PP vs Dividend Growth Investing

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP vs Dividend Growth Investing

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:42 pm

I liked joe Walsh better with the James gang I am not really an eagles fan but they do sell a lot of albums

I think the most in history. Got six minutes to the train comes. I have to get ready to embarrass my wife
I always jump up and down when it gets here. It is about 25 minutes to Manhattan
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:09 pm

Love the Eagles. So many talents in one band - they are a supergroup!
I also loved their playful rivalry with Steely Dan.

Hope Mathjak is having a good time.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:33 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:42 pm
I liked joe Walsh better with the James gang I am not really an eagles fan but they do sell a lot of albums

I think the most in history. Got six minutes to the train comes. I have to get ready to embarrass my wife
I always jump up and down when it gets here. It is about 25 minutes to Manhattan
When first read here about you going to see the Eagles, I was wondering what sports team are the Eagles!??!

It was not until I got to this post did I realize you were referring to THOSE Eagles!

And, on top of that, while I was reading all of this Hotel California is playing in my headphones-- their signature song after Joe Walsh joined them.

I agree in much preferring The James Band over The Eagles. The band I managed did an extended version of The James Gang, Funk 49, throwing a few other cover songs into it. It was always the highlight song of the set.

My Eagles story.

I saw them in the summer of 1973 in one of those small theaters that also had rock band shows.

They opened for The J. Geils Band. We were all there to see the J. Geils Band and just about the whole crowd had never heard of The Eagles. Their type of music was not what would please a J. Geils Band crowd. Nowhere the unrelenting energy.

Therefore, all while they were playing, people in the audience kept shouting, "J. Geils!"

At one point it got so frustrating for The Eagles that their lead guitarist (I think or another one of them for certain) pleadingly said, "GIve us a chance!" Shortly after they played their only song that had even a modicum of excitement in it (by J. Geils standards) and the crowd finally cheered for them.

When The J. Geils Band came on they, of course, completely blew away The Eagles (as we all knew would happen). After the show I picked up a hitchhiker. I asked him if he's been at the show. He said, "Yes". I asked him what he thought about The Eagles. He said, "Oh. You mean the pigeons??!!"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought that so perfectly summed up how The Eagles came across that night to a J. Geils Band crowd - TOTAL lightweights!

Of course, was I shocked when two years later The same Eagles were now headlining HUGE arenas. Would NEVER have predicted or foreseen that from that summer 1973 show!

And, to circle back to The J. Geils Band.

Three members of the band went to Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) , where they all met. J. Geils, Magic Dick and the bass player.

First time I had interaction with the band was when I interviewed Peter Wolf, J. Geils, and the keyboard player on the radio (I was a college DJ on the WPI radio station and they'd just finished playing in the room below the station). That night I found out why the keyboard player's nickname was The Sphinx -- he never said a single word during the entire interview.

Second time I had interaction with the band was when they played at a beach club. This was about a month after the above. I went up to Peter Wolf and said, "Remember me?" He said, "Oh, yeah. You were here last time." I said, "No. I interviewed you on the radio last month." He said, "Oh, year. I'm going to change and then I'll come back and rap with you." That was the last I saw of him that night.

Tried to talk to Magic Dick but he'd never look at me, just grunting out one word answers to my questions.

Finally, J. Geils was the same nice guy he always was. He was a few years or so older than me.

My WPI class was the first year that ROTC was NOT mandatory.

I asked him how he had dealt with ROTC because it was mandatory when he was there. He said, "They gave me the shirt, I cut off the sleeves, and I never went!" !!!!!!!!!!!

My third and last time I met him was when myself and a few others were at his apartment, trying to sell him a first year issue Les Paul (an expensive and highly desirable guitar--we were trying to get at least $1,000 for it nearly 50 years ago). It was a week or so after the closing of the Fillmore East, which he had been at, and he was saying things to us like, "You should have seen the guitar that Duane Allman was playing."

Aside from him being a totally nice person and regular person the only other thing I remember was that he had a huge record collection like I did. Except there was almost no intersection between our collections. Just about all his records were blues records. His band's original name was The J. Geils BLUES Band).

I"m guessing I've seen the J.Geils Band in the 10 times neighborhood. The first time I saw them was also the first time I saw Ten Years After. J. Geils and Alvin Lee are both up there in my all-time favorite guitarists. Too bad that they both not that long ago both died too young. However, each of their music playings will last for eternity.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:38 pm

Interesting stories.
I love Alvin Lee.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:50 pm

They are taking an intermission. Fabulous harmony They have about a 50 piece orchestra. The garden is huge but they sound nice and powerful. All the seats have tv screens I like them a lot more than I expected
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:58 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:38 pm
Interesting stories.
I love Alvin Lee.
More Alvin Lee / Ten Years After memories.

When I saw both them and The J. Geils Band for the first time ever at that show it was in a small gym at Assumption College in Worcester. At that point I don't think I've ever heard a Ten Years After record and J.Geils had not yet made their first one.

But shortly after the Woodstock movie came out. For me, Ten Years After was one of the three stars of it (the other two being The Who and Santana).

And, shortly after seeing the Woodstock movie, I got to see Ten Years After again. This time it was in Boston at a small but iconic club called The Boston Tea Party. It was actually across the street from the "Green Monster" wall of Fenway Park.

This time we were so excited to see Ten Years After that we showed up at 3:30 for an 8:30 show to make certain we'd be one of the closest to the stage. Those first two shows were in 1970. Saw them few more times afterward. Last saw the whole band again in 1999 in New Hampshire. They were as excellent that night as they were in 1970.

Did see Ten Years After sometime last decade but it was without Alvin Lee. It just did not make economic sense for him to make the trip to the United States. It was different with a young guitarist who did not try to be him but was himself good.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:57 am

Not gonna lie. I had to Google Alvin Lee. I'm so out of the loop.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:24 am

alvin was so fast , but not very tasteful as a guitarist in my opinion ..

joe walsh last night was amazing .. the eagles did a lot of james gang . not only did they have a 50 piece orchestra but they had a choir and a horn section for the james gang stuff .

no wonder the tickets were so expensive .. two tickets were 600 bucks . we wanted to kill the kids for getting us them . plus these were the cheaper seats . if it wasn't for the tv screens we had at the seats they would have looked like dots on stage . there were 21,000 seats and everyone was filled ..

this was the 3rd night there and during the week .. to sell out like that at these prices is amazing
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:50 am

Joe Walsh is better than most, although I admit that when he was my avatar a couple months ago it was because of the other Joe Walsh in the news.

By the way scratch my “I love Alvin Lee” post. I was thinking of Albert King. O0 BB’s lesser known “brother.“ Born Under a Bad Sign.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:56 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:57 am
Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YB7qyn5MVs

This is what brought him to United States national music consciousness regarding Ten Years After and him.

And, when I was the college DJ, I'd always close my show with this exact recording ("I'm Going Home!")

Vinny
Last edited by vnatale on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:58 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:24 am

joe walsh last night was amazing .. the eagles did a lot of james gang . not only did they have a 50 piece orchestra but they had a choir and a horn section for the james gang stuff .

no wonder the tickets were so expensive .. two tickets were 600 bucks . we wanted to kill the kids for getting us them . plus these were the cheaper seats . if it wasn't for the tv screens we had at the seats they would have looked like dots on stage . there were 21,000 seats and everyone was filled ..

this was the 3rd night there and during the week .. to sell out like that at these prices is amazing
You ever listened to this one? After you have tell me if you hold to the same opinion as expressed above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-cETCFdrD0

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:01 am

mathjak107 wrote:

I would not like it as a musical experience. I see quite good local bands at almost next to nothing prices and I am many times leaning against the stage. Far more intimate experience than what you are describing. Plus, I'm allowed to take as many pictures as I want. I'll bet you were NOT allowed to bring in any of your camera equipment to last night's show.

Vinny
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Actually photography was allowed with no flash. No video allowed
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:08 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:58 am
mathjak107 wrote:

You ever listened to this one? After you have tell me if you hold to the same opinion as expressed above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-cETCFdrD0

Vinny
On our way back from photographing the orchid show at ny botanical gardens so I will listen later Waiting for lunch on Arthur ave It is the Bronx version of little Italy in Manhattan
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:29 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:05 pm
How can one even tell these days? Don't need a camcorder to record video.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:11 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:56 am
Smith1776 wrote:

This is what brought him to United States national music consciousness regarding Ten Years After and him.

And, when I was the college DJ, I'd always close my show with this exact recording ("I'm Going Home!")

Vinny
I Saw him at Woodstock and later on at The Fillmore ...
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:11 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:29 pm
mathjak107 wrote:
They can’t tell ..everyone was videoing it ....
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:27 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:29 pm
mathjak107 wrote:
True. A few years I was using my camera to take pictures of the band NRBQ. While I was doing so someone associated with the band came up to me and said no video allowed. I told him that I only do pictures, no video. He said that the way I was holding my camera looked like I was doing video (since I take A LOT of pictures, many times over 1,000 in a day, I'm oftentimes looking through my camera's viewfinder). I offered to show him what I'd taken but he let it go at that.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:28 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:11 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:56 am
Smith1776 wrote:

Vinny
I Saw him at Woodstock and later on at The Fillmore ...
I would have loved to have been able to say the same!

Vinny
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:18 pm

So khc now has its bonds falling below investment grade and in to the junk bond index’s ......

That is a big problem..... not only will their costs of borrowing sky rocket while they owe 20 some odd billion dollars but now pension funds ,insurance companies and all institutions that can only own investment grade bonds must dump them ....that is going to really put pressure on the company ...but don’t worry , the dividend is still being paid. Ha ha ha
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Mathjak, I don't know who you think you're laughing at, but nobody here said that all dividend payers are great investments. So you're patting yourself on the back (again) for being smarter than nobody. Congratulations!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:29 pm

Mathjak, you've been shadow boxing against an invisible opponent for this entire thread. ???
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:42 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:29 pm
Mathjak, you've been shadow boxing against an invisible opponent for this entire thread. ???
And continued even after the truce... We were talking no nicely about pizza and whatever else for a while too.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:43 pm

I am used to shadow boxing alone , my wife baby sits a lot .....oh man she just finished a 10 day stint baby sitting ....the food was great , I was bringing in all kinds of stuff , the sex was about the same , maybe better , but the dishes were a tip off she wasn’t here .....I use paper for everything..I won’t dare eat off anything I wash until it is professionally cleaned.

The only way she would let me eat the rib platter I brought home was if they used Lipitor as a dry rub. Lol
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:51 pm

Anyway getting back to khc , this is something that I think is going to really magnify the next down turn .

More than half of all non govt debt is BBB ... that has been the sweet spot for bond investing...it pays the most yet it is still investment grade .

Well , if we have a slow down and credit ratings get down graded just one notch , all these funds ,insurers , pension funds and endowments that can only buy investment grade bonds will have to dump them .....there will be little buyers of junk in a recession and this my friends will be a huge problem for the credit markets and financing for all these companies who owe billions.

It will be like a stock getting bumped from an index and all the funds have to dump it killing the prices