Signatures

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Signatures

Post by WiseOne » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks for posting that, tech! Very well written survey of the literature...I keep forgetting that actual facts are generally not well translated into news articles or sound bites.

A gun for self-defense simply isn't an option in NYC, although moving out is probably what I'd do if it got to the point where a gun became a necessity. However, self-defense classes might be a good idea...looking into those.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:46 pm

There are Taekwondo and Judo gyms right down the street from my house. This discussion has me thinking that I should get back into it. The practical skills learned aside, it's also great fun!

WiseOne, reading your comment about a particularly vulnerable area made me wince and cross my legs. ;D :o

If I ever meet you in person I'm wearing a cup.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:56 pm

Don't leave out Cobra Kai. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:45 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 am
Thanks for posting that, tech! Very well written survey of the literature...I keep forgetting that actual facts are generally not well translated into news articles or sound bites.

A gun for self-defense simply isn't an option in NYC, although moving out is probably what I'd do if it got to the point where a gun became a necessity. However, self-defense classes might be a good idea...looking into those.
I suspect that a lot of people ignore such unconstitutional laws. And it’s even possible that the Supreme Court will actually figure out what infringed means in the current gun control case they are hearing this term.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:09 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:46 pm
There are Taekwondo and Judo gyms right down the street from my house. This discussion has me thinking that I should get back into it. The practical skills learned aside, it's also great fun!

WiseOne, reading your comment about a particularly vulnerable area made me wince and cross my legs. ;D :o

You'd be safer yet if you didn't try to mug me :-)

But, you could certainly use that technique yourself if you were ever in a bad situation, right?? Except that it's theory and I have no idea how I'd manage it in practice.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:36 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:09 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:46 pm

You'd be safer yet if you didn't try to mug me :-)

But, you could certainly use that technique yourself if you were ever in a bad situation, right?? Except that it's theory and I have no idea how I'd manage it in practice.
But your gold bullion looked so shiny!! ;D

Yeah, as a kid I read Bruce Lee’s The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, and it had some awfully painful looking drawings of attacks to the groin.

:o :o :o
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:55 am

Tyler wrote
Mechanical engineer, history buff, treasure manager... totally not Ben Gates
I watched some of National Treasure — or the sequel actually — being filmed in Philly as we ran into the scene walking back from Chinatown. Fun! I think Sean Bean was the only real actor there. Everyone else was a stunt double.

It’s funny that you wrote treasure manager. I sometimes consider printing up a business card that reads TREASURE STEWARD.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:54 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:15 am
dualstow wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:37 pm
Is anyone successfully using Veracrypt in MacOS Catalina?
Never used Veracrypt, but I am not impressed how Catalina broke a crap ton of my third party apps.

My fault really -- I should have read reviews on how Catalina's 64-bit nature would break many 32-bit games in particular.
Hmm. Good to know, although I barely have any third party apps on my Mac. I have learned that they get broken so I don't always upgrade, and since I don't play videogames it's easy to keep apps to a minimum. Telegram is all I need.

I went from Snow Leopard and Mavericks to Sierra and High Sierra and have been resisting going further, perhaps until I have new hardware. However, I want to back up an iPad mini before replacing it, and I just read that Catalina OS lets you use Finder to back up instead of iTunes.

I hate iTunes so much that I am willing to give up Veracrypt O0 and just create DMG files if I have to. There's also the chance that I'll still be able to use Veracrypt and create new containers. I just won't be able to access old ones, so I'll have to copy encrypted files to plaintext.

Do you like Catalina aside from the broken 3rd party apps, or is that like asking Mrs Lincoln how the play was? O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:36 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:40 am
dualstow wrote:I've often thought Tim Pool's way of speaking sounds like Chris Wallace, and they're both from Chicago. Is that one kind of Chicago accent?
There is no such thing as a 'Chicago accent'. The issue is that everyone from roughly this area has a thick accent and thinks the rest of the country sounds funny. O0 ;D

Code: Select all

accent.jpg
:D For the Chicago accent, I usually think of people who sound like this guy:
https://youtu.be/IQpj2iJSIsY?t=6
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:07 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:54 am
I went from Snow Leopard and Mavericks to Sierra and High Sierra and have been resisting going further, perhaps until I have new hardware. However, I want to back up an iPad mini before replacing it, and I just read that Catalina OS lets you use Finder to back up instead of iTunes.

I hate iTunes so much that I am willing to give up Veracrypt O0 and just create DMG files if I have to. There's also the chance that I'll still be able to use Veracrypt and create new containers. I just won't be able to access old ones, so I'll have to copy encrypted files to plaintext.

Do you like Catalina aside from the broken 3rd party apps, or is that like asking Mrs Lincoln how the play was? O0
I've had no issues with the current release of Catalina. A couple of minor ones on the initial release. I have no 32bit apps though. Catalina has a few improvements vs. High Sierra or Mojave but nothing earth shattering in my opinion. I think most of the changes are undercover such as improved security. Backing up iPhones to my MacBook Pro using Finder works flawlessly and easily, as did backing up to iTunes with earlier MacOS releases. I also back up my iPhones to iCloud. I think iCloud is pretty secure so I don't worry about using encryption apps beyond what MacOS does to secure the info. I tend to update MacOS promptly with every release to keep up with the security updates - worth it in my case to deal with the usually very minor bugs.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:15 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:07 am
Backing up iPhones to my MacBook Pro using Finder works flawlessly and easily, as did backing up to iTunes with earlier MacOS releases. I also back up my iPhones to iCloud. I think iCloud is pretty secure so I don't worry about using encryption apps beyond what MacOS does to secure the info.
Thank you, Sir. I primarily use veracrypt to keep an offline password list and some journal (diary) files.
I copied some passwords to a USB drive last year and lost the drive on an Amtrak train or a cab, so they're out there. :P
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:59 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:44 am
LOL Scientific research backing my claims:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fepgtXjFo7Q
I love the top comment from OwnageCubed.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:16 pm

dualstow wrote:

Heh, I've personally found Catalina to be no practical improvement over its predecessor. I'm sure there are features and improvements, but I honestly couldn't tell you what they were without looking them up.

The big three things I've noticed have all been degradations for my particular setup:

1) Catalina crashes every time I put my computer to sleep with an external monitor attached.
2) It breaks 32-bit apps, in particular my games
3) It's slower than its predecessor. It takes fewer open apps and windows to bog down the system. Catalina appears to be a bigger RAM hog. (And not in the "we're just pre-caching your apps" way, but the bogging down way.)

On the bright side, it appears Microsoft has really stepped up their game. And we all know windows machines are cheaper generally, which is great. Their OS has reliability that appears to be more or less on par with MacOS now, and they're embracing Linux!

I'll probably make a switch for my next machine. These prices are nuts!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:42 pm

Well, you’ve given me something to ponder here. I’m no rush to go back to Windows (left after XP, which I liked), but I think I should stick with the very capable High Sierra OS for now. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

Maybe I’ll just back up using iTunes as Mountaineer did and continue to enjoy Veracrypt.

Thanks, guys.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:15 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:16 pm
dualstow wrote:

Heh, I've personally found Catalina to be no practical improvement over its predecessor. I'm sure there are features and improvements, but I honestly couldn't tell you what they were without looking them up.

The big three things I've noticed have all been degradations for my particular setup:

1) Catalina crashes every time I put my computer to sleep with an external monitor attached.
2) It breaks 32-bit apps, in particular my games
3) It's slower than its predecessor. It takes fewer open apps and windows to bog down the system. Catalina appears to be a bigger RAM hog. (And not in the "we're just pre-caching your apps" way, but the bogging down way.)

On the bright side, it appears Microsoft has really stepped up their game. And we all know windows machines are cheaper generally, which is great. Their OS has reliability that appears to be more or less on par with MacOS now, and they're embracing Linux!

I'll probably make a switch for my next machine. These prices are nuts!
I doubt I would ever buy a Mac.

As for other OSs, I am developing my ThreeMisses C++ library for both Linux and Windows, because those two OSs have over 90% of the server market. I work primarily in Windows, mostly due to Visual Studio, which is far superior to any IDE on Linux.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:51 am

ThreeMisses?
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:42 pm
Well, you’ve given me something to ponder here. I’m no rush to go back to Windows (left after XP, which I liked), but I think I should stick with the very capable High Sierra OS for now. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

Maybe I’ll just back up using iTunes as Mountaineer did and continue to enjoy Veracrypt.

Thanks, guys.
I also liked XP, Windows 7 even more, and Windows 10 is the best. I currently use computers that, between them, run all three operating systems.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:38 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:30 am
vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am

I also liked XP, Windows 7 even more, and Windows 10 is the best. I currently use computers that, between them, run all three operating systems.

Vinny
So you're not concerned with alleged security issues of running out of service OS? Anyone else want to share an opinion? I replaced the computers at work with Win10 as they were running slow and near death anyway, but the one at home running Win7 works great and I would hate to replace it until I have to if the 'risk' is not great.
Security Issues is why I stopped using Windows.
For Home use I use a Linux Distro on a pen drive. Unfortunately you can not run certain programs, but for the most part I just it for Internet/Email.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:31 am

MangoMan wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
So you're not concerned with alleged security issues of running out of service OS? Anyone else want to share an opinion? I replaced the computers at work with Win10 as they were running slow and near death anyway, but the one at home running Win7 works great and I would hate to replace it until I have to if the 'risk' is not great.
The XP one I rarely connect to the internet and mainly use to make endless backups on various external hard drives.

My office computer is the only Windows 7 computer I currently use. And, support for Windows 7 just ended in the last few weeks? That computer is going to soon be replaced by a Windows 10 computer but I will then replace the Windows XP computer with that Windows 7 computer as a secondary computer.

I find I can get more work done if I offload some of the work to a second computer. There are some things I do - like when dropbox is running, when copying files - that consume tons of computer resources, causing the computer to crawl. Therefore, I work on another computer while those tasks are working.

But to get back to your last question.....I don't have great fears of the risk. Plus, all my files (which are my most important computer related items) are backed up many, many, many times. Therefore, in the worst case, I'd reformat the hard drive, re-install all my programs, and get back to work -- since all my files are elsewhere --- generally in dropbox, on external hard drives, or, for the most important files, in both places.

Finally, you might be able to upgrade your Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 for free under the Windows Insider program. I did that with one or two computers.

Vinny

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:10 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:51 am
ThreeMisses?
www.threemisses.com
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:11 am

vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Thanks, guys.

Vinny
More than one per computer?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:11 am

MangoMan wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
I would upgrade. I think the security risk is real.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:55 am

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:09 pm

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:55 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:11 am
I would upgrade. I think the security risk is real.
I agree, plus the upgrade to Win10 is free.
I believe it was free for only the first year of its release. Now the only way I know of getting it for free is to go through the Windows Insider program.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:11 am
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Thanks, guys.

Vinny
More than one per computer?
No

The way I first wrote it I saw that it could be interpreted that way. Then I went back and added the "between them" to hopefully make it clearer that I had at least one computer running one of the programs but not all three on any.

Back in the old days when Windows was regularly dying the first thing I'd do with a new computer would be to install Windows 95, 98, ME and install all my programs in each operating system so in case one of the operating systems died, I could just continue working by jumping to another operating system.

Vinny