Strength in the time of Cholera

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Strength in the time of Cholera

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:13 am

I've noticed on the general Coronavirus forum that folks are throwing out a lot of good ideas about how to stay in shape with all of the gyms closed. Some pretty good stuff.

I've been on the road for about seven years now and frequently don't have access to a barbell gym. In case it is of any use, I'll share what I use to keep my strength up.

I've put together an isometric/isotonic rig that packs well into my bag. The photos should be self-explanatory. It is a bluetooth force sensor rigged up to some straps that are attached to a carbon fiber "bar". The straps are 8' hammock hanging straps with loops every 4". You get about 2" of adjustment by looping the straps over the bar and clipping to the base.

To use, I pick three different strap settings for each major barbell lift. Low, medium and high pulls or presses. There is a target "weight" for each position. For each pull, I set up the straps, start a 1 second metronome on my iPhone, position my iPhone where I can read the force sensor, stand on the cutting board with the top of the strap wrapped over my hand while I grab the bar and :
1) Pull just enough to momentarily hit about 50% of my target.
2) Pull 100% for just a second, twice.
3) Pull 100% for 12 seconds, counting with the metronome.

If I can hold the pull for 12 seconds, I go up in force the next workout. If I can't hold it for 8 seconds I go down. Between 8 and 12 seconds I try the same pull next time.

I use this setup to simulate deadlifts, squats, overhead press, curls and pulls (similar to a clean). Three positions for each.
I split the workouts into 2 different workouts. Day 1 and Day 2.

In addition, I do bodyweight workouts on Day 3.
Pullups - by just throwing a towel over the top of the bathroom door. Awkward, but works fine.
Handstand pushups against a wall.
One - arm pushups on the floor.
Working on a full planche - almost there.

Cheers - I'd love to hear what other folks are doing. I'm always looking for good ideas.
isoisotop.jpeg
isoisotop.jpeg (218.1 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
isoisobottom.jpeg
isoisobottom.jpeg (208.08 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
isoisopacked.jpeg
isoisopacked.jpeg (166.96 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Strength in the time of Cholera

Post by pmward » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:25 am

It wasn't a cheap investment by any means, but I got a Rogue power rack a couple years ago. That with a dip bar, dip belt, some loadable dumbbells, an Ohio power bar, resistance bands, and of course a bunch of weights has turned out to be about the best 4 grand I ever spent. I love it. I never have to wait for someone to finish curling in the squat rack ever again! I've had it for a little over 2 years, so by my estimates I got about another 4 years before I break even on a gym membership. Eventually, this will save me money long term over the gym as well. Can not recommend enough!
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:11 am

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:32 am
ML, that's kind of like a portable bowflex. I'm surprised they let you on a plane with that getup; it looks like it could be used a a weapon somehow.
I've got so much scary looking stuff in my bag that I always allow 30 minutes to get through TSA. I know it all passes, but I just wait for them to tear my bag apart and then I repack it. Pain in the ass, but whadd'ya gonna do?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:17 am

pmward wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:25 am
It wasn't a cheap investment by any means, but I got a Rogue power rack a couple years ago. That with a dip bar, dip belt, some loadable dumbbells, an Ohio power bar, resistance bands, and of course a bunch of weights has turned out to be about the best 4 grand I ever spent. I love it. I never have to wait for someone to finish curling in the squat rack ever again! I've had it for a little over 2 years, so by my estimates I got about another 4 years before I break even on a gym membership. Eventually, this will save me money long term over the gym as well. Can not recommend enough!
I had that same setup in my house before I sold everything. Except it was a Rippetoe bar. When people ask me what I miss, that is always my answer.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:58 pm

pmward wrote:
Same, except without the dumbbells or resistance bands. Got it late last year and have gained noticeable strength and muscle since then.

So glad I'm able to keep lifting during the lockdown.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:44 pm

pmward wrote:
As I was using my $225 investment this morning I was thinking about your payback time. Are you counting the value of your time and how much time you save from travel to and from plus the time you'd spend preparing to leave the house if you were otherwise not leaving the house that day?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:48 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:44 pm
pmward wrote:
As I was using my $225 investment this morning I was thinking about your payback time. Are you counting the value of your time and how much time you save from travel to and from plus the time you'd spend preparing to leave the house if you were otherwise not leaving the house that day?

Vinny
No, I just did rough napkin math at my past gym fees of $50/month. But that is also true that the gas and time commuting to the gym do have a cost as well. Not to mention the scheduling flexibility of being able to workout whenever I want. Also the value of optionality in being able to flex and do things like on a busy day splitting my workout into a couple small sessions during the day, where if I had to go to the gym I would wind up just skipping the day entirely.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:07 am

pmward wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:48 am
vnatale wrote:
pmward wrote:

Vinny
No, I just did rough napkin math at my past gym fees of $50/month. But that is also true that the gas and time commuting to the gym do have a cost as well. Not to mention the scheduling flexibility of being able to workout whenever I want. Also the value of optionality in being able to flex and do things like on a busy day splitting my workout into a couple small sessions during the day, where if I had to go to the gym I would wind up just skipping the day entirely.
You might agree with me that it infinitely better to do it at home? There is just no way the way I do my life that I'd ever fit in going to the gym. I need maximum flexibility at all times to fit all in that I want / need to do.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:07 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:13 am
Pullups - by just throwing a towel over the top of the bathroom door. Awkward, but works fine.
This is definitely a VP play! O0
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:43 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:07 am
pmward wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:48 am
vnatale wrote:
pmward wrote:

Vinny
You might agree with me that it infinitely better to do it at home? There is just no way the way I do my life that I'd ever fit in going to the gym. I need maximum flexibility at all times to fit all in that I want / need to do.

Vinny
Absolutely. I have a ton of hobbies and things I want to fit into the week. Any way to make it easier to juggle it all has great value!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:54 am

Can I just say this a brilliant thread title. When Smith talked about his dates, it kept reminding me of the book title that Mark was riffing on here. I’ve never read the book, but it seems apt. O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:07 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:54 am
Can I just say this a brilliant thread title. When Smith talked about his dates, it kept reminding me of the book title that Mark was riffing on here. I’ve never read the book, but it seems apt. O0
Love in the Time of Corona.

Texting that to her now. O0
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞