Kat Klub

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Kat Klub

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:37 am

As long as this forum is going full cat, there may as well be a space to talk about them as the main coronavirus thread is already getting pretty ungainly.

That's my little girl in the new avatar, telling me it's time to get off the tablet and play.

EDIT: A CORONA WORKOUT THREAD IS PROBABLY ALSO WARRANTED 💡
Last edited by dualstow on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Kat Klub

Post by WiseOne » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:36 am

Great idea dualstow!

Ridiculously cute photo of my two Siberian cats below. I swear they know that something is amiss in the world. Their appetites have gone down a bit and they are more demanding about being petted. Especially when I'm on a conference call. They've put in an appearance on Zoom a couple times already.
HappyTdayFromCharlieChai copy.jpg
HappyTdayFromCharlieChai copy.jpg (44.24 KiB) Viewed 33202 times
Possibly useful cat food tip: I feed my cats raw food. The absolute king of raw food companies was Rad Cat, until they were forced out of existence by an FDA pogrom last year. My cats adored their food (as most cats do) but it was CRAZY expensive. My local pet store still has a stock of the last of their product in the freezer. It just passed the expiration date, so they're selling it for about 1/4 the original price. I got a couple of tubs and it's perfectly good, so I'm going to go back and buy out the rest of the stock. I have a small chest freezer at -10 degrees, and it'll be fine in there for a while.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:52 am

They’re beautiful, even without the halo. (But they deserve that daguerro-halo).

A friend of mine really spoils his cats with specially made and delivered people food. Not raw, though. Cooked by a chef. I forget the company name.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:13 am

Hilarious! Let me know if you find out the name of the company? I'm just curious.

I suspect my cats would not care about how lovingly prepared their food is. Their idea of a gourmet meal is the ground rabbit I order from an online producer, who sources it locally. Other than that, they get Nature Variety frozen chicken or Honest Kitchen dehydrated turkey. The rabbit, mixed with storebought chicken that I cook briefly and cut up plus a premade supplement, is about half the cost of the commercial foods.

Not sure how my cats maneuvered me into doing all that for them, but they are cunning little devils!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:26 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:37 am
As long as this forum is going full cat, there may as well be a space to talk about them as the main coronavirus thread is already getting pretty ungainly.

That's my little girl in the new avatar, telling me it's time to get off the tablet and play.

EDIT: A CORONA WORKOUT THREAD IS PROBABLY ALSO WARRANTED 💡
Such a beautiful cat I so many ways!!!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:27 am

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:36 am
Great idea dualstow!

Ridiculously cute photo of my two Siberian cats below. I swear they know that something is amiss in the world. Their appetites have gone down a bit and they are more demanding about being petted. Especially when I'm on a conference call. They've put in an appearance on Zoom a couple times already.

HappyTdayFromCharlieChai copy.jpg

Possibly useful cat food tip: I feed my cats raw food. The absolute king of raw food companies was Rad Cat, until they were forced out of existence by an FDA pogrom last year. My cats adored their food (as most cats do) but it was CRAZY expensive. My local pet store still has a stock of the last of their product in the freezer. It just passed the expiration date, so they're selling it for about 1/4 the original price. I got a couple of tubs and it's perfectly good, so I'm going to go back and buy out the rest of the stock. I have a small chest freezer at -10 degrees, and it'll be fine in there for a while.
Two more cuties!!!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:59 am

Thanks, Vin.
So far I haven’t been able to find anything that rings a bell, WiseOne, but if you look at katkin, it looks kind of like that.
But fancier.

https://katkin.club/pages/our-recipes
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:16 pm

Since HappyMan had requested way back in December 2019 of pictures of ALL my pets I'm taking the liberty expand Kat Klub to all pets...

Well I had all the picture attaching here and with captions. But then got this error message for every picture. Is there a size limit for attachments? All my pictures are between 6.1 MB and 8.8 MB in size.

Vinny
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (14.18 KiB) Viewed 33166 times
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:48 pm

There isn't too much reason to upload an enormously high resolution picture here, but there currently isn't a board limit. But PHP has a configuration setting for the max amount of memory it will use to process an upload before it dies. I've changed that from 10MB to 50MB. Maybe that will help?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:39 pm

We recently retired the cat bed we bought our cat. She wasn't using it, so we decided to put it up on top of one of our bookshelves. This is the result...
IMG_5027.jpg
IMG_5027.jpg (652.23 KiB) Viewed 33132 times
IMG_5916.jpg
IMG_5916.jpg (353.71 KiB) Viewed 33118 times
Last edited by Smith1776 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:42 pm

It looks to be the right orientation to me. It's possible that browsers differ in how they honor EXIF instructions in JPEG.

Who is "we"?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:45 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:42 pm
It looks to be the right orientation to me. It's possible that browsers differ in how they honor EXIF instructions in JPEG.

Who is "we"?
Yeah, that happened last time. I uploaded a picture and the orientation was weird on my browser. I just sort of shrugged, but when I logged in later the orientation fixed itself. Weird.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:45 pm

Hahahha! Awesome, Smithy.

If anyone has a question, please raise your paw.
—-
Well, I’m so glad we have a separate thread for cats so we don’t gum up the coronavirus megathread. Now where were we? Oh right. Having a conversation about picture uploading. :-\
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:27 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:48 pm
There isn't too much reason to upload an enormously high resolution picture here, but there currently isn't a board limit. But PHP has a configuration setting for the max amount of memory it will use to process an upload before it dies. I've changed that from 10MB to 50MB. Maybe that will help?
The only reason is my enormous inertia. I'd taken those pictures on January 1, 2020 and did not put them here until today 2 1/2 months later. And, those were the resolution that they were already in. Having to do anything with those pictures, i.e., changing their resolutions, is just going to result in another inertia excuse.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:39 pm
We recently retired the cat bed we bought our cat. She wasn't using it, so we decided to put it up on top of one of our bookshelves. This is the result...

IMG_5027.jpg

IMG_5916.jpg
It took me quite a while to figure out exactly what I was looking at!! I thought it was some kind of weird, strange stuffed animal! The end of her paw (without me knowing was her leg & paw) looked like a strange creature's head! This creature that had quite the thin body!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:14 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:48 pm
Tried uploading just ONE 8.8 MB picture but ended with same error message. Will try again some day when I can reduce their sizes.

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:52 pm

Okay, I found another limit and lifted it. Everything you've tried should succeed next time!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:55 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:52 pm
Okay, I found another limit and lifted it. Everything you've tried should succeed next time!
Thanks! I really did not want to press you as I now know cats are not your favorite things so there was no personal benefit to you to be expending any of your time in trying to come up with a solution.

I will now try again!

Thanks again!

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:56 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:55 pm
Xan wrote:
Thanks! I really did not want to press you as I now know cats are not your favorite things so there was no personal benefit to you to be expending any of your time in trying to come up with a solution.

I will now try again!

Thanks again!

Vinny
Well hey, this forum isn't about me, so the content doesn't matter. It should be easy for people to do what they want to do, which is the point of enabling attachments in the first place. So thanks for pointing out things were unnecessarily constrained.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:02 pm

If it doesn’t work out, Vinny, i can resize the photos for you.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:07 pm

Since I have 19 total pets I thought I'd split this up into three posts....

First up are the rats!

3 rats extremely interested in getting their first food of the day.JPG
3 rats extremely interested in getting their first food of the day.JPG (8.67 MiB) Viewed 32203 times
the 3 rats looking for their feeding.JPG
the 3 rats looking for their feeding.JPG (8.79 MiB) Viewed 32203 times
the 3 rats in a familiar position.JPG
the 3 rats in a familiar position.JPG (8.54 MiB) Viewed 32203 times
2 other rats looking to be fed!.JPG
2 other rats looking to be fed!.JPG (8.6 MiB) Viewed 32203 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:10 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:56 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:55 pm
Xan wrote:

I will now try again!

Thanks again!

Vinny
Well hey, this forum isn't about me, so the content doesn't matter. It should be easy for people to do what they want to do, which is the point of enabling attachments in the first place. So thanks for pointing out things were unnecessarily constrained.
I know that. But you could have said. I hate cats. Or, dislike cats. There are tons of other ways I can spend my time rather than finding a way for one person to show pictures of cats!

But you didn't. And, I deeply appreciate that.

Plus, I love how easy it is to add the pictures and get them in the desired order in the post.

Thanks again!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Next up are the gerbils!
4 male gerbils.JPG
4 male gerbils.JPG (8.71 MiB) Viewed 32199 times
4 female gerbils.JPG
4 female gerbils.JPG (8.64 MiB) Viewed 32199 times
2 absolutely beautiful gerbils of unknown (same) sex.JPG
2 absolutely beautiful gerbils of unknown (same) sex.JPG (7.02 MiB) Viewed 32199 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:18 pm

Finally! God's gift to the world! CATS!!!
The Mink girl - Queen of the house.JPG
The Mink girl - Queen of the house.JPG (8.77 MiB) Viewed 32199 times
The Mink girl assuming a regal stance.JPG
The Mink girl assuming a regal stance.JPG (7.21 MiB) Viewed 32199 times
Torellini.JPG
Torellini.JPG (7.23 MiB) Viewed 32199 times
Torellini - Is this how you wanted me to pose.JPG
Torellini - Is this how you wanted me to pose.JPG (7.16 MiB) Viewed 32199 times
Torellini-Just take my picture doing what I normally do.JPG
Torellini-Just take my picture doing what I normally do.JPG (7.5 MiB) Viewed 32199 times
Cannelloni.JPG
Cannelloni.JPG (6.34 MiB) Viewed 32199 times
Cannelloni checking up on the welfare of the 4 female gerbils.JPG
Cannelloni checking up on the welfare of the 4 female gerbils.JPG (7.13 MiB) Viewed 32199 times
Cannelloni ever vigilant making sure nothing happens to those female gerbils.JPG
Cannelloni ever vigilant making sure nothing happens to those female gerbils.JPG (7.57 MiB) Viewed 32199 times
The Mink girl plus Cannelloni maintaining vigilannce for those remale gerbils.JPG
The Mink girl plus Cannelloni maintaining vigilannce for those remale gerbils.JPG (6.13 MiB) Viewed 32199 times
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:04 pm

Vinny, have your cats ever tried to get to the rats or gerbils, or are they just curious to look?