Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:57 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:52 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:44 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:22 pm
A good chunk of my cash at Vanguard is in the Federal MMF as my settlement fund, and now I'm wondering if I should move it to the Treasury MMF.

Here are the current holdings of the Federal MMF (VMFXX). Looks like only 32.3% is in Treasuries and 18.7% is in the ailing repo market:

Code: Select all

Bankers Acceptances	0.0%
Certificates of Deposit	0.0%
Other	0.0%
Repurchase Agreements	18.7%
U.S. Commercial Paper	0.0%
U.S. Govt. Obligations	49.0%
U.S. Treasury Bills	32.3%
Yankee/Foreign	0.0%
Total	100.0%
Normally I think, "At least the Federal MMF is safer than the Prime MMF," but in light of all the repo market turmoil... maybe that's not quite good enough?
I would switch to as close to all-Treasurys as you can get.
We are in uncharted territory.
Would an ultra short term Treasury ETF count, say SHV? I can't get VUSXX because I don't have the $50k minimum in cash in any one account.
How about VFISX? That has a $3k minimum.
VFISX is what I've been invested in since January 2003 (from an initial investment then). But I'm not considering it ultra-safe. If you cannot get into VUSXX because of the minimum (and I could not in some of the eight retirement accounts I have with Vanguard) my next best choice and what I used today was: Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund;Investor Fund: VMFXX.

Now you are making me think what am I doing keeping that investment in VFSIX. I've always considered that part of my "fixed" investment and since I wrote earlier that I'm favoring safety over return why am I not then also exchanging that to VUSXX?

Vinny
What's wrong with VFISX? It says 97% Government obligations, IIRC. Do you know more about its composition than that?
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Ok, everyone, time to go Treasury-only MMFs

Post by Tyler » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:48 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:46 am
Fidelity has FDLXX, which contains only T-Bills and Treasury coupons.
You can keep all your cash in it even though it isn't eligible to be a core account; you just have to buy and sell it when you need money.
I've just entered orders to do that at the open.
The money markets are going to be in turmoil.

Stay safe.
Thanks for the reminder. I just switched my Fidelity core position to FZFXX. It's maybe not as pure as FDLXX because it also depends on overnight repurchase agreements, but it's based on treasuries and is better than the default FCASH. I try not to let it build up to much before reinvesting it anyway, but it never hurts to reduce risk even to small positions.
Last edited by Tyler on Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Tyler wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:48 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
You can keep all your cash in it even though it isn't eligible to be a core account; you just have to buy and sell it when you need money.

Stay safe.
Thanks for the reminder. I just switched my Fidelity core position to FZFXX. It's maybe not as pure as FLDXX because it also depends on overnight repurchase agreements, but it's based on treasuries and is better than the default FCASH. I try not to let it build up to much before reinvesting it anyway, but it never hurts to reduce risk even to small positions.
I entered an order to buy FDLXX with my FCASH position. It didn't get executed at the close. I called Fidelity and got disconnected after 15 minutes on hold.

Now I'm #56 in the queue on live chat. I hope this is just because they are behind due to volume and it will be done tonight.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:57 pm

Going from one fund to another with Fidelity usually happens later in the evening. If you have the app they will send you a notification when it goes through.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:12 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:23 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:04 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
stuper1 wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
Tortoise wrote:
A good chunk of my cash at Vanguard is in the Federal MMF as my settlement fund, and now I'm wondering if I should move it to the Treasury MMF.

Here are the current holdings of the Federal MMF (VMFXX). Looks like only 32.3% is in Treasuries and 18.7% is in the ailing repo market:

Bankers Acceptances	0.0%
Other	0.0%
Yankee/Foreign	0.0%
Total	100.0%
Normally I think, "At least the Federal MMF is safer than the Prime MMF," but in light of all the repo market turmoil... maybe that's not quite good enough?
Would an ultra short term Treasury ETF count, say SHV? I can't get VUSXX because I don't have the $50k minimum in cash in any one account.
VFISX is what I've been invested in since January 2003 (from an initial investment then). But I'm not considering it ultra-safe. If you cannot get into VUSXX because of the minimum (and I could not in some of the eight retirement accounts I have with Vanguard) my next best choice and what I used today was: Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund;Investor Fund: VMFXX.

Now you are making me think what am I doing keeping that investment in VFSIX. I've always considered that part of my "fixed" investment and since I wrote earlier that I'm favoring safety over return why am I not then also exchanging that to VUSXX?

Vinny
What's wrong with VFISX? It says 97% Government obligations, IIRC. Do you know more about its composition than that?
Sorry, I'd confused it with this one, which I do own: Vanguard Short-Term Investment-Grade Fund;Investor
Fund: VFSTX. One letter different in their symbols.

I go here: https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VFISX and see its description:
This fund invests in debt issued directly by the government in the form of Treasury bills. A key risk of the fund is the fact that changes in interest rates can eventually lead to a decrease in income for the fund. The fund has a reduced risk of default, since the bonds in the portfolio are backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government. Although short-term bond funds historically tend to have higher yields than money market funds, unlike money market funds, their share price fluctuates. Investors with short-term savings goals who are willing to accept some price movement may wish to consider this fund.

Compare it to VMFXX: https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VMFXX with this description:

Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund, which invests in U.S. government securities, seeks to provide current income and preserve shareholders’ principal investment by maintaining a share price of $1. As such it is considered one of the most conservative investment options offered by Vanguard. Although the fund invests in short-term U.S. government securities, the amount of income that a shareholder may receive will be largely dependent on the current interest rate environment. Investors who have a short-term savings goal and are interested in a fund that invests in securities issued by U.S. government agencies may wish to consider this option.

Comparing them, VFISX is a mutual fund with varying prices while VMFXX is a money market fund maintaining the $1 price. Also, its expense ratio is nearly half of that of VFISX.

If one wants safe money market performance then it seems VMFXX is the better choice?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:03 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:51 pm
Tyler wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:48 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:

Stay safe.
Thanks for the reminder. I just switched my Fidelity core position to FZFXX. It's maybe not as pure as FLDXX because it also depends on overnight repurchase agreements, but it's based on treasuries and is better than the default FCASH. I try not to let it build up to much before reinvesting it anyway, but it never hurts to reduce risk even to small positions.
I entered an order to buy FDLXX with my FCASH position. It didn't get executed at the close. I called Fidelity and got disconnected after 15 minutes on hold.

Now I'm #56 in the queue on live chat. I hope this is just because they are behind due to volume and it will be done tonight.
Ok, I finally got to the top of the chat list, and the guy said it should go through tonight. I should get confirmation tonight or tomorrow morning.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:06 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:12 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
stuper1 wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

Bankers Acceptances	0.0%
Other	0.0%
Yankee/Foreign	0.0%
Total	100.0%

Vinny
Sorry, I'd confused it with this one, which I do own: Vanguard Short-Term Investment-Grade Fund;Investor

I go here: https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VFISX and see its description:
This fund invests in debt issued directly by the government in the form of Treasury bills. A key risk of the fund is the fact that changes in interest rates can eventually lead to a decrease in income for the fund. The fund has a reduced risk of default, since the bonds in the portfolio are backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government. Although short-term bond funds historically tend to have higher yields than money market funds, unlike money market funds, their share price fluctuates. Investors with short-term savings goals who are willing to accept some price movement may wish to consider this fund.

Compare it to VMFXX: https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VMFXX with this description:

Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund, which invests in U.S. government securities, seeks to provide current income and preserve shareholders’ principal investment by maintaining a share price of $1. As such it is considered one of the most conservative investment options offered by Vanguard. Although the fund invests in short-term U.S. government securities, the amount of income that a shareholder may receive will be largely dependent on the current interest rate environment. Investors who have a short-term savings goal and are interested in a fund that invests in securities issued by U.S. government agencies may wish to consider this option.

Comparing them, VFISX is a mutual fund with varying prices while VMFXX is a money market fund maintaining the $1 price. Also, its expense ratio is nearly half of that of VFISX.

If one wants safe money market performance then it seems VMFXX is the better choice?

Vinny
I don't like the "Yankee/Foreign" component of VMFXX, and it comprises almost 62% of assets.
Does that sound like a US government investment to you?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:06 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:12 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
stuper1 wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

Bankers Acceptances	0.0%
Other	0.0%
Yankee/Foreign	0.0%
Total	100.0%

Vinny

Vinny
I don't like the "Yankee/Foreign" component of VMFXX, and it comprises almost 62% of assets.
Does that sound like a US government investment to you?
No. But I just checked and the current "Yankee / Foreign" holdings are 0%.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:15 pm

Wanted to point out that VUSXX isn't technically a pure Treasury MM fund. From the fund's description on Vanguard:

"The fund invests solely in high-quality, short-term money market securities whose interest and principal payments are backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government. Under normal circumstances, at least 80% of the fund’s assets will be invested in U.S. Treasury securities; the remainder of the assets may be invested in securities issued by U.S. governmental agencies."

I remembered this from Craig and MT's PP book. Same reason they don't like Vanguard's LTT fund. Too much leeway for the fund managers. iShares seems to be a better choice albeit no pure MM fund but they do have SHV. For sure direct ownership is best and Schwab at least now allows automatic rollovers of bills bought at auction. Paying any ER on money earning nothing is kinda difficult anyway.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Kevin K. wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:15 pm
..I remembered this from Craig and MT's PP book. Same reason they don't like Vanguard's LTT fund.
Although, I am 100% sure that somewhere in this forum, early days, Craig wrote the Vanguard long-term fund was good enough, while conceding that it was not pure.
EDIT: here’s one instance: viewtopic.php?t=3060#p41929

VUSXX money market:
I wrote to Vanguard when I saw that the yield wasn’t dropping very quickly and noticed the non-treasurys under the hood that you pointed out. Vanguard rep responded that they’re adhering to their mission statement.
I mostly bailed on the fund to roll my own t-bills, but during these plaguey times I just don’t want to deal with it.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:31 pm

Kevin K. wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:15 pm
Wanted to point out that VUSXX isn't technically a pure Treasury MM fund. From the fund's description on Vanguard:

"The fund invests solely in high-quality, short-term money market securities whose interest and principal payments are backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government. Under normal circumstances, at least 80% of the fund’s assets will be invested in U.S. Treasury securities; the remainder of the assets may be invested in securities issued by U.S. governmental agencies."

I remembered this from Craig and MT's PP book. Same reason they don't like Vanguard's LTT fund. Too much leeway for the fund managers. iShares seems to be a better choice albeit no pure MM fund but they do have SHV. For sure direct ownership is best and Schwab at least now allows automatic rollovers of bills bought at auction. Paying any ER on money earning nothing is kinda difficult anyway.
I believe that VUSXX was not in existence when they wrote the book and they were writing about the Federal money market fund. Or, its equivalent that existed at the time.

However, I do agree with your criticism as I started this Topic:

"Vanguard Treasury Money Market Fund (VUSXX) Questions!"

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10277

If you read that you can see that they are all over the place in that 80% to 100% range.

Once I have gone full classic Permanent Portfolio and have down all my procedures and patterns (i.e, know what I am doing) I will fully ditch VUSXX and go fully Treasury Bills.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:42 pm

(Vinny) I believe that VUSXX was not in existence when they wrote the book and they were writing about the Federal money market fund. Or, its equivalent that existed at the time

Quasi-existence: VUSXX was closed to new investors for a long time, and perhaps when the book was being written. However, you can see in the Performance tab that it goes back to 1992.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:48 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:

Stay safe.
Thanks for the heads-up, Libertarian666. I just transferred all of my taxable cash at Vanguard from the Federal MMF to the Treasury MMF.

I feel a bit more secure now, so thanks again for the alert.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:48 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:

Stay safe.
Thanks for the heads-up, Libertarian666. I just transferred all of my taxable cash at Vanguard from the Federal MMF to the Treasury MMF.

I'm not happy that the $50,000 minimum is set at the account level and not set at your overall investment at Vanguard.

Seems that it would not require some fancy software to recognize how much total investment one has at Vanguard?

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Stay safe.

Sure, glad to help.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:38 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:10 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Stay safe.

I'm not happy that the $50,000 minimum is set at the account level and not set at your overall investment at Vanguard.

Seems that it would not require some fancy software to recognize how much total investment one has at Vanguard?

Vinny
I'm pretty sure there are some perqs that you get from having a big total account balance there, but since I don't have a Vanguard account I don't have any details.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:37 am

Vinny, I took the balance down to 10-20,000 for years and they didn’t kick me out. What I don’t know is how long you have maintain the balance of 50k before you can move money out. Probably not long.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:13 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:45 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:43 pm
dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:55 pm
It's tech's thread, but I'm happy that I played a small role.
I look forward to the day that things are calmer and perhaps I can buy those less safe investments again.
He started it but you actually took ACTION! And, for me, it was DEFINITELY the catalyst. You played no small role but a HUGE role!

Thanks again!

Vinny
I actually took action to switch my funds, as I said in the original post.
But as long as you did the right thing, I don't care if I get the credit. :D
Of course all the credit lies squarely with you whether you want it or not. :D
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:52 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:13 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:
I look forward to the day that things are calmer and perhaps I can buy those less safe investments again.
He started it but you actually took ACTION! And, for me, it was DEFINITELY the catalyst. You played no small role but a HUGE role!

Thanks again!

Vinny
No. I give it to the two of you. Because absent the actions of each of you I would have NEVER taken the subsequent actions! I know myself too well. So much inertia when it comes to these things. Now I'm thinking tomorrow that I should go full T-Bills for all my fixed investments. Since I've never once bought a T-Bill or a bond, I need some guidance from Vanguard on the other end how to do it. Plus, be all up-to-date on the recommendations people have made here as to how to buy them. Either at auction or off-the-shelf (from the market). I'd lean toward buying them in the shortest term possible to most mimic a money market fund doing the same. But I am up against two things. My intertia and that my accounts at Vanguard have not yet been collapsed into maybe three or four, tops. Instead I have nine accounts with Vanguard and each one of those have a fixed / cash portion in it. So, until I do my collapsing it'd be some work to do every month. I'd also want guidance from Vanguard as to how to collapse various accounts into fewer ones. Based upon Vanguard's busy signals yesterday I'd not be optimistic of being able to get from them this needed assistance. But I'm just now realizing that yesterday was my first tiny step to go full classic Permanent Portfolio. For all the funds I had invested in money market funds, I put them in the safest money market available.

Vinny

inny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:53 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:52 pm
dualstow wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Thanks again!

Vinny
No. I give it to the two of you. Because absent the actions of each of you I would have NEVER taken the subsequent actions! I know myself too well. So much inertia when it comes to these things. Now I'm thinking tomorrow that I should go full T-Bills for all my fixed investments. Since I've never once bought a T-Bill or a bond, I need some guidance from Vanguard on the other end how to do it. Plus, be all up-to-date on the recommendations people have made here as to how to buy them. Either at auction or off-the-shelf (from the market). I'd lean toward buying them in the shortest term possible to most mimic a money market fund doing the same. But I am up against two things. My intertia and that my accounts at Vanguard have not yet been collapsed into maybe three or four, tops. Instead I have nine accounts with Vanguard and each one of those have a fixed / cash portion in it. So, until I do my collapsing it'd be some work to do every month. I'd also want guidance from Vanguard as to how to collapse various accounts into fewer ones. Based upon Vanguard's busy signals yesterday I'd not be optimistic of being able to get from them this needed assistance. But I'm just now realizing that yesterday was my first tiny step to go full classic Permanent Portfolio. For all the funds I had invested in money market funds, I put them in the safest money market available.

Vinny

inny
Are one or two of your accounts much larger than the rest? If so, just do those.
And I believe there's an auction of 1, 2 and 3 month bills every week.
At least that's the way it looks on the Fidelity site.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:05 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:53 pm
vnatale wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:52 pm
dualstow wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Thanks again!

Vinny

Vinny

inny
Are one or two of your accounts much larger than the rest? If so, just do those.
You may again be the catalyst for me to do something tomorrow! And, if I get started I will do them ALL. Once the inertia is overcome I go all out. The binary personality. All or none.

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:03 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:05 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:

You may again be the catalyst for me to do something tomorrow! And, if I get started I will do them ALL. Once the inertia is overcome I go all out. The binary personality. All or none.

Vinny
Sounds good!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:14 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:03 pm
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Vinny
Sounds good!
The distance of your power reach is at least as many miles as it is between Massachusetts and Texas! You can tell us if you have had success at a greater distance in influencing others whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:18 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:14 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Vinny
Sounds good!
The distance of your power reach is at least as many miles as it is between Massachusetts and Texas! You can tell us if you have had success at a greater distance in influencing others whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Vinny
Thanks. I'm not sure exactly how far my influence has reached. I do know that I've helped at least a few people on bogleheads.org get their money into Treasury MMFs, but I don't know where they live.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:16 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:18 am
vnatale wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:14 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

Vinny
Sounds good!

Vinny
Thanks. I'm not sure exactly how far my influence has reached. I do know that I've helped at least a few people on bogleheads.org get their money into Treasury MMFs, but I don't know where they live.
Then lacking that specific information I'll take it, for now, that I am your record for your longest distance assistance!

Vinny