Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: No where to hide

Post by vnatale » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:12 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:14 pm
Some of the comments hit home for me.  I have a good sized nest egg.  I couldn't quote you a daily variation, but it's not uncommon to check the balance and have it be up or down $100-200K from the last time. 

The funny thing is, that doesn't bother me.  But if I stop at Subway for a sandwich and can't find the coupon I thought I had in my wallet, I'll be pissed.

I guess the reason for the different reactions is that I trust the PP to keep on keeping on.  But $2 off a sandwich, well, that's $2 I should not have to pay!

added:  OK I just checked.  I'm down about $90K give or take from probably a couple of weeks ago or so.  What am I supposed to do about that exactly?  Is there some change I should be thinking about?  Anyway, I've got Subway coupons to clip before the wife throws the Sunday paper out.
This one was GREAT! A classic!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:24 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:42 pm
I am actually having 2nd thoughts about it.  while initially it looked like a good idea I think in the scheme of things today and turning that 40 year corner it may not be the best idea.

I think a 10% stake in gold and utilizing a much less interest rate sensitive mix may be the  wiser choice.

I have been tracking a model I was thinking of using the last few weeks and it has stood up much better as well as not counting on disaster to do its catching up . I will be happy to post it if anyone would like to see  it.

I have loved the concept of the pp for decades  so I am a little bummed out by my gut feeling about it at this point in the big picture of things.

I think it may have been great in its day but like all things nothing holds true for ever.

I kind of feel like when you try to duplicate a time back in history when you hook up with old friends and it just doesn't go as you expected 40 years later

mathjak,

It looks like after being in the Permanent Portfolio for barely two weeks you starting doubting it?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:26 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:11 pm
stuper1 wrote: Mathjak107,

I would like to see your model.
so the final version i decided on is a mix of active and etf .

the version as it stands now :

fidelity growth and income fund FDGRX - had this and blue chip growth for many many years.

fidelity blue chip growth FBGRX

vanguard total market index vti

vanguard veu all world index etf

vanguard vig dividend achievers etf

that is the equity side.

the bond side uses

vanguard admiral total bond fund (now only 10% of the portfolio)

fidelity floating rate high yield

vanguard bsv short term bond

vanguard vtip short term inflation proof bond etf

10% GLD GOLD ETF

10% CASH which represents 2 years of retirement withdrawals and some emergency money.

i toyed and toyed with so many different models until i came up with a mix of what i thought would cover the areas i wanted to cover with as little interest rate sensitivity as i could which is why i left reits out of the portfolio at this stage.

if inflation picks up i will swap total bond for a real return fund like fidelity strategic real return FSRRX . that carrys to much weight in areas geared for higher inflation to be used at this stage in my opinion.

the model works out to 50% in equities , 30% bonds , 10% gold 10% cash

And, how has the above evolved over nearly five years?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:31 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:56 am
barrett wrote: mathjak, Are you unwinding your PP then? Just curious. You seemed to like it a couple of weeks ago.

Have enjoyed many of your posts on here.
yes ,  I did it today.

I made the change before I got to far behind.  I think for being as close to retirement as I am it was bad timing trying the pp.

I think pp may work and I could be wrong but I wasn't happy the way the current environment was interacting at this point in time .

to close for comfort . but I still enjoy  talking about the pp and I think I will always have a certain fondness for it.
mathak,

Your official confirming pronouncement that you were leaving the Permanent Portfolio...

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:45 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:42 am
MachineGhost wrote:
MediumTex wrote: i really abandoned the pp because after watching the bond action i did not want to place such a big bet on rates at this point with the bond  market yield s trend being up lately for months  and stock market gains just squeaking out .
Earlier I did some volatility checking of bonds from 1925 to date and various subsets, especially the bond bear from 1946 to 1981 which had low rates at the outset comparable to today.  Unfortunately, it seems that monthly data really masks the volatility one would experience on a daily basis as I was getting low volatility values not in any way comparable to 1977 to date (13.09%).  Isn't it normal to annualize by multiplying the square root of a value by the standard deviation of the returns representing the sampled temporal interval?  i.e. 12 for monthly data?

I don't know what the answer to the bond conundrum is, but I do know one thing.  The 1970's is no longer representative because it was high rates increasing higher (minimal duration).  We're at 1940's low rates that are going to increase higher (maximum duration).  If anyone is not scared, they should be.

yep , unless we have some extended calamity betting to heavy on rates now can be betting against the house , fighting the fed and forgetting the trend is your friend.

these sayings are there for a reason.

in the financial world not making the money you could is akin to losing that money .

getting overly defensive and leaving a pile of money on the table just for the fear of fear is in effect losing that much.

don't forget this important fact.

you only get one shot at building up everything you need  for retirement .  to leave money on the table because of fear of some calamity you come up with in your head that may never come to be and likely won't  may be very dangerous to your wealth .

the accumulation stage is the time to try to go for that pedal to the metal approach . after all even 2008 recovered in 5 years.  trying to overly protect against the outside chance everything goes to crap can cost you dearly and odds are Armageddon isn't around the corner.

just something to think about if you are still years from retirement ..

the most important thing financial  i learned , i learned from jason zweig . (his dad was marty zweig -famed wall street week elf ) .

jason's book your money your brain taught me our brains are geared to sabotage us .

the brain hates losing money and when it stresses over real money it even uses different sections for reasoning  then it does when you hypothetically think about doing something .

so your brain will get you to take the safest path and throw reason after reason at you as to why you should not take  that more volatile path.

when i was debating buying in to that real estate venture which would cost more money than i even owned and had no guarantees , i was up night after night as my brain pounded me with every reason as to why i should not do this.

but reading jasons book i knew i was not being handed a rational decision.

so i bit the bullet , did the deal , borrowed more money than i ever dreamed i would and it was the best thing i ever did. 

it was a calculated risk but a risk. the first lease buy out of a tenant fetched 7 figures for the apartment and our share paid off the loans.  we still had 7 more apartments left and a 10% stake in the commercial lease rights to the building .

those lease rights were sold last year for the whopper of an amount , 18 million dollars .  we got 16 million cash and they are paying us out the other 2 million over 4 years .  we held a 10% stake in this deal.

this deal which cost us all of 500k to buy in turned out to be amazing.

but if i listened to my brain i never would have done it.

here is the story of our lease right sale if anyone cares to read it.

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/01/29/ ... r-for-18m/
mathjak's real estate sale!

mathjak. Are you named in that article?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:47 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:23 am
another point i want to bring up .

i told you i could talk about this stuff all day  ha ha ha  .

be careful when looking at all these charts and comparisons.

like comparing indexing to managed investing they are all strawman results that no one gets.

we all have different buy in points , sell points , rebalance points , we add money at different times and some even dollar cost average in.

few ever get anything resembling a posted year over year return.

even how you tax structure can wipe away any advantage's  lower expenses can have.

i am often reminded when i see charts and figures , of  grandma and her car buying days.

you have mr savvy investor  going in to buy a car.

he beats the  salesman into submission getting the lowest price he could . then he pounds the loan officer for the lowest possible financing.

3 years later he comes back and trades the car back in wholesale to the dealer.

on the other hand grandma walks in , pays top dollar for the car , gets a higher rate but sells the car privately for far more money.

grandma wins.

the fact is until all the pieces are figured in how something does in a chart has little bearing on what you did .

our models we used in the fidelity insight newsletter were not always funds that beat their index's . but by using funds through their sweet spots and trading them for better suited funds when the big picture changes  the funds working together beat their index's most of the time while individually they did not.

how you are doing is only unique to your own situation and not comparable to anyone else or anyone's charts and figures ..

you can have slightly more expensive funds , not the best allocations , or even have funds under perform a bit but a better retirement tax plan that allows you to draw a 6 figure income at near zero tax beats any boglehead any day.

i have a lot to say about retirement tax planning too but i will spare you all. 

remember too , i am not in the business , i am not a pro and these are just the opinions i have .

the funny thing is i have been quoted more times in the wall street journal than most people in the business and what the heck do i know.  lol
mathjak!!!!

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:43 pm

MediumTex wrote: i really abandoned the pp because after watching the bond action i did not want to place such a big bet on rates at this point with the bond  market yield s trend being up lately for months  and stock market gains just squeaking out .
MediumTex abandoned the PP at one point?

That's like... worse than the Beatles breaking up.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:17 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:10 pm
Tyler wrote:
Thu May 07, 2015 4:44 pm
My gold allocation is 100% IAU right now.  But I think holding some physical gold is a great idea and I plan to buy some in the future when rebalancing requires it. 
How are you currently doing your gold allocation?
Still happy with IAU. I still haven't gotten around to buying coins, although I think it's a fine idea.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:37 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:22 pm
There should be a poll done:

"Why did you change to the PP if you were in some other strategy?"

For those that didn't come upon this early or at the beginning of their investing life, I would suspect the highest response would be along the lines

"Because I was too heavily invested in stocks and got burned or couldn't handle the drawdowns without selling."

See the chart below for what was my major vehicle until late 2008, DODGX.  I started investing at the 1st arrow.  I made it through the circled area without bailing.  I bailed 100% at the 2nd arrow and started my precious metals/miners foray (uh huh).

If I would have stuck through and bought even more at the lows, I would have been more than fine now.  But I didn't, and I am pretty sure I couldn't if it happened again.

Cortopassi,

You aware of any subsequent poll being done here as you described above?

Vinny
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:48 am

Vinny, I can't remember what happened yesterday!

But here's an interesting update to the DODGX chart. Not much to show for the past ~5 years.

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:29 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:22 pm
glad you asked .  i am left handed and have diabetic neuropathy in my finger tips and toes . so i type with just one finger . the others are to sensitive to use for as much as i type. so all you see  i post is typed with just one finger.

the good news is i have the diabetes under control with no meds . just diet , weight lifting and running 4 miles every other day non stop .

at 62 this just aint fun  .    lol 
The above was in response to mathjak having been asked: "And also, what do you have against capital letters?"

Until now, I'd oftentimes wondered myself.

The above was his response. Now that I know why I give my public admiration for mathjak doing so much in spite of his affliction.

mathjak! Has this improved, worsened, stayed the same since you wrote the above? I do remember fairly recently you told us that it was NOT an impediment for you drumming?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:32 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:58 am
Mark Leavy wrote: This is the most informative 24 hours I've ever read in a forum.  Post after post of good solid information and opinion.  I've never seen this anywhere else - at this level of intelligence and without belligerence.
i agree , i am amazed at the level of respect and civilness folks have when they disagree . you do not see this anywhere else .
If there was a graph of the Forum's effectiveness.....the above date seems to have been one of its high points?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:55 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:09 am

by the way , i still cannot believe how civil everyone is to someone who hasn't drank the kool-aid    ha ha ha .  you do not see civil discussions like this any where else when someone bucks the forum ideology.

but that shows everyone really is interested in learning other views which brings up an interesting point

From all the old Topics I've read in the Forum I've learned that there were many who did not share mathjak's opinion above! But as I just wrote earlier, if there was a graph of the effectiveness of the graph, this time period (however defined) had to have been one of its high points.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:57 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:53 am
the point is the biggest obstacle to one's financial success is THEY NEVER SLEEP WITH THE ENEMY.

most folks like bogleheads as an example only hang out with , read  and support the views that coincide with their own.

they never get in to the enemy's head to learn what they know.

the wise person does exactly the opposite.  they infiltrate that enemy camp  and learn all there is about their side.

when you can walk away and argue for or against both sides just to play devils advocate only then do you know enough to make a decision about the subject.

i always hated insurance products  like annuities and whole life.

i had no idea how useful they can be in a retirement plan and how low cost immediate annuities were .

they can improve success rates by establishing a consistent base of income allowing less  equity's to have to be sold off and less power dry in low yielding bonds to achieve the same income goals.

that is another topic i learned by sleeping with the enemy and i can't even count how many times i switched sides over the years on everything from roth vs traditional ,  when to take social security , utilizing insurance products with your own investing  and long term care options as i learned more and more from the other side.

the fact i was profiled in money magazine quite a few years ago as well as fidelity investments magazine gave me the opportunity to see the views of the top pro's vs my own .  i went head to head against their team of pros as far as my long term plans  and it opened my eyes to the fact there is a whole other side to things that we do not  realize since each of us only knows what we know and can not  reason with the things we do not know in the mix.,

they totally reversed my thinking about self insuring for that long term care we discussed in another thread here.

as always i am happy to throw out my thoughts on any of those topics but i hate to go off topic  since after all this is the permanent portfolio forum and not the retirement forum .

but i will leave that to you all to decide what you want to throw out on the table for discussion.
I'd love to track down the two articles you reference above to read about you! Can you supply articles' names and dates?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:01 am

iwealth wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:23 am
On the bright side, at least in this forum, the people that complain most about the PP don't actually hold their entire portfolios in the 25/25/25/25 allocation. So yes, it'd appear that the rest are happy and/or not paying attention to the daily ebbs and flows.

There's not a single person around here that uses a 25/25/25/25 allocation that has lost money if they've held for longer than 12 months. What else can be said?
STILL a TRUE statement?

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:04 am

What do you think? Gold is coming back up. Stocks and long bonds have done great.
Maybe a few people who bailed between 12 and 24 mos?

Having said that, iwealth himself bailed. I was sorry to see him go. Awesome member. I believe he said "I don't get gold" and "I get stocks." Fair enough.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:18 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 pm
dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:22 pm
LC475 wrote: The Permanent Portfolio is as sound as ever.  Naysayers are always going to neigh. 
You can't always get what you want, but wild horses couldn't drag me away from the P.P.
I see that we have a Rolling Stones fan here!!!!

But can anyone explain to me the meaning of Trump playing "You Can't Always Get What You Want" at his rallies? In other words, what message is he trying to convey with that song?

I also see dissonance between the messages at the rallies for conservatives and the lyrics of some of the rock songs that they play at them. I always wonder am I the only one who is perplexed how anyone can choose those songs to be played?

Vinny
And, now I'm further perplexed as I have the March For Life Rally on (via C-Span) and the first song that they play is "Play With Fire" by The Rolling Stones. And, they have now followed it up with "Simple The Best" by Tina Turner. I guess I'm missing the tie in with the songs' lyrics to the Rally's purpose. Seems that there are far more appropriate songs to be played?

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:43 pm

Since Tex isn’t here to speak for himself, can anyone elaborate on this?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:48 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:34 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

I think I did not handle the deleting the quotes correctly. Therefore, I believe that was NOT Medium Tax speaking (or writing) but was, instead, mathjak.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:49 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:48 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

I think I did not handle the deleting the quotes correctly. Therefore, I believe that was NOT Medium Tax speaking (or writing) but was, instead, mathjak.

Vinny
lol okay that makes sense. It didn't look like Tex's writing, and I could find that particular sentence in his post history.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:49 pm
vnatale wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

Vinny
lol okay that makes sense. It didn't look like Tex's writing, and I could find that particular sentence in his post history.
You actually had ME going for awhile. I said to myself how could I have NOT noticed Medium Tex writing something like THAT!

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:55 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

Vinny
You actually had ME going for awhile. I said to myself how could I have NOT noticed Medium Tex writing something like THAT!

Vinny
****couldn’t find

Lol yeah!! Honestly, it was kind of heartbreaking for a moment there thinking he said that.

It was like reading that Steve jobs interview from way back when, when he said computers weren’t changing the world.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:09 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm
vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:55 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

Vinny

Vinny
****couldn’t find

Lol yeah!! Honestly, it was kind of heartbreaking for a moment there thinking he said that.

It was like reading that Steve jobs interview from way back when, when he said computers weren’t changing the world.
If you go back to page 64 of the Topic (this one) you'll see BOTH Medium Tex and Craig chiming in with some quite humorous posts!

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:45 pm

The cellphone text style lack of punctuation and capitalization indicates mathjak. He has — I forgot the medical word — neuropathy? — a problem with his fingertips which may not affect drumming but it does make typing uncomfortable(?) Do I have that right, MJ?
RIP Marcello Gandini
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:25 am

yes ...it is from un-diagnosed diabetes