bad. I've tightened my belt a bit: I don't eat out anymore; I've pared down music lessons to 30 minutes a week instead of 60 minutes; and I do more affordable things when hanging out with friends.

Overall, I've tried to make this as positive an experience as possible. This incident has basically put me through a crash course in basic law, and I've met some interesting and nice people on transit. Dare I say this has been... almost... fun?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:14 pm

I rode every nice day this past summer. Bafang BBS02 mid drive motor. Completely silent. Cruises at 20+MPH easy. I typically did a decent amount of pedal assist, then I'd turn it down, and go hard for 30 seconds, about 5x times during the ride. Kept me in good shape. 15 minute commute. Car took 11 minutes. Too cold now. I don't like riding in cold.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:15 pm

Wow, Smithers, you have a lot of extracurricular activities: bodybuilding, music and stand-up at least.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:03 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:15 pm
Wow, Smithers, you have a lot of extracurricular activities: bodybuilding, music and stand-up at least.
Yes, people do mention that often when I get into conversations about hobbies and such.

The first impression that people sometimes get is that it seems impressive. However, there's an uncomfortable truth behind having lots of interests: you end up being a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Suppose it's true that becoming a master at anything really takes 10,000 hours of practice. It's pretty hard to hit 10,000 hours when you're pulled in a dozen different directions.

To be fair, by invoking the Pareto Principle, one might argue that 80% of the skill of a master can be extracted from the first 2,000 hours.

Still, I think I might need to pare down and focus more! It's a trade off for sure.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:07 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:03 pm
dualstow wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:15 pm
Yes, people do mention that often when I get into conversations about hobbies and such.

The first impression that people sometimes get is that it seems impressive. However, there's an uncomfortable truth behind having lots of interests: you end up being a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Suppose it's true that becoming a master at anything really takes 10,000 hours of practice. It's pretty hard to hit 10,000 hours when you're pulled in a dozen different directions.

To be fair, by invoking the Pareto Principle, one might argue that 80% of the skill of a master can be extracted from the first 2,000 hours.

Still, I think I might need to pare down and focus more! It's a trade off for sure.
When I originally read about that "10,000 hour" rule in Gladwell's book I unquestionably accepted it because he wrote it. Subsequently I found out it was not true.

Do an internet search and you'll see article like this all over the place: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... e-debunked

I think, though, I still believe in Pareto's rule.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:12 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:07 pm

When I originally read about that "10,000 hour" rule in Gladwell's book I unquestionably accepted it because he wrote it. Subsequently I found out it was not true.

Do an internet search and you'll see article like this all over the place: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... e-debunked

Vinny

Thanks for this, Vinny! Very fascinating article.

Assuming the assertions of the author are correct, I find it to be a bittersweet conclusion.

On the one hand, as the author says, we shouldn't have to hold ourselves to an impossible standard. That's great.

On the other hand, the piece concedes that even incredible practice and determination may, in some cases, not be enough to overcome someone else's tremendous natural talent. That's kind of disheartening.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:51 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:12 pm
vnatale wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:07 pm

Vinny

Thanks for this, Vinny! Very fascinating article.

Assuming the assertions of the author are correct, I find it to be a bittersweet conclusion.

On the one hand, as the author says, we shouldn't have to hold ourselves to an impossible standard. That's great.

On the other hand, the piece concedes that even incredible practice and determination may, in some cases, not be enough to overcome someone else's tremendous natural talent. That's kind of disheartening.
In my experience, I'd amend the "in some cases" to "in many cases".

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Just an update for you, my Internet friends.

My defence package was finally completed by my lawyer and myself and has been sent in. That part is done. A big weight of paperwork is off my shoulders. We'll see what the results are soon.

I went in to see ICBC today. A couple setbacks.

First, due to clerical error, it appears there has been an improper debt outstanding on my file for a while now. One of my tickets (which I had paid for), has been deemed long overdue because some boneheaded person didn't enter my file number correctly. Fortunately I kept the paper invoice. However, it's unclear what impact this may have had on my credit score in interim.

Second, due to a similar foul up, my suspension hasn't officially started until TODAY. So that entire month of me not driving since I started this thread? Yup, that hasn't counted for squat. I'm beyond irate.

I'm trying my best to use this time as constructively as possible. One of my heroes, Bruce Lee, injured his back so badly that it made him bedridden for some 6 months. No martial arts. No working out. Nothing. He turned that stumbling block into a stepping stone by reading and writing prolifically.

I'm trying to do something similar by taking this suspension time to accelerate the completion of my computer science studies.

I hope everyone else is having a better start to 2020! :o
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 pm

Crazy!
I had something similar happen to me with city taxes once.
I suddenly have a strange craving for unagi.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:15 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 pm
Crazy!
I am seriously considering moving to Alberta when this is done and through.

Lower cost of living, and I actually know quite a few people who live there now through some happenstance.

And now that I'm focusing a bit more on singing and stand up comedy rather than acting, there's less reason for me stay here in Hollywood North.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:06 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:15 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 pm
Crazy!
I am seriously considering moving to Alberta when this is done and through.

Lower cost of living, and I actually know quite a few people who live there now through some happenstance.

And now that I'm focusing a bit more on singing and stand up comedy rather than acting, there's less reason for me stay here in Hollywood North.
Hopefully not northern Alberta. I knew a guy who lived in High Level, and one day his propane heat wouldn't work. It turned out that the reason was that it was too cold outside for propane to boil. Brrr!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:22 pm

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/01/23 ... vancouver/

Uber and Lyft approved in Vancouver. It looks like my plight might not be so bad in the future.

More competition in ride hailing. Harry Browne would be proud.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:46 pm

👍
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:44 am

Another update for you guys. The result of the appeal the lawyer and I filed has come back. No leniency.

This has essentially put me in the worst of all possible worlds. My driving prohibition is still as long as it would have been had I simply done nothing, but now I'm also out all the money I spent to hire the lawyer.

A bright note though.

I recently met a girl through an online dating platform that, by sheer coincidence, lives right down the street from me! So the no driving thing hasn't been an issue. I'm super grateful.

There's a shopping mall near my house in addition to a rec centre, movie theatre, and lots of coffee shops and restaurants. So there's been no shortage of different things to do together while this all plays out.

Interestingly, one of my coworkers just got their drivers license suspended for the same time period too. 5 months.

I am learning a lot through this whole ordeal. Whether it's learning to plan my days out meticulously and waste as little time as possible, or just learning resilience, I'm trying to make the most of it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:30 am

girls > driving
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:27 am

Girls drool over guys with suspended licenses.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:31 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:27 am
It depends on why they were suspended...
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:40 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:31 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
One would do well to replace the phrase "clerical error" with "illegal street-racing."
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:44 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:40 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:31 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
One would do well to replace the phrase "clerical error" with "illegal street-racing."
Exactly!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:31 am

Next avatar: James Dean, Rebel without a Cause O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:27 pm

Currently sitting at the bus stop in the middle of my 2.5 hour commute. :P
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:27 pm
Does the young lady drive?
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:47 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:29 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:27 pm
Does the young lady drive?
Yup!

I will level with you guys though. I have not yet broke it to her that I am not able to drive. I walk to meet her and she probably just figures it’s because she is close.

I don’t think it’d be a huge deal. It’s only another 2 months. Still, it’s a little embarrassing.