Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Stock scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:49 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:27 pm
- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov refused on Thursday US President DT's claims about a phone conversation between Russian President P. and Saudi Crown Prince MBS. "No. There was no such conversation".
Can't resist... release the transcript!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:16 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:49 pm
ochotona wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:27 pm
- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov refused on Thursday US President DT's claims about a phone conversation between Russian President P. and Saudi Crown Prince MBS. "No. There was no such conversation".
Can't resist... release the transcript!
The Saudi transcript is here, www.spa.gov.sa/2054219
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:59 pm

Russia is the Marshawn Lynch of countries. Or maybe the Bob Huggins.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:42 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:43 pm
ochotona wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:00 pm
Oilprice.com

No one has launched any talks about a potential new oil-production deal to replace the OPEC+ format, Dmitry Peskov, press secretary of Russia’s President Vladimir Putin, said on Thursday, hours after U.S. President Donald Trump said that former friends-turned-foes Saudi Arabia and Russia are talking and “I think they’ll to come up with something.”

“No one has started talking about any specific or abstract deals yet,” the Kremlin spokesman Peskov told reporters on Thursday, as carried by Russian news agency TASS.

Also https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/oil-sp ... mm-barrels
Of course the Kremlin never puts out disinformation, so we should believe the Kremlin rather than Trump.
But wait, isn't Trump supposed to be Putin's puppet? Or was that last week?
I'm getting dizzy trying to follow the talking points!
It's easy -- can't trust Russia, Trump, or the Chinese.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:39 pm

The evidence that Trump is lying is that 10 million barrels per say would be 43% of Saudi and Russian daily production!

It's impossible on it's face! KSA and Russia would never volunteer for that. That's patently absurd.

Anyone who believes that's plausible has no operating brain cells. You've just proven it to the world.

That like saying Trump claiming he is going to leap from Earth to Moon, ain't going to happen.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:50 pm

The only way I am sure Trump is still alive is if he is lying about something.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:36 am

More Boglehead panic

At what point does a fund's performance history vs index matter?
TLH of 6-figure loss? {ouch !!!}
Why Do So Many Recommend 70% - 100% Stocks?
How am I doing ? Do i need a financial advisor ?
Share what worked in your plan during the crisis
Anyone here depressed just looking at their portfolio?
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:54 am

ochotona wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:36 am
More Boglehead panic

It is funny how much they are panicking, especially since as of the moment the stock market still has the best case scenario priced in. We are currently at ~2500 priced for a quick V shaped recovery. The market is still strangely very optimistic on the whole, as evidenced by things like rallying on historically bad unemployment numbers, oil rallying 20%+ on a blatant and obvious lie from Trump, etc. The bulls are still impatiently looking for any sign of hope to do a Q4 2018 like V shaped recovery back to new highs by the fall. There is a desperation for good news on the bulls part. They still have way too much hope left for this to be a true bear market bottom. I'm still long term bullish, but I am bearish short term. I think we have more pain to come in the next couple months and that things are worse in the short term than is currently priced into the market.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:21 am

pmward wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:54 am
It is funny how much they are panicking, especially since as of the moment the stock market still has the best case scenario priced in. We are currently at ~2500 priced for a quick V shaped recovery. The market is still strangely very optimistic on the whole, as evidenced by things like rallying on historically bad unemployment numbers, oil rallying 20%+ on a blatant and obvious lie from Trump, etc. The bulls are still impatiently looking for any sign of hope to do a Q4 2018 like V shaped recovery back to new highs by the fall. There is a desperation for good news on the bulls part. They still have way too much hope left for this to be a true bear market bottom. I'm still long term bullish, but I am bearish short term. I think we have more pain to come in the next couple months and that things are worse in the short term than is currently priced into the market.
I know, the Knuckleheads forum is just such a strange place. They spend all this time analyzing stock market history, looking at charts, graphs, standard deviations, drawdowns. They get so snarky and pseudo-intellectual with each other. Yet for some reason these same people, who have done all this research, still invest as if bear markets don't happen and are somehow surprised when they do.

Like, uhhhh what?

It's as if someone told you that fighting Tyson Fury was going to get you KO'd, but you did it anyway and got KO'd. Hmmmmmm.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:35 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:33 am
pmward wrote:
ochotona wrote:
More Boglehead panic

Please provide proof of the "blatant and obvious lie".
If you have none, you should stop spreading Democrat propaganda.
Please provide proof he was telling the truth. It's very clear to me that you are the one on this forum constantly spreading political propaganda and too brainwashed to look at the reality of the situation from an unbiased, impartial, and nonpartisan viewpoint. I know I'm far from the only person that places absolutely 0 weight in anything you say in regards to Trump.
Last edited by pmward on Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:41 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:39 am
pmward wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:35 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
pmward wrote:
ochotona wrote:
More Boglehead panic

Please provide proof he was telling the truth. It's very clear to me that you are the one on this forum spreading political propaganda and not looking at the reality of the situation.
You are the one making a claim. I'm asking for proof.
You have none, so you are the propagandist.
Welcome to my ignore list.
Hahahahahaha. What a tool.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:46 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:21 am
I know, the Knuckleheads forum is just such a strange place. They spend all this time analyzing stock market history, looking at charts, graphs, standard deviations, drawdowns. They get so snarky and pseudo-intellectual with each other. Yet for some reason these same people, who have done all this research, still invest as if bear markets don't happen and are somehow surprised when they do.

Like, uhhhh what?

It's as if someone told you that fighting Tyson Fury was going to get you KO'd, but you did it anyway and got KO'd. Hmmmmmm.

It's like they're a bunch of self-righteous Fundamentalist clergy... oops, and then several of them have affairs and get pregnant out of wedlock, some of them come out, Like, uhhhh what?

They write the same way... "As we were instructed by Jack Bogle,... "

sounds like "The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was asked which was the best kind of earning, he replied: That for which a man works with his hands. And honest trading." [BUY AND HOLD NO DOUBT]

It's kind of a cult, but it's under stress.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:48 am

ochotona wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:39 pm
The evidence that Trump is lying is that 10 million barrels per say would be 43% of Saudi and Russian daily production!

It's impossible on it's face! KSA and Russia would never volunteer for that. That's patently absurd.

Anyone who believes that's plausible has no operating brain cells. You've just proven it to the world.

That like saying Trump claiming he is going to leap from Earth to Moon, ain't going to happen.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:49 am

Libertarian666 wrote:

RE-POST
ochotona wrote:

Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:38 am

ochotona wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:49 am
Libertarian666 wrote:

RE-POST
ochotona wrote:

From what I've seen, 10+m / day from all producers is a goal of some. (Including US production cuts).

Trump did say just Saudi and Russia., And 10m-15m.

But didn't give any timeframe.

I sure assume he meant daily, as 10m a week (or longer) periods is pretty insignificant (less than the 2m/day Saudi's recently increased their production.

Given that storage space is running low, something is going to give. Below link quotes someone saying 15m/day worldwide cuts may not be enough.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/02/tru ... l-cut.html
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:07 pm

I am going to post this here as it is about OIL. Granted it is Not about Trump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUC6lsLr04I&app=desktop
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:00 pm

shekels wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:07 pm
I am going to post this here as it is about OIL. Granted it is Not about Trump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUC6lsLr04I&app=desktop
Interesting. Will be interesting to see how things change after the end of the beginning and impact on industries, especially transportation and oil.

Specifically to the video, I am hoping my 12yo car lasts a while longer - maybe electric, but the longer I wait, generally the better the car will be. Self driving would sure be nice.

But if work mostly from home, would we even need a second car....
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:23 pm

The market’s on a tear today. It likes all the good news.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:27 pm

Yup, indeed that's good - the 'shorting' season will have more place for action ;D Future is bright for sure... Meanwhile PM Boris Johnson was moved to ER.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:32 pm

Vil wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:27 pm
Meanwhile PM Boris Johnson was moved to ER.

Damn.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:40 pm

Yep, S&P put in a higher high on the daily chart today. This is something to really excite the bulls in the short term. I just can't get over the feeling though that the market is still pricing in the best case scenario, which I just don't see as very likely. I think we need at least one more good leg down to keep the bulls honest. At the very least, without another down leg, we at least would need to consolidate sideways for some time, imo. I just don't see the next bull market starting for *at least* another month or two, especially since historically speaking it would be more like 8-9 more months as the average time before we bottom.
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:48 pm

Have anyone seen any numbers regarding the median drop of overvalued (P/E > 50) stocks due to the coronavirus ? Has the number of those stocks decreased significantly ?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:18 pm

Vil wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:48 pm
Have anyone seen any numbers regarding the median drop of overvalued (P/E > 50) stocks due to the coronavirus ? Has the number of those stocks decreased significantly ?
I don't even know how one can apply traditional metrics to stocks anymore. The government and their puppet the fed are doing whatever they can to drive up stock prices. They will drive interest rates into negative territory, devalue cash, bail out companies, mail Americans money, and in my opinion if they start to lose control of the currency will institute laws limiting foreign currency purchases or precious metal ownership. It doesn't seem to really matter anymore what p/e ratios are.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:08 am

The market is nuts. It is not a forward indicator, unless by forward you mean two seconds into the future.

I don't know what to make of this.

Half of me says CV overblown, we will get back to normal sooner than expected.

Half says the opposite..

Either way, the economy has been destroyed for many months/years and two 1000+ points days of rallies seems wayyy too hopeful. I'd almost do a mathjak daytrading thing later today if it is still up and buy some SDOW.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:41 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:08 am
The market is nuts. It is not a forward indicator, unless by forward you mean two seconds into the future.

I don't know what to make of this.

Half of me says CV overblown, we will get back to normal sooner than expected.

Half says the opposite..

Either way, the economy has been destroyed for many months/years and two 1000+ points days of rallies seems wayyy too hopeful. I'd almost do a mathjak daytrading thing later today if it is still up and buy some SDOW.
Technically speaking, if you're going to short this is the level to do it at. ~2800 is kind of the line in the sand as I see it. There are so many resistance lines around there, from past hard resistance levels, Fibonacci retracement levels, the 2009-Feb 2020 bull market trend line, and even the first leg down of this correction which bounced at 2850. If we break and hold above that 2800 range I could no longer say that the evidence is in favor of us being in a bear market. The short and long term signals would all be bullishly aligned. So, if there is going to be another leg down and we really are going to have a true bear market... it needs to happen real soon.

This is either the ultimate bull trap that is going to leave the bulls broken and bloody, or it's a new bull market. I still think fundamentally it's too soon to start a new bull market. I think we need at least a couple of more months of pain, and one more leg down before we can finally bottom and start a real (slower and lower volatility) new uptrend. But even I am starting to question my short term bearishness. But that's exactly what a bear market rally is supposed to do. It needs to keep the bears and the bulls honest... and the only way it can do that is to be good enough to make the bears question their bearishness, and to give the bulls full conviction that they are right. Bear markets however usually bottom on a whimper not on a bang. Like I mentioned last week, in 2008 the market bottomed with the VIX at 17. I have a hard time believing we bottomed with the VIX at 85. I'm watching very closely, the next week will be really telling, I'll either be selling more stock hoping to buy back around that 1900-2100 level I've been eyeing for weeks now, or I'm going to have to admit I'm wrong (or at least early, which is basically wrong with an asterisk), buy back in, and keep a tight stop loss in case of a whipsaw.

I *think* that the problem we are facing is that the money is following the trend in virus numbers right now, and has not begun to really look at the economic ramifications. Long term, I'm as bullish as they come. I still think the stock market will be mostly recovered by the election... but even I have to admit this seems way too soon and way too little pain for a bear market. Even 1987 floundered sideways for a couple months and retested the lows before it started moving back up again. A 6 week bear market just makes no sense.