Ok, everyone, time to go Treasury-only MMFs

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Ok, everyone, time to go Treasury-only MMFs

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:46 am

Fidelity has FDLXX, which contains only T-Bills and Treasury coupons.
You can keep all your cash in it even though it isn't eligible to be a core account; you just have to buy and sell it when you need money.
I've just entered orders to do that at the open.
The money markets are going to be in turmoil.

Stay safe.

(Edited because apparently it doesn't trade intra-day. However, you can still withdraw funds and they will sell whatever is needed at the end of the day.)
Last edited by Libertarian666 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Ok, everyone, time to go Treasury-only MMFs

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:59 am

I did move all of my muni bonds and prime mm into treasury mm this morning.
Just because.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:04 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:59 am
Just because.
Which specific fund did you go into it? The symbol for it? Your message here I prompting me to want to do the same right now.

Not happy that when I called Vanguard I got busy signals three straight calls in a row!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:08 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:04 am
dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:59 am
Just because.
Which specific fund did you go into it? The symbol for it? Your message here I prompting me to want to do the same right now.

Not happy that when I called Vanguard I got busy signals three straight calls in a row!

Vinny
I am presently in Prime and this one - Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund (VMFXX).

I want to change any of those into this one: Vanguard Treasury Money Market Fund (VUSXX).

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:24 am

That's it. 0011 a.k.a. VUSXX

I had recently abandoned it (leaving a small piece in) to buy my own T-Bills but right now I'll just take the convenience.
Note that you cannot use this as your settlement fund. So far, when I sell shares I see the money in my settlement fund the next day.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:29 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:24 am

I had recently abandoned it (leaving a small piece in) to buy my own T-Bills but right now I'll just take the convenience.
Note that you cannot use this as your settlement fund. So far, when I sell shares I see the money in my settlement fund the next day.
I just spent over an hour making as many switches as I could. I have one non-retirement account with Vanguard and then eight (!!) varied retirement accounts with them.

Any Prime fund holdings under $50,000 were put in the federal fund. Any Prime and existing federal fund over $50,000 were put into the Treasury fund.

The first retirement fund exchange gave me a scare because I was afraid I'd accidentally sold it out of my retirement account and into my non-retirement account.

That led to me to review all I'd done at least three times and to document it all at least twice.

One of the transfers, though, only is showing me that I sold. It's not allowing me to show me that I bought into the federal fund. Perhaps because I was changing settlement funds?

Oh. A MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR thank you, Dualstow! You WERE my DIRECT impetus for doing this. I have TREMENDOUS inertia when it comes to the simplest things like this (though, maybe, not so simple given that it took over an hour to execute, verify, and document all). Shortly after I saw your post about what you'd done, I told myself, "You should do this." Then shortly after, "You need to get this done today.". Then shortly later, "This IS important for you to get done today! Do it NOW!"

Glad that I've met you through here, Dualstow! Getting me to do something like this (even though that was NOT your intention) is close to a miracle! You WERE the catalyst!

Thanks again.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:42 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:29 pm
dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:24 am

I just spent over an hour making as many switches as I could. I have one non-retirement account with Vanguard and then eight (!!) varied retirement accounts with them.

Any Prime fund holdings under $50,000 were put in the federal fund. Any Prime and existing federal fund over $50,000 were put into the Treasury fund.

The first retirement fund exchange gave me a scare because I was afraid I'd accidentally sold it out of my retirement account and into my non-retirement account.

That led to me to review all I'd done at least three times and to document it all at least twice.

One of the transfers, though, only is showing me that I sold. It's not allowing me to show me that I bought into the federal fund. Perhaps because I was changing settlement funds?

Oh. A MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR thank you, Dualstow! You WERE my DIRECT impetus for doing this. I have TREMENDOUS inertia when it comes to the simplest things like this (though, maybe, not so simple given that it took over an hour to execute, verify, and document all). Shortly after I saw your post about what you'd done, I told myself, "You should do this." Then shortly after, "You need to get this done today.". Then shortly later, "This IS important for you to get done today! Do it NOW!"

Glad that I've met you through here, Dualstow! Getting me to do something like this (even though that was NOT your intention) is close to a miracle! You WERE the catalyst!

Thanks again.

Vinny
I meant to add that until when I go Permanent Portfolio this leaves me effectively with a barbell. My equity investments have remained unchanged from when I made them in January 2003 (no new investments since). All new investments since then went into Vanguard Prime money market fund or the federal money market fund. Now all those Prime money market fund and federal money market investments are sitting in what is about Vanguard's safest money market fund investments - either the federal or the treasury.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:55 pm

It's tech's thread, but I'm happy that I played a small role.
I look forward to the day that things are calmer and perhaps I can buy those less safe investments again.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:22 pm

A good chunk of my cash at Vanguard is in the Federal MMF as my settlement fund, and now I'm wondering if I should move it to the Treasury MMF.

Here are the current holdings of the Federal MMF (VMFXX). Looks like only 32.3% is in Treasuries and 18.7% is in the ailing repo market:

Code: Select all

Bankers Acceptances	0.0%
Certificates of Deposit	0.0%
Other	0.0%
Repurchase Agreements	18.7%
U.S. Commercial Paper	0.0%
U.S. Govt. Obligations	49.0%
U.S. Treasury Bills	32.3%
Yankee/Foreign	0.0%
Total	100.0%
Normally I think, "At least the Federal MMF is safer than the Prime MMF," but in light of all the repo market turmoil... maybe that's not quite good enough?
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:22 pm
A good chunk of my cash at Vanguard is in the Federal MMF as my settlement fund, and now I'm wondering if I should move it to the Treasury MMF.

Here are the current holdings of the Federal MMF (VMFXX). Looks like only 32.3% is in Treasuries and 18.7% is in the ailing repo market:

Bankers Acceptances	0.0%
Other	0.0%
Yankee/Foreign	0.0%
Total	100.0%
Normally I think, "At least the Federal MMF is safer than the Prime MMF," but in light of all the repo market turmoil... maybe that's not quite good enough?
Personally I am not too worried about repo, as the Fed has been very active in ensuring any liquidity needed is provided. I can't picture them one day deciding to let the repo markets freeze up.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:37 pm

pmward wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:31 pm
Personally I am not too worried about repo, as the Fed has been very active in ensuring any liquidity needed is provided. I can't picture them one day deciding to let the repo markets freeze up.
So in MMFs, do you think commercial paper is the stuff with the highest likelihood of running into problems? I.e., "U.S. Commercial Paper" in the table I provided?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:43 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:55 pm
I look forward to the day that things are calmer and perhaps I can buy those less safe investments again.
He started it but you actually took ACTION! And, for me, it was DEFINITELY the catalyst. You played no small role but a HUGE role!

Thanks again!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:45 pm

Tortoise wrote:

Bankers Acceptances	0.0%
Other	0.0%
Yankee/Foreign	0.0%
Total	100.0%
In my binary way of looking at things...if I am investing for safety why not go for the ultimate safety under the current constraints I am under?

On this side of my barbell I'm not at all interested in return; strictly in safety.

Vinny
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:11 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:37 pm
pmward wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:31 pm
So in MMFs, do you think commercial paper is the stuff with the highest likelihood of running into problems? I.e., "U.S. Commercial Paper" in the table I provided?
Yes. I expect that federal repurchase agreements are going to be back by the Fed, just like treasuries would be backed by the treasury. But yeah I would absolutely avoid any commercial paper or corporate debt of any kind right now.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:17 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:43 pm
dualstow wrote:
He started it but you actually took ACTION! And, for me, it was DEFINITELY the catalyst. You played no small role but a HUGE role!

Thanks again!
I'm wonderful! 🦸‍♂️
O0
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:31 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:17 pm
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Thanks again!
I'm wonderful! 🦸‍♂️
O0
In this particular case you WERE! If you not written what you did I'd certainly NOT have done what I did today. I probably would have been thinking about it but would I have actually followed through?

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:51 pm

I’m going to take a vitamin C now. You may or may not wish to emulate...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:56 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:51 pm
I’m going to take a vitamin C now. You may or may not wish to emulate...
I have Vitamin C bottles less than an arm's length away! But they do say use by 10/07!!!!

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:44 pm

Tortoise wrote:

Bankers Acceptances	0.0%
Other	0.0%
Yankee/Foreign	0.0%
Total	100.0%
I would switch to as close to all-Treasurys as you can get.
We are in uncharted territory.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:45 pm

vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Thanks again!

Vinny
I actually took action to switch my funds, as I said in the original post.
But as long as you did the right thing, I don't care if I get the credit. :D
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:52 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:44 pm
Tortoise wrote:

Bankers Acceptances	0.0%
Other	0.0%
Yankee/Foreign	0.0%
Total	100.0%
Would an ultra short term Treasury ETF count, say SHV? I can't get VUSXX because I don't have the $50k minimum in cash in any one account.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:57 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:52 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

Bankers Acceptances	0.0%
Other	0.0%
Yankee/Foreign	0.0%
Total	100.0%
Would an ultra short term Treasury ETF count, say SHV? I can't get VUSXX because I don't have the $50k minimum in cash in any one account.
How about VFISX? That has a $3k minimum.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:04 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:57 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:52 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

Bankers Acceptances	0.0%
Other	0.0%
Yankee/Foreign	0.0%
Total	100.0%
How about VFISX? That has a $3k minimum.
VFISX is what I've been invested in since January 2003 (from an initial investment then). But I'm not considering it ultra-safe. If you cannot get into VUSXX because of the minimum (and I could not in some of the eight retirement accounts I have with Vanguard) my next best choice and what I used today was: Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund;Investor Fund: VMFXX.

Now you are making me think what am I doing keeping that investment in VFSIX. I've always considered that part of my "fixed" investment and since I wrote earlier that I'm favoring safety over return why am I not then also exchanging that to VUSXX?

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:16 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:04 pm
Now you are making me think what am I doing keeping that investment in VFSIX. I've always considered that part of my "fixed" investment and since I wrote earlier that I'm favoring safety over return why am I not then also exchanging that to VUSXX?
For "deep cash" (i.e., cash that you don't need to access quickly), why not go for the safest option of all: Directly-held T-bills?

The only significant cash I hold in an MMF is taxable savings that I may need to access within less than a year (e.g., emergency funds, renovation funds, new-car funds).
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:22 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:16 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:04 pm
For "deep cash" (i.e., cash that you don't need to access quickly), why not go for the safest option of all: Directly-held T-bills?

The only significant cash I hold in an MMF is taxable savings that I may need to access within less than a year (e.g., emergency funds, renovation funds, new-car funds).
Yes, exactly.