Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

I just noticed Apmex has an Amazon Storefront

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Weird.

Since it's third party, you can't use your Chase Amazon card to reap a deep discount/cash reward.
For the same reason, you can't have it shipped to a handy Amazon pick up site, I'm pretty sure.
So no advantages.

Disadvantages:
The price can't possibly get refreshed every moment along with the change in spot like at Apmex dot com.
Therefore, must be heavily marked up. If you search for a 1989 nugget, BU, at both sites...yep.

Is this just for people who only trust Amazon? For would-be gold buyers who don't know any better?
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I just noticed Apmex has an Amazon Storefront

Post by sophie » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:58 pm

Wow that is hilarious!

Why couldn't you use your Chase Amazon card for a 5% reward? I get the reward regardless of whether it's a 3rd party seller.

It's a hefty premium allright (they are asking $1759 for a 2013 Gold Eagle with "no mint mark"), but I really don't care what the price is. What are the chances of getting a counterfeit coin, do you think? My guess is somewhere between "high" and "100%". There's no way to know that the storefront has anything to do with the real APMEX - could be some dude in China for all you know. APMEX doesn't mention the Amazon storefront on its website.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:51 am

You can use the card, Soph, but I believe it says in the fine print that there is no 5% back when the vendor is not Amazon. Still a great card, especially if you’re going to buy Prime anyway. May as well earn it back.

As for whether the storefront is really Apmex, I guess I would contact Apmex directly with a link and ask, “Is this you?”
Although, I tried to do that with a Chinese company once regarding an oil-filled electric heater, and the response was that I should “contact the vendor (on Amazon) directly.” Ok then. O0 Hey guys, are you fake, and just pretending to be this other company’s storefront? Answer honestly now.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:47 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:34 am
Discover Card also has 5% back on Amazon this quarter, and it includes any purchase there, regardless of third party. I have Chase Freedom also; not sure where you saw that restriction, IIRC it was all of Amazon.
I would be very happy if that’s not the case, as more and more of our purchases are 3rd party, even though I try to avoid that. Maybe it’s ok if it’s “fulfilled” by Amazon? I will revisit the fine print sometime.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:01 am

follow-up: I’m having trouble finding the fine print, but I went to my order history.
I click Order Details.

The most recent orders say “i: earned 5% back...”
but there is an order of a powerbank that says “sold by AnkerDirect” and no line about earning 5% like above.
There is an order for cat litter bags sold by blahblahblah and no line about 5%.

{I also noticed our point balance is zero which is weird considering all those orders that earned 5% and no redemption, but that’s another story.
EDIT: it shows up as Pending at Chase's site (details/breakdown page) for about a month, even if it says zero elsewhere.
I see that we earned more than the cost of Prime. Good enough
. }
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:09 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:01 am
follow-up: I’m having trouble finding the fine print, but I went to my order history.
I click Order Details.

The most recent orders say “i: earned 5% back...”
but there is an order of a powerbank that says “sold by AnkerDirect” and no line about earning 5% like above.
There is an order for cat litter bags sold by blahblahblah and no line about 5%.

{I also noticed our point balance is zero which is weird considering all those orders that earned 5% and no redemption, but that’s another story.
EDIT: it shows up as Pending at Chase's site (details/breakdown page) for about a month, even if it says zero elsewhere.
I see that we earned more than the cost of Prime. Good enough
. }
I just checked my recent purchases. All of them, regardless of whether it's from "Amazon" or "AMZN Mktpl" had the 5% credit points. Maybe it just takes time to show up?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:21 am

Were they fulfilled by Amazon?
I get credit on many items that say Amazon Marketplace as well.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:37 am

I checked a transaction that definitely was not "fulfilled by Amazon" as it was shipped directly by the third party seller. I got the reward points.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:54 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:37 am
I checked a transaction that definitely was not "fulfilled by Amazon" as it was shipped directly by the third party seller. I got the reward points.
I'm feeling abused O0
by Amazon.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:49 pm

Worth a call to Amazon to straighten out?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:41 am

sophie wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:49 pm
Worth a call to Amazon to straighten out?
I’ll probably write to them. I mean I got the card thinking that some purchases would be ineligible, just like many items are ineligible for pick up at a pick-up center. But, even though the rewards are plenty, I’d like to find out more.