Solar & Survival?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Solar & Survival?

Post by vnatale » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:14 pm

Today is the three week anniversary of when I've last been in the presence of another human or any outside food has come into this house. Doing fine on both counts.

Living like this does, though, bring to mind how one would live in somewhat a survivalist mode or in times when basic services are not available.

My main "soft" spot under either of those conditions is that I cannot take the least bit of cold.

As I type this my house thermostat is set at 70 degrees yet my feet would be freezing if they were right now NOT on a foot warmer. I've oftentimes stated that the two most important things for me in buying a used care are 1) excellent sound system and 2) has a heating system that can make you feel like you in hell. The latter being a common complaint from people who have been in my car during the winter.

However, now that we have hit this time of year where I live (Massachusetts) my "soft" spot is not going to be any kind of issue from now until some time again in October.

In case of loss of basic services, not having any source of electricity would be my biggest concern.

I'd not have any problems reading paper materials any time of the day. During the day via outdoor light and by night via those candles (and batteries) I still have from my December 1999 purchases in anticipation for the Year 2000.

But it'd be much better if I always had access to fully charged iPods to be able to listen to music while reading. Also, even better to have some access to this computer and the internet.

I bought this 5-7 years ago on a Black Friday: https://www.amazon.com/American-Emergen ... 660&sr=8-4

The American Red Cross FR370 Portable Emergency Preparedness Radio with SAME Technology and NOAA Weather Alerts, ARCFR370WXR

It's yet to come out the box as nothing since its purchase has required its use.

It says: "USB dump charge: Instantly charge your USB device after cranking, to get power when you need it most."

Don't know how much cranking would give me so minutes / hours of iPod use.

I'm looking for recommendations of two types of solar chargers:

1) Something I could put outside and connect, say, a combination of four iPads, iPods, Kindles, phone. When I bring them in at night they are all fully charged.

2) Something I could put outside much bigger (and more expensive) with its own battery (with a larger capacity than my UPS) so that I could then bring it inside and run this computer for a few hours. If the sun was at peak noon is it possible both the following occur at the same time? Using this computer while the battery in it would actually be going up in storage? Or, is the technology still not there for all of that?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Solar & Survival?

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:50 pm

Solar Panels are huge Pain in the Ass. One of my companies is using them to power iPhones mounted on poles. Even the really high end equipment is fickle. Plus, I don't like your odds up there in the North East. And... a big ole solar panel with 4 Apple devices plugged into it seems like a good way to donate a lot of equipment to the wandering hordes.

Assuming that you don't plan on letting your car die, I would just get one of these:
USB Car Adapter.png
USB Car Adapter.png (216.85 KiB) Viewed 4955 times
They make them in lots of different flavors and they don't draw much power, so you can even charge with the engine off, if you turn on the accessories switch.

For any AC stuff, you can also get inverters up to about 200 watts that will plug into your lighter outlet. For even more wattage, you can buy inverters that you can clip onto your car battery terminals.

I tell you, there's nothing like good old fossil fuels in an emergency and your car is just the thing to turn it into power.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:51 pm

Coming from a rural area myself, wind generators used to be very popular.

Due to much overcast/rain during winter, solar panels were not very practical. (plus very expensive back then)

Just did a quick search on a brand that was common around here.
https://www.oocities.org/ibssinternational/dunlite.html

The reported issues from people that have panels now are the inverters are not very reliable. Battery lifespan is also an issue (which would apply to wind generators as well). Hopefully you have better products in the US.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:57 pm

Hal wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:51 pm

Due to much overcast/rain during winter, solar panels were not very practical. (plus very expensive back then)

Just did a quick search on a brand that was common around here.
https://www.oocities.org/ibssinternational/dunlite.html

The reported issues from people that have panels now are the inverters are not very reliable. Battery lifespan is also an issue (which would apply to wind generators as well). Hopefully you have better products in the US.
While I can afford it, that is a lot more money than I'd was considering spending if ONO are anywhere comparable to American $$$$!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:20 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:57 pm
Hal wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:51 pm
While I can afford it, that is a lot more money than I'd was considering spending if ONO are anywhere comparable to American $$$$!

Vinny
USD not equal to Pacific Peso ;D

It was just the first ad that came up.
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:06 pm

Vinny, with that radio you bought 5-7 years ago, I might be concerned about how well the Ni-MH battery has held up over time. Reading the description, it sounds like all of the alternate power sources (cranking, solar) rely on recharging that battery.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:33 pm

CT-Scott wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:06 pm
Vinny, with that radio you bought 5-7 years ago, I might be concerned about how well the Ni-MH battery has held up over time. Reading the description, it sounds like all of the alternate power sources (cranking, solar) rely on recharging that battery.
Good point. I have all those batteries I bought in December 1999 still in their packages. They been in my (cool) basement all that time. Since batteries are essentially chemical operations and chemistry slows down in cooler temperatures (which is why I keep the active batteries I am using in the refrigerator) I'm betting those December 1999 batteries are all quite good.

I don't know enough about the properties of the Ni-MH battery to make any guesses.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:34 pm

I love the idea of solar and haven't had much luck with it. My last attempt was with a product recommended here on this forum: Suntastics (dot com), for charging phones and small items like that. First I thought it wasn't getting enough sunlight. Then I tried it in full sunlight in Florida. Changed from an ipod to an iphone at MedTex's suggestion. Now it's sitting in a drawer. $!70 if I recall. Wrote to the company- no answer last time I wrote.

The technology has probably come a long way, but I probably won't try another product until half the neighborhood is using it.
RIP Daniel Kahneman | Happy Good Friday
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pm

Battery life:

“How long will my battery last?” I get this question a lot. The real question is, though, not how long batteries last, but how long SHOULD batteries last. Batteries have three distinct measures of life (run-time, shelf life and cycle life), and each type of battery chemistry has a different answer (alkaline, lithium-Polymer, etc.). For the answer to this common but complicated question, we must break down the answer for each chemistry. First let’s clarify the meaning of each measure of lifespan. ....... "

https://www.batteryuniverse.com/blog/tags/shelf-life/
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:53 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pm
Battery life:

“How long will my battery last?” I get this question a lot. The real question is, though, not how long batteries last, but how long SHOULD batteries last. Batteries have three distinct measures of life (run-time, shelf life and cycle life), and each type of battery chemistry has a different answer (alkaline, lithium-Polymer, etc.). For the answer to this common but complicated question, we must break down the answer for each chemistry. First let’s clarify the meaning of each measure of lifespan. ....... "

Thanks!

Read it!

Anyone want to make bets on those Alkaline batteries that have been in their packages, stored in my basement, since I purchased them in December 1999?

Good or dead?

Vinny
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:56 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:34 pm
The technology has probably come a long way, but I probably won't try another product until half the neighborhood is using it.
It hasn't come a long way.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:05 pm

😂 In that case, I guess I'll bide my time.
RIP Daniel Kahneman | Happy Good Friday
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:17 pm

Vinny

I think you are looking for something on a larger scale - 4 plus devises to charge at once - but I have been looking at the below as something to tinker with.

Biolite solar power charger for charging small devices (5 and 10 watt models)

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/ ... el-10-plus

They also make / sell a battery that can be charged via the solar charger
https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/charge-20

I have one of their stoves and it seems to work as designed
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:27 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:53 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Battery life:

Thanks!

Read it!

Anyone want to make bets on those Alkaline batteries that have been in their packages, stored in my basement, since I purchased them in December 1999?

Good or dead?

Vinny
Good AND dead. Kind of like the brief flurry of "looking good" on your deathbed just before you die. Then .... DEAD. Short version: don't depend on them. Get fresh ones for your survival kit.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:04 pm

Should have thought of this earlier...

You can get a good idea of prices, technology etc from websites like this.

https://www.emarineinc.com/Wind-Generat ... -Your-Boat

https://www.emarineinc.com/Pages/Articles-and-Tutorials
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:02 am

I have a couple Waka Waka lights that I've used for both light and recharging a cell phone. They work pretty well, and the company donates one to a shithole of your choosing when you buy one, which is very cool of them. It looks like they've gotten more expensive since I got mine, but they've also expanded the product line. This one might be what you're looking for.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:00 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:27 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:53 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Battery life:

Thanks!

Read it!

Good or dead?

Vinny
Good AND dead. Kind of like the brief flurry of "looking good" on your deathbed just before you die. Then .... DEAD. Short version: don't depend on them. Get fresh ones for your survival kit.
Week before last I went outside to get my mail and newspaper. Felt warm outside and I thought as soon as I finished working in next 15-30 minutes, I'd go to sit outside while reading and listening to music. Not 10 minutes after, while I was finishing working, I was seeing a downpour and tree branches moving wildly due to high winds.

Then the power went out. Fully expected it to come right back on. But it did not. And, there was a Yankees post season game on that night. I was not going to be able to watch it without electricity. But I could listen to it on the radio. I headed to the basement to retrieve those aforementioned old batteries (above).

I picked out a package of four AAA Everready "Super Heavy Duty". Put them in the radio and I listened to all for probably four total hours. The copyright on the back of the package says: "2004 Energizer". Not the ones I purchased in December 1999 (all of which I still own) but still quite old. But not "dead"!

Vinny
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:41 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:00 pm
But not "dead"!
Will jump in your thread like the Roman cavalry ;) For some sensitive devices (as safe boxes, which would otherwise require tricky way of getting energy from external power supply) I am using Duracells with PowerCheck technology - that way I can easily check their health any time and throw them away in advance. Found this page that explains a bit the technology behind, worth and short reading.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:35 pm

I don't have any experience with solar, but I have been contemplating a solar generator like the Point Zero Energy Titan. It may be more than you want to spend, but it appears to be pretty versatile, and you can also charge it using electricity from the wall, or using solar panels. There are several reviews and tests on YouTube available that go into depth.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Vil wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:41 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:00 pm
But not "dead"!
Will jump in your thread like the Roman cavalry ;) For some sensitive devices (as safe boxes, which would otherwise require tricky way of getting energy from external power supply) I am using Duracells with PowerCheck technology - that way I can easily check their health any time and throw them away in advance. Found this page that explains a bit the technology behind, worth and short reading.
Thanks. Saving for future reference. At this point, I'm not a big throwaway battery user of any type. Almost all the batteries I'm using are embedded in the devices, e.g., iPads, iPods, phones, and so on.

VInny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:54 pm

Sherlock wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:35 pm
I don't have any experience with solar, but I have been contemplating a solar generator like the Point Zero Energy Titan. It may be more than you want to spend, but it appears to be pretty versatile, and you can also charge it using electricity from the wall, or using solar panels. There are several reviews and tests on YouTube available that go into depth.
Had never prior heard of one.

Just did a quick glance at it here: https://www.amazon.com/BESTSUN-Renewabl ... 333&sr=8-1

NOT inexpensive!

Question would be for long the battery lasts and how often it would need to be replaced and at what cost.

At this point I only need something for emergency use.

However I have owned a propane generator for four or five years now (which I have never used). With a bonus that my across the street has a propane selling station. Therefore, I'd always have a ready, easy source . However, it would be more expensive on a long-term basis than using something powered by the sun. But it still might be less expensive overall for both fixed and variable costs considering how often I'd have the need. I have gone a day plus without electricity in those intervening four or five years without ever attempting to use the generator.

Vinny