Moderator: Global Moderator

Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Vil » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:29 am

I like this one too, especially the last 15-20 seconds ;D

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics ... th-vpx.cnn

I will not comment on the way this (*will get censored*) guy Trump and his cohort behave and speak, but I have to admit one of the few good things that our local morons (*will note get censored for sure*) did in the recent times is to apply the complete lock-down and do not underestimate of what's happening ..
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:52 am

Tracking anonymized cell phones of spring breakers who visited Ft Lauderdale, Florida.

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/stat ... 45670?s=20
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:55 am

BRITAIN’S BORIS HAS THE BUG
RIP Marcello Gandini
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:07 am

Cruise ships. I would guess the ships are foreign flagged, but the US cruise companies are US companies paying US taxes on applicable income. They probably are able to minimize that through various internal arrangements though. The reaction you are having can also be applied to any company that has a foreign factory.

Is this an argument for a VAT? Maybe this should be another thread.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:15 am

This could well go into the Religion thread but it seemed more appropriate for the current Wuhan virus situation. I hope you all enjoy the perspective.
Plans 2020-03-27.pdf
(3.54 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:19 am

This female representative from Michigan is absolutely going wild right now.

You WILL be seeing video clips of this.

It is now live on C-Span.

She has stopped speaking.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:47 am

It just occurred to me when thinking about how often I now see / hear / read people making references to how many flu deaths we have every year.

Have any of you ever read an obituary wherein it is stated that they died from the flu? I do not believe that I have.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:55 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:47 am
It just occurred to me when thinking about how often I now see / hear / read people making references to how many flu deaths we have every year.

Have any of you ever read an obituary wherein it is stated that they died from the flu? I do not believe that I have.
Most obits of non-celebrities that I see do not state the cause of death.
However, I have seen news articles showing a young muscular guy who died from the flu, because it almost acts as a PSA. The decedent was named.

Also, I know someone whose father died from the flu. His health was compromised by cancer and cancer treatments although he was on the mend when he caught the flu virus.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:35 am

mdwilson1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:32 pm
vnatale wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:13 pm
"Reported US coronavirus cases and deaths via
@CNN
:

4 weeks ago: 60 cases, 0 deaths
3 weeks ago: 227 cases, 12 deaths
2 weeks ago: 1,636 cases, 41 deaths
1 week ago: 13,229 cases, 195 deaths
Right now: 82,135 cases, 1,195 deaths"

Vinny
I'm sorry but your numbers are wrong.

The President said, a month ago:
"And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done."

So it must be down to just a handful by now.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:43 am

vnatale wrote:
Not in an obituary. But sometimes through word of mouth I'll hear about an older person dying of pneumonia. Presumably the pneumonia is some kind of secondary infection brought on by something like the flu. But that level of detail rarely comes up in the conversations.

If someone dies of pneumonia, I'm not sure if doctors categorize the official cause of death as "pneumonia" or the primary illness that eventually led to the pneumonia. And if the person who died was really old and frail, it seems like the illness that tipped them over the edge is more of a minor detail and they kind of just died unofficially of "old age."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:46 am

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:43 am
vnatale wrote:
Not in an obituary. But sometimes through word of mouth I'll hear about an older person dying of pneumonia. Presumably the pneumonia is some kind of secondary infection brought on by something like the flu. But that level of detail rarely comes up in the conversations.

If someone dies of pneumonia, I'm not sure if doctors categorize the official cause of death as "pneumonia" or the primary illness that eventually led to the pneumonia. And if the person who died was really old and frail, it seems like the illness that tipped them over the edge is more of a minor detail and they kind of just died unofficially of "old age."
Don't death certificates have to specify a cause of death? And, if so, is "old age" a cause?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:53 am

As I continue to watch this House of Representatives debate and see almost all of them go over their allotted times I am reminded of something I frequently say: "I don't trust anyone with my money who is clearly demonstrating to me that they cannot manage time."

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:01 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:46 am
Don't death certificates have to specify a cause of death? And, if so, is "old age" a cause?
Yes, I believe they do, and no, I don't think "old age" is an official cause (hence my use of the term "unofficial" in relation to it).

For what it's worth, here are a graph and table showing the most common official causes of death:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... th_by_rate

Interestingly, the graph and table don't explicitly include the words "influenza" or "virus," but they do include terms like "infectious diseases," "respiratory infections," "respiratory diseases," and "lower respiratory tract infections."

I'm not sure how flu death statistics are officially tracked if the word "influenza" never appears on official death certificates. Yet in recent weeks we've been seeing lots of references to "N deaths per year due to the flu" like it's an easily verified fact. Maybe annual flu deaths are just estimated, not measured, based on some kind of model using various assumptions.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:03 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:53 am
As I continue to watch this House of Representatives debate and see almost all of them go over their allotted times I am reminded of something I frequently say: "I don't trust anyone with my money who is clearly demonstrating to me that they cannot manage time."

Vinny
Agreed. The daily press conferences were terrible for starting late, but it seems they have gotten the word that TV news and millions of people are expecting these at a certain time, and they've gotten better.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:06 am

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:01 am
vnatale wrote:
Yes, I believe they do, and no, I don't think "old age" is an official cause (hence my use of the term "unofficial" in relation to it).

For what it's worth, here are a graph and table showing the most common official causes of death:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... th_by_rate

Interestingly, the graph and table don't explicitly include the words "influenza" or "virus," but they do include terms like "infectious diseases," "respiratory infections," "respiratory diseases," and "lower respiratory tract infections."

I'm not sure how flu death statistics are officially tracked if the word "influenza" never appears on official death certificates. Yet in recent weeks we've been seeing lots of references to "N deaths per year due to the flu" like it's an easily verified fact. Maybe annual flu deaths are just estimated, not measured, based on some kind of model using various assumptions.
The annual death rate for flu is a statistical model, so we can hope it is accurate, but I have no sense of that.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/ho ... imates.htm
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:07 am

vnatale wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cause_of_death#Age
RIP Marcello Gandini
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:16 am

From the CDC, and I am not a stats guys, never tried to understand confidence interval, but from the 61k deaths attributed to the flu in 2017-2018, a little under 6k deaths were averted because of vaccine according to the models.

The numbers for averted illnesses, visits and hospitalizations are higher, but still, this at first glance did not seem to be a glowing report on the need to get vaccinated.

I only say this because when I do, without doubt, I would feel like crap for 2-3 days after the shot, without fail (happened with the shingles shots too). I haven't gotten the flu vaccine for at least 4 years.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:26 am

Teen Who Died of Covid-19 Was Denied Treatment Because He Didn't Have Health Insurance

https://gizmodo.com/teen-who-died-of-co ... 1842520539
according to R. Rex Parris, the mayor of Lancaster, California.
The Lancaster teen tested positive for covid-19, but the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is reportedly evaluating the case to see if there’s another explanation for his death.
There have also been allegations from health care workers in the U.S. that some covid-19 deaths aren’t being properly counted, even as hospitals become overwhelmed with patients, sometimes waiting hours to get tested.
People are already dying in New York emergency rooms waiting for ICU beds, according to the New York Times.
Last edited by dualstow on Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:27 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:26 am
Teen Who Died of Covid-19 Was Denied Treatment Because He Didn't Have Health Insurance

https://gizmodo.com/teen-who-died-of-co ... 1842520539
Health Insurance Death Panels

Corona be time to make some coin!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Just again watched the female representative from Michigan go wild. This time listened to it closely from the beginning of her talking. If I was from Michigan and voted for her I'd be quite embarrassed.

She clearly epitomizes someone who has NO concept of time management and who, therefore, I'd want kept as far away from MY money as possible!

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:56 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:41 pm
Just again watched the female representative from Michigan go wild.
Can you provide a link for the rest of us?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:13 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:56 pm
vnatale wrote:
Yeah, we have no idea what you're talking about, Vin.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:31 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:13 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:56 pm
vnatale wrote:
Yeah, we have no idea what you're talking about, Vin.
We are just about to start an organization online meeting. If you go to C-Span should probably be on the front page. Representative from Michigan. They made a point of showing it in full again.

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:39 pm

I think Vinny must be referring to this clip:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4864233/ ... mi-pick-em
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:53 pm

Patient Zero may have been a shrimp vendor who thought she had the flu. She got an injection that didn't help and went back to work.
-- many sources, including the Wall St Journal
Tortoise wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:39 pm
I think Vinny must be referring to this clip:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4864233/ ... mi-pick-em
ah thank you. They should just cut her mic like they do at the Rose Garden.
RIP Marcello Gandini