Big expense ratio increase!!

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Big expense ratio increase!!

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:28 am

I'm logged into my Vanguard account and was mildly shocked to see this notice of this fairly large expense ratio increase!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (18.67 KiB) Viewed 6321 times
When you click on the link it brings you to something written in 2016. No specifics on this particular increase.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Big expense ratio increase!!

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:13 am

Probably an error. I don't think it was zero.

I love Vanguard but their site is annoyingly glitchy. I can't even view the fund in question -- #0033 -- right now to confirm.
late edit: #0011 never mind. had it right in the first place.

EDIT:used a different browser. Logged in.
I see the expense ratio, but no message like your screenshot that there was any sort of change.
Will keep looking.
Last edited by dualstow on Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:55 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:13 am
Probably an error. I don't think it was zero.

I love Vanguard but their site is annoyingly glitchy. I can't even view the fund in question -- #0033 -- right now to confirm.

EDIT:used a different browser. Logged in.
I see the expense ratio, but no message like your screenshot that there was any sort of change.
Will keep looking.
Yes. I was logged in using Chrome and could not get to the list of mutual funds or any specific mutual fund.

When I used Edge and was not logged in I was able to get to all the usual information.

During this process of getting my organization into a SIMPLE IRA my decades long high regard for Vanguard went down considerably.

They sent me literature this month which made references to 2018. 2018! What does it take to update your information?

No one, including their outdated information, told me I could email our Employer Form rather than mailing it.

I had to handwrite the Employer form rather than being able to type it.

And, as a result someone on their end misread one of my social security numbers. Which led to me having to make two calls to them on Thursday, totaling 1.5 hours just to uncover that it was their error on their end.

Their correction to this problem caused by them locks me out of our employer account for at least four days, meaning a delay in me getting invitations being sent to our employees!

In sum, it was a lot of incompetence on their end, which resulting in wasting a lot of time on my end. And, now makes it much more likely that once I FINALLY go 100% Permanent Portfolio I WILL split my now 100% Vanguard to 50% Vanguard and 50% Fidelity. It was just so jarring the incompetence I seemed to encounter at every turn.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:28 pm

I would switch to Fido, perhaps, but my sister-in-law works there and I don’t want her peeking.
RIP Marcello Gandini
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:36 pm

I dropped vanguard ...the worst customer service I ever experienced and horrible company polices and marketing ploys
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:24 am
dualstow wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:28 pm
I would switch to Fido, perhaps, but my sister-in-law works there and I don’t want her peeking.
Don't tell her? Does she randomly do monthly checks to see if you have an account?
She already knows I have a small retirement account there.
The answer to your follow-up question is yes, I believe she did. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:21 pm

Hate to say this dualstow, but your sister in law could lose her job for that. Don't know what Fido's policy is on that sort of thing but you could ask them (without fingering her directly).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:43 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:21 pm
Hate to say this dualstow, but your sister in law could lose her job for that. Don't know what Fido's policy is on that sort of thing but you could ask them (without fingering her directly).
You're right. She already got in trouble for something similar, although it was carelessness and not shadiness on her part. If I remember right, an ex or soon to be ex-husband of an account holder talked her into opening the account in front of him. Of course the account holder was furious.

In all probability, she probably would not dare to look because of the above. She was lucky to keep her job and merely get reprimanded, and since then has only advanced. She's probably on her best behavior these days. Still...it's my personal preference.
RIP Marcello Gandini