Not the Onion or the Babylon Bee

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Not the Onion or the Babylon Bee

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:10 pm

"Coronavirus Survey Reveals Americans in Debt, Not Saving or Investing Ahead of Outbreak"
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... -outbreak/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Not the Onion or the Babylon Bee

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:13 pm

After 9/11, I read an article, probably in the New York Times. The author said that he was a long-time ant (saver) and that his friends had been grasshoppers (spendthrifts). The whole point of his op-ed was that maybe it’s good to be a grasshopper. I was mad.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:20 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:13 pm
After 9/11, I read an article, probably in the New York Times. The author said that he was a long-time ant (saver) and that his friends had been grasshoppers (spendthrifts). The whole point of his op-ed was that maybe it’s good to be a grasshopper. I was mad.
I recognized long ago that our financial system is set up to cater to the spendthrift and penalize the saver.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:20 pm
dualstow wrote:
I recognized long ago that our financial system is set up to cater to the spendthrift and penalize the saver.

Vinny
Yes, that's why people who spend all of their money have better lives than those that save it.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Vinny
Yes, that's why people who spend all of their money have better lives than those that save it.
That is not my experience. The people I know who spend all of their money have a good time until they run into any trouble at all; then they get frantic.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:58 pm

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:01 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Vinny
That is not my experience. The people I know who spend all of their money have a good time until they run into any trouble at all; then they get frantic.
You took the words out of my fingers! And, they suffer far more stress! Many times constant stress over $$$$!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 am

What's more, the ant who prudently stocks up for a "rainy day" over the course of a decade or more (typically driving a 20-year-old car while his grasshopper neighbor pulls into the driveway with a brand new, decked out truck) is vilified for being a "hoarder."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 am

Maddy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 am
What's more, the ant who prudently stocks up for a "rainy day" over the course of a decade or more (typically driving a 20-year-old car while his grasshopper neighbor pulls into the driveway with a brand new, decked out truck) is vilified for being a "hoarder."
It is funny how that works. Inevitably, the grasshopper asks the “greedy” ant for a loan. The grasshopper didn’t save because “I’m not obsessed with money. There’s more to life.” (Like spending!) — not a personal anecdote, but it happened to my friend.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am

Maddy wrote:
I assume that just by virtue of people having joined this forum that it would be overwhelmingly composed of "ants" over "grasshopper"? I am the ultimate ant!

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 am
Maddy wrote:
It is funny how that works. Inevitably, the grasshopper asks the “greedy” ant for a loan. The grasshopper didn’t save because “I’m not obsessed with money. There’s more to life.” (Like spending!) — not a personal anecdote, but it happened to my friend.
Yes, that is very common.
Fortunately I've been spared that for the most part.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am
Maddy wrote:
I assume that just by virtue of people having joined this forum that it would be overwhelmingly composed of "ants" over "grasshopper"? I am the ultimate ant!

Vinny
I would imagine so.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:41 am

https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... spreading/#

Great picture in the link. The article is from November 2018. If only we all learned from the ants - health practices and saving practices.

"Do you wish your coughing, sneezing colleagues would stay away from the office? Unlike some humans, ants seem to understand the importance of avoiding others when they are infected. When foraging ants are exposed to a fungal pathogen, they reduce their contact with workers inside the nest.

Nathalie Stroeymeyt at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland, and colleagues studied colonies of Lasius niger ants using an automated ant-tracking system.

Workers in these colonies are split into nurses, which work inside the nest caring for the brood, and foragers, which collect food outside the nest. Foragers are most likely to pick up infections, but they interact less with other ants, and come into contact with those inside the nest infrequently."
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 am

^ Wow, interesting! ^
RIP Marcello Gandini
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:55 am

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:59 am
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
Yes, but I doubt most of us are as hardcore as you. I definitely don't still have any shirts or jeans from 20 years ago. :P

I am more ant than grasshopper, but I do believe that quality-for-price matters when buying durable goods:

-I still have my Beretta over-and-under 12 gauge shotgun bought 45 years ago.

-I still have my Ray Ban aviator polarized sunglasses bought 40 years ago.

-I still have my Swarovski Habicht binoculars, bought 35 years ago.

-When the OEMs wear out, I will replace my Subaru Outback’s tires with a set of Michelins and the battery with Interstate heavy duty.

Sight unseen, I would wager that MangoMan only buys high quality drills for his dental practice.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am

MangoMan wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
Yes, but I doubt most of us are as hardcore as you. I definitely don't still have any shirts or jeans from 20 years ago. :P
20 years ago is NOTHING! Try from 40 years ago!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:51 am

jhogue wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:55 am
MangoMan wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

I am more ant than grasshopper, but I do believe that quality-for-price matters when buying durable goods:

-I still have my Beretta over-and-under 12 gauge shotgun bought 45 years ago.

-I still have my Ray Ban aviator polarized sunglasses bought 40 years ago.

-I still have my Swarovski Habicht binoculars, bought 35 years ago.

-When the OEMs wear out, I will replace my Subaru Outback’s tires with a set of Michelins and the battery with Interstate heavy duty.

Sight unseen, I would wager that MangoMan only buys high quality drills for his dental practice.
Some people mistake my frugalness for cheapness. I have to explain to them I am always after value. I want to spend the least in the long-run. So I'll buy the most expensive item if I'm convinced that will be less expensive in the long run by continually having to purchase the lower quality version. Time involved in making the purchase is also part of the cost of buying an item.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:35 am

Reminds me of this Joshua Kennon article about the collapse of the antique furniture market. My parents gave me some of their older furniture, a couple pieces of which are about 50 years old. They also gave me a Le Creuset from the 80s which is great.